Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1952 RAF pilot UFO sighting revealed

The details of an interesting UFO report from 1952 have been released:

One of the most tantalising ever accounts of an apparent encounter with a UFO – deemed so credible it apparently convinced a British minister – can be told for the first time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/9292417/The-UFO-sighting-that-convinced-a-Government-minister.html

• Like 1

Very interesting and further underlines the need for full disclosure by all world governments. These 50 year old sightings are very convincing for many reasons, not least because they occurred at time when man made technology was not that advanced; it precludes the possibility of experimental craft. In fact it's hard to imagine anything today flying that fits the description of the sighting.

Z

I'm sorry Zoser, but i beg to differ on your statement, '50 year old sightings.'

It's all over the world since time immemorial, prehistoric days and i cite various evidences.

Cave paintings from the early paleolithic age, very clearly depict flying saucer shaped craft and helmeted beings, what look like modern day astronauts. Remarkably, cave paintings and stone from parts of Utah, USA, look strikingly similar to those found in Kimberley, Australia. Now we're talking 'cave man.'

There have also been many paintings during the middle ages down throughout history depicting saucer and cigar shaped objects flying in the sky.

You will even find such paintings in the Sistine Chapel, at the Vatican. One such painting depicts a UFO emitting a ray of light that touches the forehead of the Virgin Mary. The painting is dated sometime 16th century.

A list of such paintings and sightings.

'The Baptism of Christ' painted by Aert De Gelder in 1710 depicting a classic hovering saucer shaped flying craft.

'The Crucifixion' painted in Kosovo, Yugoslavia in 1350, the painting now lying at the altar of the Visoki Decani Monastery.

'The Madonna with Saint Givannino' painted in the 15th Century.

'The Annunciation' painted in 1486.

'The Notabillia Temporum' by Angelo de Tummulillis in 1465 depicting a flaming cigar shaped flying object. In fact the caption read 'something like a sort of weapon rose with a great noise and soared into the sky.'

In fact, the first official recognition of a UFO sighting was made way back in 1900 by President Teddy Roosevelt in an officially recorded photograph showing a UFO in Wyoming.

Please do your personal thing on these historical events. Quite amazing.

Really shows how less skeptics know about historical records actually. In fact, i'm inclined to think all skeptics usually think UFO's are just modern hoaxes by pranksters.

I accept the hoaxes and misrepresentations. But on a scale of 1 - 100, all 100 cannot be false.

• Like 1

It always astonishes me how leading scientists like Lord Cherwell could be so obtuse about this subject, denying that these pilots had seen just what they claimed to be seeing. Perhaps this subject was just too big for them and they had trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that something more adavanced than present-day technology was really flying around up there.

And I think that this report by Project Condign in 2000 had it just about right, since investogations in the U.S. and other countries have come to similar conclusiions over the years:

"'That (UFOs) exist is indisputable. Credited with the ability to hover, land, take-off, accelerate to exceptional velocities and vanish, they can reportedly alter their direction of flight suddenly and clearly can exhibit aerodynamic characteristics well beyond those of any known aircraft of missile – either manned or unmanned."

It went on that, although they existed, UFOs presented no threat to defence.'"

I don't think that they can all be attributed to plasmas, although some of them certainly can.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/6209684/Britains-X-Files-RAF-suspected-aliens-of-tourist-visits-to-Earth.html

Whether they are a threat or not remains to be seen, although at times the military has reacted against them in a very hostile manner, especially during the Cold War.

How can they deduce that "they are no threat to defence" if they can outfly anything we have up there?

Ok this is typical gremlin prank here!

The creature must have been standing on the guys shoulder without him noticing him holding a wooden stick with a string, waving a little ufo in front of him!

I can see it now!!

hehehe ;)

I'm sorry Zoser, but i beg to differ on your statement, '50 year old sightings.'

It's all over the world since time immemorial, prehistoric days and i cite various evidences.

Cave paintings from the early paleolithic age, very clearly depict flying saucer shaped craft and helmeted beings, what look like modern day astronauts. Remarkably, cave paintings and stone from parts of Utah, USA, look strikingly similar to those found in Kimberley, Australia. Now we're talking 'cave man.'

