Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

JRR Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien

hobbit middle earth tolkien

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

That's a lot of heavy reading. You should balance it with something like this;

#17    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

Anyone who is of the complete opinion that Tolkien should be dimissed because he 'borrowed' probably shouldn't listen to music, read books or watch film. EVERYTHING can be called derivative. Good on Tolkien for admitting it, though, which is more than most people will bother doing. And yes, the man basically defined the genre. That's not to say other authors have not, perhaps, perfected it, but everything out there is somehow touched by his work. Hell, just common speech was affected by him: prior to Tolkien, it was 'dwarfs' and 'elfs', as though common English rules didn't apply to fantasy (/mythical?) creatures. Obviously this is not the case any more.

I appreciate him first as a linguist, then as an author (as you might have been able to tell). I love the Silmarilion, and I don't understand how anyone can't, but then I'm bored to tears over the Hobbit, so that's that. Great little thread!! And nice collection, Nixon. If you can get a hold of his collection of letters, it would be worth a read.

View PostTwin Peaks, on 11 October 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

So where was Feanor, Melkor, Sauron, The Silmarills, Valinor, Luthien Tinuviel ,etc... before The Silmarillion?

Silmarilli. Tsk tsk, Twins.

do your palms ever itch?

#18    Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks

an invisible dream

• 2,957 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostHecubus, on 18 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Silmarilli. Tsk tsk, Twins.

Thank you Hecubus. And good to see you again:)

Posted Image

#19    Codeblind

Codeblind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

The Hobbit was the first book I ever read cover to cover and then read it again cover to cover a few weeks later
peter Jacksons film opens in the UK in two weeks time

Edited by Codeblind, 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

#20    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I like Tolkien and I appreciate his works I couldnt get through the Silmarilion that was like a tranquilizer to me, but I also love R. A. Salvatore, and H.P. Lovecraft, Edger Allen Poe to.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#21    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 30 November 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I like Tolkien and I appreciate his works I couldnt get through the Silmarilion that was like a tranquilizer to me, but I also love R. A. Salvatore, and H.P. Lovecraft, Edger Allen Poe to.

I cant vouch for Salvatore (never read him). But I throw in Robert E Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Great pulp writers.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#22    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 01 December 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

I cant vouch for Salvatore (never read him). But I throw in Robert E Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Great pulp writers.
Salvator has a very clear grasp of the genre. I like his writing a lot.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#23    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 01 December 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Salvator has a very clear grasp of the genre. I like his writing a lot.

I was always under the impression Salvatore wrote teen oriented fantasy potboilers for the Forgotten Realms brand. But then again, I rarely if ever read novels that are adapted from multimedias such as D&D rpg games, movies, television series, etc.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,386 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I started reading the Silmarillion in 2000 and while I was making my way through it I learned that my father had died.  Never picked it up again but now I may have to finish it.

Edited by and then, 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#25    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

I guess I'm in the minority but I loved The Simarillion. As a musician, the beginning hooked me with everything being created essentially from music, and I was fascinated reading about the early stages of Middle Earth, such as the origin of the Balrog, Shelob, and Sauron's early days serving the original Dark Lord. I'd love for someone to make a movie or three out of it.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#26    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've read The Hobbit and the Lord Of The Rings and the worry in my heart when I first saw that Peter Jackson was making the film adaptaion for the LOTR(please God let him do it justice was a common prayer). Now I have my children reading them. I find it amazing how much passion Tolkien still brings out of people. weather you hate him or love him his impact on literature music and film is undeniable.

Going to see the Hobbit with my boy on the 8th(please God let him do it justice.)

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#27    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 04 December 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've read The Hobbit and the Lord Of The Rings and the worry in my heart when I first saw that Peter Jackson was making the film adaptaion for the LOTR(please God let him do it justice was a common prayer). Now I have my children reading them. I find it amazing how much passion Tolkien still brings out of people. weather you hate him or love him his impact on literature music and film is undeniable.

Going to see the Hobbit with my boy on the 8th(please God let him do it justice.)
You werent pleased with LOTR then?

#28    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,300 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 07 December 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

You werent pleased with LOTR then?

Who could be? Especially if they are fans of the books.

do your palms ever itch?

Also tagged with hobbit, middle earth, tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users