Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neil DeGrasse Tyson View On Life Beyond Earth

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#2    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

i never tire of watching/listening to this man.. really need to get some books

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#3    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Im a big fan of science, logic and reason, and everything space, so II really like this guy. http://en.wikipedia...._deGrasse_Tyson

Edited by Hazzard, 26 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#4    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostHazzard, on 26 January 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Im a big fan of science, logic and reason, and everything space, so II really like this guy. http://en.wikipedia...._deGrasse_Tyson

Whose science and logic?  There are many.

He actually said nothing we didn't already know 100 years ago.

Posted Image

#5    John Weiss

John Weiss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• I didn't believe in the afterlife, but have learned to mend my ways.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Life definitely exists beyond the earth! Whether it's intelligent is the big question. An even bigger question is whether intelligent life exists right here on earth. I often wonder about this when I watch prime time TV.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,526 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 26 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

I watched this video earlier and thought it was well worth sharing. This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth. I was fascinated by his explanation in this video. What are your thoughts on it?

I like his quote -

3.30 onwards

"Are we alone in the universe? We're made of the most common ingredients there are. And our chemistry is based on carbon, the most chemically active ingredient i the periodic table. If you were to find an ingredient on which to base life.. you would use carbon. Carbon is the 4th most abundant ingredient in the universe, not rare"  

well worth a listen...

Edited by seeder, 26 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

It seems reasonable that there could be a continuum of intelligence in life in the universe. We might have little to say to beings several million years our senior, or they to us, assuming  their intelligence continues to evolve. Even if this is so, we might very well have valuable conversations with beings a few centuries or a few millennia ahead of us, just as we still find some of the efforts of our own predecessors to be of value.
In so far as stellar civilizations are able to communicate with one another, those not too dissimilar in their level of development may  be the ones we would expect to communicate with one another.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,526 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

View Postzoser, on 26 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Whose science and logic?  There are many.

He actually said nothing we didn't already know 100 years ago.

For example?  BTW logic is simply logic.

logically that is

Edited by seeder, 26 January 2013 - 06:12 PM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

He's my favorite mainstream scientist because his lectures and interviews make science interesting; it's how he delivers it. You can see his enthusiasm for it and the fact that he's a funny dude ads a bit of a stand-up comedy vibe to it. So you're laughing your ass off but at the same time you're really captivated by what Neil is saying.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I totally agree with him

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#11    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,699 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi Dr.Mrdad and welcome to UM :)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth" and what are our thoughts....
I don't understand ANYONE having ANY doubt that there MUST be LOTS of life ALL over the universe.... Are there such people???

All this video did was remind me how incredibly DUMB we are.

Edited by Paxus, 26 January 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,526 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostJohn Weiss, on 26 January 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I often wonder about this when I watch prime time TV.

I must be intelligent life then, I gave up on TV some time ago... (honest)

the endless and on every channel "Go Compare" (fat opera singer)  ads were the final nail in the TV's coffin

Edited by seeder, 26 January 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#13    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,007 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Amazing Man Indeed ! I vote Him for our next Pres ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#14    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,703 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

If i'd had a science teacher with half his enthusiasm when I was a kid, i'd have found it hard not to pursue those subjects back then.

Seen this vid before, nice to see it again though :tu:

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#15    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostPaxus, on 26 January 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Hi Dr.Mrdad and welcome to UM :)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth" and what are our thoughts....
I don't understand ANYONE having ANY doubt that there MUST be LOTS of life ALL over the universe.... Are there such people???

All this video did was remind me how incredibly DUMB we are.

I said "This is the most reasonable explanation of why there can be a possibility of there being life beyond this planet earth." when use the whole sentence it kind of makes sense.

In this video he gave an explanation for why he thought there could be a possibility of life beyond this planet, so I presented it in the same manner. I felt would've been unwise for me to say "This is the explanation for why there is life beyond this planet earth" because he didn't actually say that in this video and I did not want to present this video as my own evidence for entertaining the possibility of life beyond this planet.

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users