There have also been many paintings during the middle ages down throughout history depicting saucer and cigar shaped objects flying in the sky.

You will even find such paintings in the Sistine Chapel, at the Vatican. One such painting depicts a UFO emitting a ray of light that touches the forehead of the Virgin Mary. The painting is dated sometime 16th century.

'The Baptism of Christ' painted by Aert De Gelder in 1710 depicting a classic hovering saucer shaped flying craft.

'The Crucifixion' painted in Kosovo, Yugoslavia in 1350, the painting now lying at the altar of the Visoki Decani Monastery.

'The Notabillia Temporum' by Angelo de Tummulillis in 1465 depicting a flaming cigar shaped flying object. In fact the caption read 'something like a sort of weapon rose with a great noise and soared into the sky.'

In fact, the first official recognition of a UFO sighting was made way back in 1900 by President Teddy Roosevelt in an officially recorded photograph showing a UFO in Wyoming.

Really shows how less skeptics know about historical records actually. In fact, i'm inclined to think all skeptics usually think UFO's are just modern hoaxes by pranksters.

I accept the hoaxes and misrepresentations. But on a scale of 1 - 100, all 100 cannot be false.

…no one of the authors of these web sites takes into account the symbolic meaning of these strange elements in respect to the art of the period. Worst of all, by considering these elements as the representation of something real or really seen by the artist, they assume that the artist, eg. an Italian artist of the ‘400 [likely translation error--should be "1400s] or an anonymous Byzantine painter, [would] actually be allowed to insert any non canonical or un-codified element into a religious representation. On the contrary, in past times the commissioners (those who choose the subject and supervised the execution of the art work – in these cases the religious institutions) would have never allowed the [artist] to insert into a work of art anything other than what previously decided, especially in case of religious subjects.

In other words, everything in Roman Catholic religious paintings had to be approved by the Church before any public display could be allowed. The local Cardinal would have questioned everything in the work, and if the artist just happened to have seen or heard of shiny flying plates didn’t mean that he could put them in his painting.

http://www.ufomystic...-old-paintings/

You may want to re-address the validity of those 'historical records' that those ignorant skeptics are so unaware of.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 1

I think the last paragraph of the article summed up my position on this matter rather succinctly.

Dr Clarke, who is sceptic on UFO issues, said: "There is absolutely no doubt that something was seen by Hughes. He is not making this up. But the only honest position to take is that we don't know what it was. But there could be some sort of scientific explanation, before you start jumping to conclusions about alien visitors."

lol nice try to gain fame

If so, the guy never even got his 15 minutes worth, at least not until after he was dead!

An interesting side note is the alleged work of the Horten brothers who had supposedly developed a flying disk. This disc was used by the USSR to introduce a sense of fear into the western alliance as the USSR did not have a comparable atomic bomb at that time. Does make for a fanciful tale almost as uncanny as that of an alien derived UFO.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr

An interesting side note is the alleged work of the Horten brothers who had supposedly developed a flying disk. This disc was used by the USSR to introduce a sense of fear into the western alliance as the USSR did not have a comparable atomic bomb at that time. Does make for a fanciful tale almost as uncanny as that of an alien derived UFO.

http://www.npr.org/2...fos-or-the-ussr

This particular UFO was a little too advanced for 1952 standards, although I have no dobt that some of the big "mystery" surrounding some UFO reports is just a cover for secret military projects and tests. Not all of them, though.

I reckon it was a "Foo Fighter",seen by quite a lot of Allied and German Pilots and Crews,during the WW2.

archernyc and slave2fate.

You have centered your analysis just to Christian era representations in art on an assumption that art form was subjected to censorship by the Church, which doesn't seem to be the truth, as evident from the paintings.

On a study of the Bible, specially the New Testament, nothing is written or implied anywhere directly linking Christ and the Mary to flying saucers, and thus the artists would have been guilty of heresy, which in those days meant instant excommunication (if not being burnt at the stake).

However, what I would suggest is you study the ancient sanskrit texts from India right from Vedic times, starting from 3000 B.C., Japanese art, Korean writings, Chinese art, archeological exhibits from Kiev (Russia) dated at around 4000 B.C.

The Old Testament has vague references to 'a pillar of fire' or 'a hovering cloud,' or visions of God and his divine followers as in the Book of Ezekiel.

