Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

78,000 people apply for trip to Mars

Saru

Despite there being no way get home again, thousands have rushed to sign themselves up to Mars One.

An ambitious project to establish a human colony on Mars has attracted applications from tens of thousands of would-be astronauts, just two weeks after applications opened.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I thought there'd have been more applicants to be honest!

• Like 2

I thought there'd have been more applicants to be honest!

Considering the 'one way trip' aspect to this project I thought that it was called Mars One as they would only find one person dumb enough to get on the rocket. ;)

• Like 2

How do you survive without supply? Is it possible to create air, food, water out of nothing on Mars?

How do you survive without supply? Is it possible to create air, food, water out of nothing on Mars?

Yup, its a big bar really...

• Like 2

You create a biosphere where a constant growth of plants provides the oxygen and food, moisture would be converted to water as well as fluids from the plants themselves, the humans supply the carbon dioxide the plants require as well as the fertiliser and fluids, everything is recycled - absolutely everything, this should in theory create a self sustaining environment, right up until the first inexplicable crop failure.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

You create a biosphere where a constant growth of plants provides the oxygen and food, moisture would be converted to water as well as fluids from the plants themselves, the humans supply the carbon dioxide the plants require as well as the fertiliser and fluids, everything is recycled - absolutely everything, this should in theory create a self sustaining environment

Strange that a great example for how we could live on Earth might be set on Mars.

right up until the first inexplicable crop failure.

Classic :D

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Can I nominate myself and Kate Beckinsale,we'll be just fine but if Jessica Alba wants to make it a three I won't stop her

• Like 3

My colleagues and I were discussing the logistics of the Mars One project this morning. Apparently the plan is to extract the frozen water from the terrain through electrolysis. Greenhouses will be constructed to grow food (the martian atmosphere isn't quite close enough to what a plant will need to survive). Over the next 10 years or so, rovers will be sent to the red planet to build the "pods" and generally prepare the settlement area for human arrival.

It's all explained on the official website: http://mars-one.com/en/mission/summary-of-the-plan

• Like 2

Oh and just a personal note, I'm pretty sure the only applicants that will be selected will be the good-looking ones...

a ) Because there will be 4 live HD video feeds running 24/7 so Earth can watch this historic event

b ) One of the team members is a marketing/entertainment whiz

c ) Because eventually procreation will need to happen or there's no point in starting a colony... :whistle:

Edit -- formatting

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3

Oh and just a personal note, I'm pretty sure the only applicants that will be selected will be the good-looking ones...

a ) Because there will be 4 live HD video feeds running 24/7 so Earth can watch this historic event

c ) Because eventually procreation will need to happen or there's no point in starting a colony... :whistle:

It would be great if they run evictions based on public voting. They could just jettison the evicted 'base-mate' into space...

• Like 5

It would be great if they run evictions based on public voting. They could just jettison the evicted 'base-mate' into space...

Yeah we were joking about this project turning into Big Brother: Mars Edition or Survivor: Mars

• Like 3

Isnt there already a thread about this ?

Sounds like Total Recall (the first movie).

Has anyone from UM volunteered?

Not that I know but I could put a few names forward...

• Like 1

Edit -- formatting

Wanta bet one of the Networks will try to show this as the ultimate reality show? :yes:

Sounds like Total Recall (the first movie).

The better one, too.

• Like 1

If they're still looking for applicants, let's just let the info slip that there was an accident on Mars, and some rich person may have caused it. About a Trillion lawyers will leave for Mars to jump on that issue, and improve life on Earth in the process.

• Like 2

Wanta bet one of the Networks will try to show this as the ultimate reality show? :yes:

Let's see - there are 10 members on the "team". 3 of those members are bringing business/communication to the table as their area of expertise. Let's not forget about our most important member of the "advisors" list:

Steve Carsey - Steve Carsey is a UK television executive with a reputation for creating, developing and producing successful formatted entertainment, factual entertainment and event based programming for the international market

I'm not trying to discredit this project because I really, really want it to succeed, but we ALL know how media works: if they're going to be broadcasting 4 live HD streams 24/7, project sponsors will want their logos displayed as much as possible and the people on Mars have to look like they belong on TV. This seems like a serious scientific endeavour, but also reeks of a profitable media experiment... :passifier:

We can make air and water, usa's nuclear subs do. For food hydroponics.

i am not sure about these people signing up with no way back especially when its a suicide mission too.my life is valuable so i won't throw it away.anyway the best i could say to these people is good luck i love good old planet earth here so i am staying.but i have to admit mars does sound fun and exciting a new discovery and new life somewhere else is cool and fun to look forwards too i am glad to admit. what do these people get to a least increase their chances of surviving and etc though?

if it's a one-way trip, I reckon most of the chosen will be old folks.

fit ones, but still coming to the end of their three-score & ten, so I guess they'll be needin' a grave-digger.....?

If they're still looking for applicants, let's just let the info slip that there was an accident on Mars, and some rich person may have caused it. About a Trillion lawyers will leave for Mars to jump on that issue, and improve life on Earth in the process.

Now thats the Smartest Thing all day ! Welcome to the Show merlinof2 ! Your our kinda Thinker !

It is completely idiotic notion to consider one way trip to Mars a suicide mission. Sure there will be no return, but that is a necessary first step in practical colonization of another world, and people sent there are not expected to die in 1st year after their arrival, they are expected to put grounds for future mass colonization. It's like labeling first europeans who went in Australia or Americas as suidicers. The basis of suicide is desire to end ones life, and those guys would be leaving earth to begin a life.

• Like 1

if it's a one-way trip, I reckon most of the chosen will be old folks.

fit ones, but still coming to the end of their three-score & ten, so I guess they'll be needin' a grave-digger.....?

Honestly, sending us 'old folks' to colonize a planet would be one heck of a dumb move. Even if any of us 50+ folks would agree to go (and I doubt many would) the physical stamina needed just isn't there.