Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Migrants 'Buying Language Test Passes'

Still Waters

The Home Office has launched an investigation into claims migrants who speak no English are able to buy certificates showing they have passed a supposedly "secure" language test.

Secret filming at an exam centre showed the certificates - which are required by anyone wanting to remain in the UK permanently or to apply for British citizenship - were being sold for £500.

http://news.sky.com/...-passes-for-500

Couldn't they just have an in person interview to make sure they're able to carry on a conversation and then read and write in some paperwork?

• Like 4

we could save all this trouble if we had a points based immigration system. not the crap we have today, especially the unvetted immigration we see from across the EU. if i tried to migrate to Australia, Canada or New Zealand i'd need a letter from the holy ghost. but when anyone proposes such a system for here in the UK - they inevitably get called Racist. but throw the question back - so is Australia, New Zealand or Cananda, or any of the other 170 odd countries who employ the same points based system Racist? i think not, common sense must prevail.

• Like 2

You have no idea how many times I've been asked to take an English qualification test for someone (usually for employment but sometimes for immigration). This is that would be a good way to prevent my getting visas when I want them, plus of course it would be dishonest.

I do think though that demonstration of English is an appropriate criteria for would-be immigrants to English countries, just as Vietnam tends to want you to learn Vietnamese if you come here.

Panorama did a program about this very subject about two months ago. I got the impression that the government knew this was going on but frankly couldn't give a toss. This government & the one before it honestly don't care two hoots about illegal immigrants, because if the did they could stop it overnight with one simple piece of legislation, compulsory I.D. cards.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1