Accounts of fighter pilots seem to indicate their speed exceeding what we earthly engineers comprehend as 'possible' and they are subjected to undue emotional stress metted out by enquiry commissions, some even losing the flying badge.

A saving grace is, all throughout historical encounters, there has been nothing to indicate they have a hostile intent, this in fact being one of our human traits. A few things can only be obvious from here. Benevolence, intelligence and tight unwavering discipline and obedience in a particular heirarchy of power amongst them. In the absence of any of these, surely there would have been countless casualties, specially amongst flying crew and passenger airlines.

I am optimistic that this non-agression will one day culminate into a direct interaction for the benefit and progress of our human race.

The question is when.

Sorry for off-topic post.. but nephilim, will you be returning HERE?

I'm wrong on the agression bit, there was ONE account of a fighter pilot named whose plane crashed while he reported chasing a massive silver and shining object at an altitude of 30,000 ft in his F1.

The Mantell case occurred on January 7, 1948. He was a member of the Kentucky Air National Guard, and while on a routine flight, would become the first pilot to lose his life while persuing a UFO, at least that we know about. Just out of His Reach.

After Kenneth Arnold's sighting of 1947, there followed the subsequent much publicised and highly controversial crash at Roswell.

Following the Mantel case, it would be obvious that the authorities concerned, however skeptical they may have been, would not have taken any further chances. What happened in those last few minutes is not known or certain as his radio went silent and the official statement is he lost consciousness due to the prevailing lack of adequate levels of oxygen at such a high altitude, flying in a stressful mode ( as evident from the pitched messages conveyed on the radio about his chase and the details of the craft he was pursuing).

Did he lose consciousness and the crash followed as a result ? Or did the UFO deem him to be a potential threat in the chase and resorted to retaliatory action ?

I would go by the first, since if the earlier accounts on the radio are actually what he witnessed and are true, then the UFO knew it had superior flight capability and could maneuver away at higher speeds without any retaliation. But again, at that altitude, there is no cloud cover.

You be the judge my friends. I pray this never happens again to any pilot, fighter or commercial.

Didn't the US airforce release official reports of what entailed pilots who reported seeing something? Can't remember if it was during WW2 though.

• Like 1

Didn't the US airforce release official reports of what entailed pilots who reported seeing something? Can't remember if it was during WW2 though.

There were at least two reports on the "foo fighters" of World War II, but they have never been released to the public. I hsve heard that the report by Gen. Jimmy Doolittle was considered to "controversial" in its conclusions to be made public..

Some of the people involved in these World II studies of UFOs kept popping up in future investigations, like Donald Menzel and H.P. Robertson, whose real job was to keep the lid on all this as far as the public was concerned, while behind the scenes they were attempting to figure out what was really going on--if that's even possible.

If a UFO was seen today that had very unusal flight patterns I would think possibly secret advanced military aircraft. But back in the 40's and 50's would the military have that tech?

But back in the 40's and 50's would the military have that tech?

Ryegrog, that's a very good question and, considering the reports from this and other 1950's UFO cases involve flight characteristics, aerial maneuverability and rates of speed that we cannot even attain today, then I suppose believing the military are somehow in control of these objects is a conspiracy in itself.

This case is completely new to me (god knows how many others are out there) and it also sounds quite similar to this incident from three months later - right down to the object description, radar confirmation and log book records.

It also sounds remarkably similar to this report from December in the same year.

Cheers.

Ryegrog, that's a very good question and, considering the reports from this and other 1950's UFO cases involve flight characteristics, aerial maneuverability and rates of speed that we cannot even attain today, then I suppose believing the military are somehow in control of these objects is a conspiracy in itself.

This case is completely new to me (god knows how many others are out there) and it also sounds quite similar to this incident from three months later - right down to the object description, radar confirmation and log book records.

It also sounds remarkably similar to this report from December in the same year.

Cheers.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Bentwaters case near Rendesham Forrest back in 1980. I've watch documentaries on it and found it interesting.

I can't see how your response is relevant to my post??? Surely cave paintings depicting non-earthly beings or objects further supports the view that mankind has been witness to extraordinary happenings almost during it's entire evolution, and from all parts of the globe? I don't get your point.