Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lynch mob castrate rapist in India.

dlonewolf85

A man accused of trying to rape a teenage girl is in a critical condition after locals hacked off his genitals with a meat cleaver in a butcher shop.

(Read more by following the links below:

http://www.mirror.co...rapists-4413312

http://www.sundaywor...k-on-young-girl )

PS - I kinda don't know what to say about this (Except perhaps that this world sometimes feels like a very sorry place to live in for all of us :( ). But what do you guys think?

What has you troubled? The rapes or the vigilante justice or both?

For me it's hard to believe how a mob can beat someone for hours and he not die at the scene, (hours ago).

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Everything about this incident. Wasn't it clear? :)

For me it's hard to believe how a mob can beat someone for hours and he not die at the scene, (hours ago).

It isn't impossible though. I mean, what if they were only hitting him with their footwear and with slaps and all, before bringing in their 'big guns'? Ouch!

Everything about this incident. Wasn't it clear? :)

This is a public forum, you never know :) . Besides, what (legal) justice do rape victims have in India? Maybe the people knew this guy and this wasn't his first, and he was out and about to do it again. Anger and frustrations and fear can make people take matters into their own hands. It's a big country with a billion people and lack of resources to police/protect.

Police protection, the laws and courts and justice can be pretty crappy (to put it mildly) in some countries/areas. Heck it can be pretty crappy in the U.S too.

Not advocating for vigilantism, but some places that's all there is...and the rapes in India in the news lately have been tragic... no words...

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

....Besides, what (legal) justice do rape victims have in India? Maybe the people knew this guy and this wasn't his first, and he was out and about to do it again. Anger and frustrations and fear can make people take matters into their own hands. It's a big country with a billion people and lack of resources to police/protect....

I have a strong feeling this may indeed be the case there. After awhile people do sort of up and 'lose it' when criminals run rampant in their society. It's a disgusting turn of events for sure, but rape is a disgusting crime.

• Like 7

India has a history of downplaying rape and criminalizing the victim - there are two groups of people in India, those that disregard rape and blame the person being raped and those that have had enough of their daughters, wives and friends being raped and victimised by the system. It is a hotbed for vigilante retaliation like this.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

Actions like this is the result of inaction by police and government.

Vigilantes in Mexico are becoming wide spread because of drug related violence and corruption among government and police.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Im not for vigilante justice, but given the reaction by Indian authorities towards rape, its not surprising that this has happened

Edited by Barnacle Battlefront
  • Like 1

Yes it is true..

• Like 1

It's only suitable punishment for such idiots and, at least this guy won't destroy any kids childhood.

• Like 2

It's only suitable punishment for such idiots and, at least this guy won't destroy any kids childhood.

In any other country where the police force and legal system are not corrupt and biased toward blaming the victim, this would be nothing less that abhorrent. In India it is what some people see as the only way to get justice and to put some fear back into potential rapists.

I can't honestly say I feel bad for the outcome of the rapist but I do have a grave fear that vigilante justice tends to act on whispers and rumors as much as fact, it is only a matter of time before an innocent is made to suffer at their hands and that is the tragic reality, no matter how we feel about the crime of rape itself.

• Like 3

In any other country where the police force and legal system are not corrupt and biased toward blaming the victim, this would be nothing less that abhorrent. In India it is what some people see as the only way to get justice and to put some fear back into potential rapists.

I can't honestly say I feel bad for the outcome of the rapist but I do have a grave fear that vigilante justice tends to act on whispers and rumors as much as fact, it is only a matter of time before an innocent is made to suffer at their hands and that is the tragic reality, no matter how we feel about the crime of rape itself.

I don't believe it would be vigilante justice if it functioned based on hearsay. It would be second or first degree murder.

Cases like this in India where people have seen the rapist commit the crime, or the offender has a reputation for being a rapist are closer to vigilante justice. Or like in the movie "The Punisher".

• Like 1

There's been a spate of retaliatory incidents in India lately ~

Just early this month :

An Indian man who tortured and killed his daughter's alleged rapist before calmly turning himself in wanted to send a message that those who commit such crimes cannot escape justice, his wife has said.

The 36-year-old father of six turned himself into police last week and confessed to strangling his neighbour after the man allegedly admitted raping the 14-year-old.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told police he acted after discovering that his daughter was pregnant.

According to the police report, the teenager told her father she had been raped by the family's trusted neighbour and tenant, who had threatened to kill her if she told anyone. A doctor's report confirmed the assault, according to police.

"I was shocked because we treated the tenant just like our family member. He breached my trust," police quoted the father as saying.

• Like 2

I don't believe it would be vigilante justice if it functioned based on hearsay. It would be second or first degree murder.

Cases like this in India where people have seen the rapist commit the crime, or the offender has a reputation for being a rapist are closer to vigilante justice. Or like in the movie "The Punisher".

It's still vigilante justice - because vigilante justice is illegal due to the fact that it is usually based on hearsay (everything is hearsay until entered into evidence as statement for a charge against the perp) and the victim is not provided an opportunity to defend the charges in a court of law, there's no need to split hairs. Citizens taking matters into their own hands are always subject to charges of first or second degree murder, they cannot hide behind the term "vigilante justice" to avoid those charges under any circumstances.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

Happens the world over; we call it street justice, or to be tried in the court of public opinion, here but not necessarily just all the time. A Bolivian village had their own macabre take on how to dispense justice. http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/5363/20130607/suspect-buried-alive-rape-murder-bolivian-village.htm

• Like 1

It's still vigilante justice - because vigilante justice is illegal due to the fact that it is usually based on hearsay (everything is hearsay until entered into evidence as statement for a charge against the perp) and the victim is not provided an opportunity to defend the charges in a court of law, there's no need to split hairs.

I believe justice, in nature is just.

It's fair, honourable and honest.

It's about correcting a problem, and then punishing the wicked accordingly through means of law, which doesn't involve beating the ever-loving hell out of the criminal. That would make us just as evil as the criminal. If authority figures were to beat and wound criminals in the name of justice, well, it wouldn't be justice would it? The crooked authority figures would be no different from the criminal.

By this reasoning then, 'vigilante justice' is just a twisted and perverted form of true justice. So it's not really true justice, it's just vigilante brutality driven by anger and revenge. Driven by a desire to cause harm and suffering to the would-be suspect. I believe this practice is closer to murder than it is justice.

Citizens taking matters into their own hands are always subject to charges of first or second degree murder, they cannot hide behind the term "vigilante justice" to avoid those charges under any circumstances.

Indeed, for if it were in sync with true justice, there would be no reason to hide at all. I agree.

• Like 3

It's about correcting a problem, and then punishing the wicked accordingly through means of law, which doesn't involve beating the ever-loving hell out of the criminal. That would make us just as evil as the criminal. If authority figures were to beat and wound criminals in the name of justice, well, it wouldn't be justice would it? The crooked authority figures would be no different from the criminal.

By this reasoning then, 'vigilante justice' is just a twisted and perverted form of true justice. So it's not really true justice, it's just vigilante brutality driven by anger and revenge. Driven by a desire to cause harm and suffering to the would-be suspect. I believe this practice is closer to murder than it is justice.

You're telling us that killing a rapist is as evil as rape, I can't agree with such reasoning.
  • Like 1

You're telling us that killing a rapist is as evil as rape, I can't agree with such reasoning.

No, I'm explaining that there is no justice in vigilantism. Just violence and a desire for revenge.

No good comes from either rape or slaying the rapist. Both are evil.

• Like 2

Many of us have in the past said "castrate him" but not like this. This is quite barbaric, if you are going to do it, then at least do not behave as barbaric as the rapist. Do it "legally" if that is possible in India, but India do have a well trained section of doctors (thanks to their training in England) so all the courts have to do is hand the rapist over to them....(but imagine there will be a fee)

• Like 1

It ensures he doesn't rape again.

Perhaps, but it also encourages taking the law into one's own hands, along with murder and violent behaviour.

I believe rapist's are to be imprisoned and re-educated on what is morally right and wrong, difference between emotional love and carnal love, difference between good behaviour and evil behaviour, and find out if there are any underlying problems that cause him to act or feel the way he does about his victims.

If it begins in childhood, possibly when their minds are still impressionable, it may be tougher to get to the source of the problem but still worth a shot.

It's better than ripping their genitals open. What a nasty thing for anyone to do.

• Like 1

i would be perfectly fine with dragging every rapist out into the street and castrating them and then beating them to death. actually i would be more than ok with this. i support the idea wholeheartedly.

• Like 3

Vigilante justice occurs when the population feels disempowered due to the lack of any legitimate authority to deal with crime. With no effective justice system to turn to, they may resort to taking the law into their own hands. As mentioned previously, this invariably occurs with no due process and will often include 'mob' behaviours that are the antithesis of a healthy justice system.

What is alarming is the number of people who live in nations with functional criminal justice systems, that appear envious of the actions taken by vigilantes. And then continue to believe that they occupy some moral high ground. All whilst remaining completely unaware that they have become as bad as those they would dismember and disembowel.

• Like 2

Perhaps, but it also encourages taking the law into one's own hands, along with murder and violent behaviour.

I believe rapist's are to be imprisoned and re-educated on what is morally right and wrong, difference between emotional love and carnal love, difference between good behaviour and evil behaviour, and find out if there are any underlying problems that cause him to act or feel the way he does about his victims.

If it begins in childhood, possibly when their minds are still impressionable, it may be tougher to get to the source of the problem but still worth a shot.

It's better than ripping their genitals open. What a nasty thing for anyone to do.

reeducating someone to something they should already know is a waste of time and money. Removing them as a factor of possibility of repeating the thing they did is the best way to ensure they dont repeat the action. either via lobotomy, sterilization, or death would be the simplest solutions

• Like 1