Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM Members, I need your help!

MrBene

So, basically this goes back in 1930 when a baby was born and left alone with a medal on a basket in front of a house. These people raised this little baby and years passed and that baby turned into a father, then a grandfather and finally he past away a few years ago. This man never knew about his origins or probably never bothered, but his grandaughter started to look for clues. She has the medal and she asked me and I had no idea because it looks like hebrew script and some faces that I can't recognise. Would you be nice to help me out with this? Any information that you can provide can bring a lot of joy to a girl in the south of Argentina, thanks.

5vhLHM8.jpg

89ocQDh.jpg

• Like 2

Do you have a local synagogue?

• Like 2

I agree, appears to be Hebrew. Could the gentlemen on the back be the Prophets Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and Aaron?

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 3

No sir, not at all. I know it's hebrew and it's a David's star, which we believe has something to do with the Jewish community but there's no jewish community or synagogue in this part of the world.

• Like 1

No sir, not at all. I know it's hebrew and it's a David's star, which we believe has something to do with the Jewish community but there's no jewish community or synagogue in this part of the world.

Email the images to a synagogue.

• Like 6

I agree, appears to be Hebrew. Could the gentlemen on the back be the Prophets Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and Aaron?

You're joking? Right?

The men look Russian to me.

1898 Hhhhmmm?

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 2

I don't know any, but I will. I was hoping there was someone related with the religion and could bring some light :)

• Like 1

There's a forum called treasurenet.com that I used to frequent. Many people there specialize on found metal objects. Good luck!

• Like 2

You're joking? Right?

The men look Russian to me.

You know, that was my first impression, they looked like Russian intellectuals or something but then I saw the back of the medal and I was clueless.

• Like 1

There's a forum called treasurenet.com that I used to frequent. Many people there specialize on found metal objects. Good luck!

That sounds interesting, I might check it out

• Like 1

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin

I would search "exonumia" sites.

• Like 1

The man in the middle MIGHT be Dr. Theodor Herzl, which would give some context here. http://religmuseum.c...__x5___75_.html I think they may be founding Zionists or men who are considered the founders of Israel. The short haired guy in the upper left MIGHT be Eliezer Ben‑Yehuda

I would suggest that you take a rubbing of the coin or take a very high enhanced photo (so the letters are distinct) and contact a coin dealer to see if they can offer other clues.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 6

The man in the middle MIGHT be Dr. Theodor Herzl, which would give some context here. http://religmuseum.c...__x5___75_.html I think they may be founding Zionists or men who are considered the founders of Israel.

I would suggest that you take a rubbing of the coin or take a very high enhanced photo (so the letters are distinct) and contact a coin dealer to see if they can offer other clues.

I thought the same. The others don't seem familiar at all though.
  • Like 1

The man in the middle MIGHT be Dr. Theodor Herzl, which would give some context here. http://religmuseum.c...__x5___75_.html I think they may be founding Zionists or men who are considered the founders of Israel. The short haired guy in the upper left MIGHT be Eliezer Ben‑Yehuda

Wow, thanks! :D That information that you posted is great value in this investigation!

I think the other three could be maybe Max Nordau, Leon Pinsker and Israel Zangwill, those five considered the founder fathers of zionism, which is quite scary.

Edited by MrBene
  • Like 1

So, basically this goes back in 1930 when a baby was born and left alone with a medal on a basket in front of a house. These people raised this little baby and years passed and that baby turned into a father, then a grandfather and finally he past away a few years ago. This man never knew about his origins or probably never bothered, but his grandaughter started to look for clues. She has the medal and she asked me and I had no idea because it looks like hebrew script and some faces that I can't recognise. Would you be nice to help me out with this? Any information that you can provide can bring a lot of joy to a girl in the south of Argentina, thanks.

It would appear to be a Commemorative medal of the 2nd Zionist Congress.

http://www.historama...898-detail.html

http://www.ebay.com/...AYAAOSwsFpWTi-J

• Like 8

This one looks to be in really nice shape for 1898. It appears to have a good bit of iron in its metal based on the red oxidation.

Don't polish it or clean it, or even touch it really. It's definitely a collectible piece. Keep it out of the open air, humidity, greasy fingers etc. and it'll age a lot more gracefully.

• Like 2

I'm glad Tiggs came up with the links, these were popular before Israel became a state after the last war. This granddaughter will have the experience of a life time when she researches her ancestors! DNA can give clues of countries of exile for lost links.

Edited by White Unicorn

Excellent work, Tiggs!!

BTW, suggest to your friend that she get one of the DNA testing kits. That should tell her more about her ancestry and she might even turn up a relative!

Wow incredible find Tiggs!!! I already gave her the info and she's happy to know more about this. Now, how is this linked with his grandfather still remain a mystery but she will go for sure for DNA test.

Now, what I am missing is why someone would have a medal like this, could you buy it somewhere? or were you supposed to attend and get one of these medals? Anyway, excellent, we already know what is this medal about, now we're missing the link between his grandfather and the medal.