Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 11 votes

Best evidence for ET visitation - 3rd edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6153 replies to this topic

#6076    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Post747400, on 22 November 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

"This data is going to be one for the history books, it's looking really good,"

This data is? Clearly Grammer isn't a qualification for the lead scientist for the Curiosity mission at NASA, then. :angry:

If that truly is the case, then how would you phrase it?

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#6077    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,810 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostHazzard, on 22 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

The word data is the plural of datum, neuter past participle of the Latin dare, "to give", hence "something given".
So it should be "these data are".

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#6078    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostHazzard, on 22 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

http://dictionary.re...om/browse/datum

eta...

747 beat me to it lol... :su

Edited by mcrom901, 22 November 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#6079    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Not that these things bother me much, but if we must go down that path of yours,... its spelled Grammar, not grammer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#6080    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

A bit dull

• 26,810 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostHazzard, on 22 November 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Not that these things bother me much, but if we must go down that path of yours,... its spelled Grammar, not grammer.
You win the Donut for Spotting the Deliberate Mistake for today.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#6081    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostHazzard, on 22 November 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

its spelled

yuo forgot teh apostrophe

Posted Image

#6082    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

View Post747400, on 22 November 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

You win the Donut for Spotting the Deliberate Mistake for today.

BWAAA HAHAHAHA.... Nice try, dude!! :tu:

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#6083    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,905 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

View Post747400, on 22 November 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

"This data is going to be one for the history books, it's looking really good,"

This data is? Clearly Grammer isn't a qualification for the lead scientist for the Curiosity mission at NASA, then. :angry:

Oh, you have no idea. I review papers for scientific journals on a regular basis and sometimes even I have to shake my head. I am by no means good at grammar (in fact, I suck at it), but hand me Maxwell's equations or Schroedinger's, and I'll be right on it.

Scientists are not English teachers, they are scientists with all the flaws that it entails.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#6084    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

The question of using the apostrophe..... I never do.... decided not to a long time ago. :D

Hey Badeskov.... what do you think about the Curiosity find and the silence before the "storm".

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#6085    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,905 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostDBunker, on 23 November 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

<snip>

Hey Badeskov.... what do you think about the Curiosity find and the silence before the "storm".

My completely unfounded guess is that they have identified organic compounds that are either precursors to or the possible result of life. Complete guess on my behalf, though.

The silence before the storm is normal. Trust me, they want to be absolutely certain that they have all their ducks in a row before announcing anything groundbreaking, if that is what it turns out to be. That means that everybody on the team responsible for this analysis agrees with the conclusion and that all sources of error they can possibly think of have been assessed.

In other words, they don't want another Fleischmann and Pons.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#6086    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 23 November 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

In other words, they don't want another Fleischmann and Pons.

Cheers,
Badeskov
Or Allan Hills 84001.

Edited by synchronomy, 23 November 2012 - 02:48 AM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#6087    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,905 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 23 November 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Indeed.

Cheers,
Badeskov

#6088    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,528 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

I too think that NASA is being tight lipped due to due-dilligance ! We dont need no stinkin Martian Invasion News Hittin right B-4 X-mass , With all the fun and games we get in here anyway !

This is a Work in Progress!

#6089    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 23 November 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

Yes,...  After almost 20 years, dueling papers are still coming out, and the opposing parties are no closer to a resolution. :no:

It is understandable that NASA wants to be sure this time.

#6090    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

JPL said the findings will be revealed Dec. 3 at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco.