Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is feeding your children raw vegan diet nuts

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

For any parent struggling to get a child to sit straight at the dinner table, it may seem like advice that is, well, divorced from reality.

In her new recipe book, serialised in The Mail on Sunday, Gwyneth Paltrow admits that not only does she avoid eating pasta, dairy, sugar, bread and rice, but her children Apple, eight, and Moses, six, often follow a similar diet.

Internet chat rooms were filled with mothers, agog – where would they be without failsafes such as toast, pizza and risotto?  As well as being met with derision from parents, Gwyneth’s comments attracted criticism from many health experts who labelled her ‘foolish’. But is her approach as bonkers as it sounds? Perhaps not.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Cybele

• 11,633 posts

• A farce to be reckoned with!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Where to start?! :D

I am vegan apart from eating a couple of free-range eggs per week(that come from hens I know personally!), and about a quarter of my diet is raw(higher proportion in summer). The rest is cooked as little as possible. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. My diet is also sugar-free and I think this is a good place to start when trying to have a healthier diet. Once the 'jangley' sugar-craving has gone it's much easier to appreciate veggies.

Raw food is the best food because it is natural ......... AS LONG AS IT IS ORGANIC!! This is very important. The more refined a food is, the more additives there are, the more your body is put under stress trying to process that 'rubbish'(the body uses up energy and resources with no benefit).

And just to dispel the myth of limp, pasty-looking vegetarians: my vegetarian god-daughter has qualified to do cross-country running at County level and her vegetarian brother enters Iron Man contests and rows competitively.

The only thing you have to be careful with in small children is giving them too much fibre.

Dairy products have been linked to asthma for decades! They also increase mucus levels and lead people to have blocked noses and congested chests.

Makes me laugh that in the article they warn about putting children on 'exclusion diets' ........ as if excluding the things that are giving them chronic illnesses, limiting their (healthy)energy and making them nervy and anxious or aggressive is a bad thing!

Sometimes, Life's Tapestry is not so much rich as ripped. Although on reflection, I guess it can be both. :)

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,154 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

My reaction is that you go overboard and should practice moderation.  All the things you avoid are harmful when overdone, some harmful even in small amounts in some people.  Certainly smoking and alcohol and all that sugar-water should be avoided, but let the child be a child and have some ice cream and cake and candy and even pizza now and then.

#4    Betrayal of Humanity

Betrayal of Humanity

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

• Hitch your wagon to a star... -Emerson

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I am a vegetarian, have been my whole life, except for a couple of years do to pressure from someone else.  As long as they are healthy and growing there is nothing wrong with it. Ouija Ouija, do you eat sugars like honey, maple syrup, molasses, etc?

"The advocates of abortion on demand falsely assume two things: that women must suffer if the lives of unborn children are legally protected; and that women can only attain equality by having the legal option of destroying their innocent offspring in the womb." --  Robert Casey

#5    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Ouija, do you get enough B vitamins? Take any supplements, particularly B12?

Posted Image

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,194 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I sometimes amuses me to read that vegans have to ingest man-made chemicals (vitamin tablets etc) to suppliment their diet when most, if not all of those vitamins are available in a well-balanced omnivorous food intake!

Mind you, IMO calling your kids 'Moses' and 'Apple' is an even greater cause for alarm!!! Huh - trendies!

Edited by ealdwita, 24 March 2013 - 01:03 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hey guys! Love this topic! :clap:

We raise free range hens for eggs, and let me tell you, once you use free range eggs, you don't go back to the store bought kind. We're talking about getting a milk cow...fresh raw milk is delicious. We try to buy organic, and if we don't I READ the ingredients! Even if it's "organic" READ the ingredients! You'd be surprised at some of the brands out there, and their ingredients really aren't bad. I never let my two year old have anything that has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. And he eats lots of fruits and veggies. Not big on red meat. Likes chicken and turkey, but otherwise, not a big meat eater.  I'm not big on meat either. Never have really liked it. But, my husband thinks you have to have meat at every meal...sigh...
It's always a big treat for our family to go to Whole Foods once a month...Who would ever have thought Organic Pizza could taste so good... :yes:

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,154 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Most of the ingredients that sound so scary are preservatives, so odds are your corpse will last longer after you die.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,154 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

There is widely available here in Vietnam what are called quail eggs, although I think in fact they come from pigeons (you know -- marketing).  I wonder if anyone knows about them.  They are quite a treat hard-boiled with a little salt/pepper (salt and pepper here are served mixed together in the same shaker).

#10    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have been seriously thinking of going vegan for some time now. I am a meat eater though so it will be a hard conversion. I'll probably end up mixing it up and buy organic meat once in a while. I breaks my heart to watch my kids eat processed foods. I have won the High Fructose Corn Syrup war in my home. One day after asking my wife several times not to buy anything with it, I ended up dumping a bunch of juices she bought down the drain.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,154 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

We had a similar war here about MSG.  Having visited the States a lot I picked up that it was bad for you, so I banned it from our kitchen.  Wow!  You have no idea how important that stuff is to Asian cooks.  They were smuggling it in and hiding it.

Well I guess they were right and I was wrong.  It's not all that bad for you after all, and probably better, ounce for ounce, than regular salt.  Moderation I guess is the way to go.

#12    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,194 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

One of the joys of owning a small farm with a non-specific rating (growing all sorts of things rather than a single crop), is that all our veg, and most of our fruit is organic(ish), and thanks to one of my tenants having a small accredited herd of Frisians, all our milk is unpasteurised. Our chickens are all free-range (we get the grandchildren searching for eggs in the morning - the hens seem to lay them where they please!) We are lucky enough to have an old-fashioned family butcher in the village for pork, lamb and beef etc, and all our other meat - rabbit, wild boar, game birds and fish is supplied - ahem - (poached!) by 'a man'

Living off leaves, tubers and pills seems to me to be a very high price to pay for a few extra years of life spent as a dribbling vegetable in front of a TV set in some old folks home!

"A short life and a merry one, old buck"
(Wilfred Owen - 1893-1918)

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

My rule of thumb on ingredients: If I can't pronounce it, it doesn't go in my body! :D

#14    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postealdwita, on 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

One of the joys of owning a small farm with a non-specific rating (growing all sorts of things rather than a single crop), is that all our veg, and most of our fruit is organic(ish), and thanks to one of my tenants having a small accredited herd of Frisians, all our milk is unpasteurised. Our chickens are all free-range (we get the grandchildren searching for eggs in the morning - the hens seem to lay them where they please!) We are lucky enough to have an old-fashioned family butcher in the village for pork, lamb and beef etc, and all our other meat - rabbit, wild boar, game birds and fish is supplied - ahem - (poached!) by 'a man'

Living off leaves, tubers and pills seems to me to be a very high price to pay for a few extra years of life spent as a dribbling vegetable in front of a TV set in some old folks home!

Oh man, you are living my dream. Id love nothing more then to live on a small farm and raise my own food. Dig a huge pond and raise fish ect ect. That would be great.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#15    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,684 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

View Postealdwita, on 24 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Is unpasteurised milk not dangerous?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users