Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Builders bulldoze Mayan pyramid in Belize

DieChecker

http://www.myfoxny.c...ramid-in-belize

BELIZE CITY (AP) — A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with backhoes and bulldozers to extract rock for a road-building project.

The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology says the destruction was detected late last week.

Only a small portion of center of the pyramid mound was left standing.

Dr. Jaime Awe says he was sickened by the destruction of the Nohmul pyramid and temple platform, which date back about 2,300 years.

Photos of the portion that remained showed what appeared to be classic Mayan-arched chamber dangling above one clawed-out section.

The Nohmul complex sits on private land, but Belizean law states any pre-Hispanic ruins is under government protection.

Crazy!!!!!

More on the story....

http://www.pasthoriz...es-mayan-temple

Noh Mul. it’s name means the Big Hill but it’s not so big any more, this once towering and stout ceremonial center in San Jose/San Pablo has been whittled down to a narrow core by excavators and bulldozers. Whodunnit? Contractors who’re using the rich gravel and limestone content to fill roads in nearby Douglas Village.

http://www.7newsbeli...y.php?nid=25471

Edited by Saru
Removed images due to copyright
  • Like 2

I don't have the heart to even read more of this madness ....

• Like 5

Oh my god no. Tell me this isn't true, so tragic. History gone.

• Like 3

And you watch the company that did this will probably only get a minor fine :/

• Like 1

Really sad. :td:

Yeah most likely. :td:

Unbelievable. I didn't fully take in the title of this topic when I clicked on it. I thought builders had accidentally damaged part of the pyramid with a bulldozer, by accident. Then was shocked when I saw the photo and read the article.

Edited by DKO

Oh my god! This makes me want to cry! How in the world could they be so stupid and greedy!

Mabon.

• Like 1

I know. When I read the article yesterday evening, I was like, "No, that can't mean what it implies". But then I googled some more and saw that they had indeed torn down a whole Mayan pyramid for limestone road gravel.

• Like 1

So they tore down some pos lump in the ground built by a bunch of idiots who believed in gods and sacrificed people who lost at games. Why is this upsetting people?

We don't have to preserve every damn thing our ancestors touched.

• Like 1

They could have made money from the pyramid as a tourist attraction. Then they could have imported the stone from another source.

• Like 2

So they tore down some pos lump in the ground built by a bunch of idiots who believed in gods and sacrificed people who lost at games. Why is this upsetting people?

We don't have to preserve every damn thing our ancestors touched.

I used to make fake accounts to troll on the internet too :yes:

...but then I grew up. You'll get there one day.

• Like 8

may as well go the extra mile

install a tollway on that new road

bunch of dirty ***********ers

Wow... what blatant greed. It really is disgusting. It's been part of the land and the people for over 2,000 years only to be brought down by a group of a holes. I am ashamed of them.

• Like 2

I don't know the local laws. Was this illegal even if it is on private property?

How awful!!! For gravel? Were they that ignorant or just not give a darn?

I would guess they just don't care. See this type of attitude all the time. Poacher will slaughter the last rhino for the horn. Different mindsets for some people.

• Like 1

Well since the site comes under government protection then what they did is most likely illegal but they will probably only get a small fine and then bring the rest of it down. More human history lost to the greed of others.

how aweful! each time something like this happens, I wonder what is going to happen to us all...

bunch of ignorants!

• Like 1

I wonder what karma is going to bring us as a result of this event.

My guess would be - Nothing.

would be nice if they would be forced to stop where they are and let archeologists dig through the rubble for any artifacts that may have been inside the pyramid.

Maybe something could be found that would otherwise have been lost to history through the preservation of the pyramid.

- I'm digging deep for a silver lining here.

• Like 2

tear down the old to make way for the new.

Clearly there is a conspiracy here - the site could not be used as a money maker with tourist dollars because of the sensitive secrets inside: alien artifacts; stargate portal, time machine, etc, so manufacturing this 'accident' was the only option. :devil: