Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged]Atoms reach record low temperature

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    B Randomly

B Randomly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    -Gandhi

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://www.livescien...olute-zero.html

Did anyone else see this?  Pretty interesting read..

#2    ozman

ozman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• dailytechfix.com is my fav tech news.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

it sounds like a contradiction in terms but scientists have reached temperatures that go beyond absolute zero in a lab, and get hotter as they do so.

Whereas we’re all aware of what happens when temperatures hit negative temperatures on the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales (hint: it gets really cold), the Kelvin scale is an absolute temperature scale in physics where it is not possible to go beyond 0 degrees Kelvin. Therefore, the lowest point that any temperature can reach is 0 K or −460 °F (−273.15 °C); at least that’s what scientists thought until till now.

Read more at http://www.tgdaily.c...rDXPzr8QG8Pi.99

Edited by ozman, 07 January 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Was just reading about this. Very weird. Look forward to reading more about it in years to come.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,511 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Wouldn't the use of magnetic fields and lasers as observational tools  impart a small amount of energy  to the observed atoms effecting the results ?

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#5    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Ok, so now they have to change what absolute zero is........however, when it's cold enough that all molecular movement stops, that's pretty cold......and they saying they have some thing colder? How did they measure it......if nothing moves, not even atoms.....how do you measure it? Seriously.

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,350 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Good question.

#7    KainFall

KainFall

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

• Nothing is as it may seem.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

WoW, A medium iv never heard of.. Something that is soo... COLD that it stops moving. and now.. A point that is apparently. MORE COLD, than that.. HAve you ever heard of Cold fire? or hot ice?? Crazy theorys..

Question.. does anyone realize world Phenomena.

Edited by KainFall, 07 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#8    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

Ok, so now they have to change what absolute zero is........however, when it's cold enough that all molecular movement stops, that's pretty cold......and they saying they have some thing colder? How did they measure it......if nothing moves, not even atoms.....how do you measure it? Seriously.
I believe they measure with equations, In science lot of things can be measured with equations.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#9    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

View Postdiablo_04, on 07 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I believe they measure with equations, In science lot of things can be measured with equations.
Then they are doing it wrong. Math =/= reality.

And there is no such thing called no movement. When an object seems to be immobile, it could be in movement compare to other objects.

#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostB Randomly, on 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

http://www.livescien...olute-zero.html

Did anyone else see this?  Pretty interesting read..

I can go one better than that lol.

When asked for an example of the smallest amount of energy or mass possible people usually state the vaccum of space but they are wrong. I shall use the ocean to demonstrate why. When people talk about sea level they forget the sea isnt flat because its surface has waves which oscillate. The vaccum of space does the same and oscillates around zero energy and zero mass.

You can collect the bits of energy that are below zero and its an exotic form of energy called negative energy. Due to the way in which waves behave all you need to do to turn it into a viable energy source is have two mirrors facing each other in a vaccum. The negative energy attracts the mirrors together.

The energy particles resulting from this small amount of exotic energy are like photons but called ghost particles. Anyway you can produce an exotic negative energy laser beam using them which instead of burning a whole through an object freezes it and drains its energy away. That includes going below absolute zero.

Exotic negative energy violates entropy, the energy is demonstrated to exist in the laboratory and its possible to create a system where the negative energy increases over time paving the way for a perpeptual motion machine.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

They supposedly took the sample atoms to within billionths of a degree of absolute zero, and tried various experiments on them. At one point the atoms started putting out energy, rather then absorbing energy. So the idea is that atoms near absolute zero only absorb energy, and can not put out energy. So they think they flipped somehow into a colder state where the atoms continue to move, and start putting out energy.

View Postdiablo_04, on 07 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

No they actually did this experiment and these are their actual results.

It is all in the article if you just read it. Some of it is heavy going, but most is not to bad.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

interesting

#13    B Randomly

B Randomly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

-Gandhi

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Absolute Zero is still the lowest energy-state of matter.  Yes, there are negative Kelvin, but as you decrease negatively, their energy increases.

They are saying it's colder, yet infinitely hotter, simultaneously, due to the properties it demonstrates.  Colder, because it's below Absolute Zero.  Hotter because a -100°K object will give energy to a 100°K object.

They measure it's movement, but I don't know what instrument they use.

#14    B Randomly

B Randomly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

-Gandhi

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 07 January 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I can go one better than that lol.

When asked for an example of the smallest amount of energy or mass possible people usually state the vaccum of space but they are wrong. I shall use the ocean to demonstrate why. When people talk about sea level they forget the sea isnt flat because its surface has waves which oscillate. The vaccum of space does the same and oscillates around zero energy and zero mass.

You can collect the bits of energy that are below zero and its an exotic form of energy called negative energy. Due to the way in which waves behave all you need to do to turn it into a viable energy source is have two mirrors facing each other in a vaccum. The negative energy attracts the mirrors together.

The energy particles resulting from this small amount of exotic energy are like photons but called ghost particles. Anyway you can produce an exotic negative energy laser beam using them which instead of burning a whole through an object freezes it and drains its energy away. That includes going below absolute zero.

Exotic negative energy violates entropy, the energy is demonstrated to exist in the laboratory and its possible to create a system where the negative energy increases over time paving the way for a perpeptual motion machine.

Never heard of this before.  Thank you, I'll have to look into it.  Sounds like something from a comic strip... robbing energy from an object...

Question on this, as you seem to know about it... if you do this to an object, for standard's sake, say a gold bar....  Steal the energy, reduce it's temperature to Absolute Zero... When it heats back up, does it's energy return, or does the object decay?

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 07 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

They supposedly took the sample atoms to within billionths of a degree of absolute zero, and tried various experiments on them. At one point the atoms started putting out energy, rather then absorbing energy. So the idea is that atoms near absolute zero only absorb energy, and can not put out energy. So they think they flipped somehow into a colder state where the atoms continue to move, and start putting out energy.

Ok, I didn't read the article just scanned it quickly. I'll have to go back and read it more thoroughly.

I do know that the Speed of Light changes, not that the speed of light actually changes but they can measure it more accurately. To the average Joe, it doesn't amount to a pee hole in the snow but it matters to high end energy physics calculations. I'm assuming the "new" absolute zero is the same sort of thing.

Edited by keninsc, 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users