Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens...Yes again

IBelieveWhatIWant

I've looked though some of the past threads based around the possibility of Extraterrestrial Life but from what I saw none of them brought up the point I am about to make, now I would have posted it in those threads but they have since been locked so here it is:

We used to think that the Sun and basically everything else revolved around the Earth not the other way around, which has been found as false so is it so far fetched to think we are the only life in the entire universe?? The points I'm about to bring to you have been proven by science and credited astronomers. Now I don't want to get into alien life on Earth or anything like that just the possibility of alien life.

To start there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe, on that statement alone brings the odds in my favour because if there are 100 billion galaxies there would easily be much more than 100 trillion planets so just saying we are the only life in the universe is saying the odds of us forming in the first place is 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000.

I wanna keep this post short so I'll just post the main points in this

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

Recently on Earth micro organisms we found to be living off of carbon dioxide. So who is to say that else where in the universe there isn't other life living off the same chemicals??

I truly believe that we are limiting ourselves for the possibility of finding life by only looking for similar planets to Earth when for all we know Venus could house life. Just because there is sulfuric acid for clouds and lava as oceans on Venus doesn't mean life couldn't survive there, just not life with our make-up.

Anyway guys I think I've taken up enough of your time, so have at it.

Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.

Good,bad or ugly I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated.

Maybe you should let people respond to your post as they wish... this beeing an open forum and all.

Having that said... I do believe that there is intelligent life out there, most of it though probably microbial.

Have they found Earth and are here on a visit.... I dont see any crcredible evidence of that.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 3

Maybe you should let people respond to your post as they wish... this beeing an open forum and all.

Never said they had to.

But if they do they can expect a response from me dripping with sarcasm

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Edited by DBunker

Your point is, because there's so huge a chance of alien life, it must have happened? This point's been made numerous times.

• Like 1

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Maybe you should read the first few lines.

Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant

lol thats gonna stump a few....

Maybe there's not one thread about this point, but it usually gets covered in any thread arguing about the chances of alien life in the cosmos.

Your point is, because there's so huge a chance of alien life, it must have happened? This point's been made numerous times.

It has been made, yes. But I haven't seen anywhere that I've looked any scientific evidence posted (maybe I missed that post though). So I thought I'd post it myself.

Maybe there's not one thread about this point, but it usually gets covered in any thread arguing about the chances of alien life in the cosmos.

That comment wasnt pointed towards you Hasina it was towards DBunker.

I did.... We have about 20 threads going on this..... The UM serach function is there for a reason..

That comment wasnt pointed towards you Hasina it was towards DBunker.

My bad D: but I think it was a good question even to me.

I did.... We have about 20 threads going on this..... The UM serach function is there for a reason..

So with points like these with scientific backing. Also I dont mean in the responding comments because good points usually get buried so quick in these types of threads unless they are the first post or something people are always responding to

So with points like these with scientific backing. Also I dont mean in the responding comments because good points usually get buried so quick in these types of threads unless they are the first post or something people are always responding to

Then maybe you should have dropped the "I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated" in the OP??

Anyway... Ill ask you again - What EXACTLY is the point of this thread?

Edited by DBunker

My bad D: but I think it was a good question even to me.

Yeah, well people usually don't even read 1 line of a post that contradicts what they believe, they usually just try to make a point to just try and discredit the post like DBunker did.

Then maybe you should have dropped the "I wanna know your thoughts but please no generic 1 word or sentence responses like to try and debunk the entire thing because I can tell you now, it just makes you look uneducated" stuff.

All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

Yeah, well people usually don't even read 1 line of a post that contradicts what they believe, they usually just try to make a point to just try and discredit the post like DBunker did.

Discredit!!!???

You were the one setting up rules on how we could answer!!

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 1

All I was saying is that it takes more than 1 sentence for an educated person to try and debunk something. Especially if it is near impossible to debunk.

Who in their right mind would try and debunk the possibilitys of life in the universe!!??

Maybe someone is jumping the gun a little here?

Discredit!!!???

You were the one setting up rules on how we could answer!!

*Sigh* I never said you HAD to respond a certain way and if you read my response to you in the first page you will see I said that if you do, you can expect a response dripping in sarcasm.

Who in their right mind would try and debunk the possibilitys of life in the universe!!??

Maybe someone is jumping the gun a little here?

I've seen people try and do it. Hard to believe but yes, people have tried.

I've seen people try and do it. Hard to believe but yes, people have tried.

There seem to be no limit to the silliness some people will believe.

Oh, and welcome to UM.

Second Point. As an educated guess by astronomers and based on the amount of planets found by Kepler in 2010, they judged an estimated 17 billion habitable planets in our galaxy alone.

So now if we look at the 100 billion galaxies in the universe and being generous saying in each there are 10 billion habitable planets that is 1 trillion possible habitable planets, that's just judging but the "ingredients" we are made up of and what kind of environment we need to survive

The way science uses the term habitable doesn't mean that life could live on said habitable planet. The scientific definition of habitable just means that the planet is in a general area around it's sun where liquid water could be present.

In astronomy and astrobiology, habitable zone (more accurately, circumstellar habitable zone or CHZ) is the scientific term for the region around a star within which it is theoretically possible for a planet with sufficient atmospheric pressure to maintain liquid water on its surface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitable_zone

That being said, the billions of habitable planets isn't a very good indication of just which planets actually harbor life. All it does is increase the odds of life being present elsewhere. I think there is a very good chance that life exists somewhere out there however even with something like probability there are no guarantees. Currently we don't know quite enough to be able to say with certainty that life exists beyond Earth. It's certainly not a 'fact' as some would claim.

Welcome to UM by the way, it can be a little rough around here at times however if you can stick it out there is a lot of information to be gleaned from a wide variety of members. I still learn something new nearly every day around here. :tu:

Yes, habitable may not %100 mean it could harbour life but I also stated that we shouldn't just be looking for life with our makeup either. With that in mind ANY planet with an atmosphere could harbour life.

Also I like that my welcoming was rough, shows that people are passionate for what they believe in.

Furthermore, there is a difference between a habitable planet and an Earth-like planet.

A terrestrial planet, telluric planet or rocky planet is a planet that is composed primarily of silicate rocks or metals. Within the Solar System, the terrestrial planets are the inner planets closest to the Sun. The terms are derived from Latin words for Earth (Terra and Tellus), as these planets are, in terms of composition, "Earth-like".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_planet

Our solar system actually has 4 Earth-like planets, Mercury Venus, Earth and Mars.

It may seem like semantics however I think the distinction is important to maintain between "Habitable" and "Earth-like" as those terms seem to get mixed together often. They aren't mutually exclusive however they aren't mutually inclusive either.