Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Poland rejects reparations call

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:25 PM

Poland rejects reparations call

The Polish government has said it will not seek World War II reparations from Germany, rejecting parliament's calls to reopen the controversial issue.
"The question of claims in Polish-German relations is once and for all closed," Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka said after a cabinet meeting.

Last week, Polish MPs voted for a resolution calling on Germany to pay for war damages.

Some six million Poles died after Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland in 1939.

Poland's communist authorities gave up all reparation claims in 1953.

But the issue has recently threatened to undermine the generally good ties between the European Union's biggest new member and its largest trading partner, Germany, the BBC's Adam Easton in Warsaw reports.

Thorny issue

The non-binding resolution in the Polish parliament - the Sejm - was commonly seen as a response to claims from a small group of Germans for ancestral property lost when Poland's borders shifted westwards at the end of the war.

An estimated 2.5 million Germans were forced to leave their homes at the time.

The resolution caused outrage in Germany.

One of the German groups, the Preussische Treuhand (the Prussian Claim Society), has said it will take cases to the Polish and European courts.

The German government had earlier vowed not to back the German group's claims on Poland.

However, a ruling in June by the European Court of Human Rights that Poland must compensate German citizens for lost property opened the doors for such claims.

Most Poles hugely resent such claims, and Prime Minister Belka said after the cabinet meeting such demands were "utterly inconceivable".

After also rejecting the Sejm resolution, Mr Belka said his government would try to put a figure on Poland's wartime losses.

Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz said such a move would serve as a reminder to "all those who forgot what World War II was, what its effects and consequences were".

For its size, Poland suffered far more damage and casualties than any other country, our correspondent says.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder - who has condemned the German claims - said earlier on Tuesday the Sejm resolution "must be rejected".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3657144.stm

I agree with the authorities.

Germany lost Prussia to Poland, Poland lost 6 million people to Germany. Furthermore, Germany lost 9 million people under Hitler. I think that makes up for it. After 65 years central/eastern Europe should stop squabbling (which started the wars in the first place) and move on.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:34 PM

I agree with you Talon, it was a long time ago, and it's time to move on

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#3    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:36 PM

I'm sick of all this reparation crap.  rolleyes.gif

#4    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

Every few years in the US we get folks calling for reparations for slaves.

I'm all for it...I think every slave should be compensated for what happened to them...

Oh wait, they've all been dead for over a century.

Nevermind.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#5    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 15 2004, 01:43 AM)

I'm all for it...I think every slave should be compensated for what happened to them...

Nevermind.

View Post

Exactly. That and the native people too. Sheesh.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#6    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:16 AM

What happened is in the past and although we should never forget it and always learn from it, some things we just have to move on and get on with our lives.

#7    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:20 AM

Nevermind.

Yeah,  thumbsup.gif stupid idea, just people trying to make money out of their ancestors suffering. disgust.gif

Another thing, I'm not condoning slavery, but if they're ancestors hadn't been taken as slaves, they could very well be in the Sudan or someplace at the mo huh.gif (assuming the change in timeline didn't muck up the family tree tongue.gif )

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#8    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:23 PM

WWII row clouds Berlin talks

Poland's Prime Minister Marek Belka visits Berlin on Monday for talks with German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.
The meeting will be overshadowed by the very public spat between the two neighbouring countries over World War II compensation.

Poland's parliament earlier this month passed a resolution, saying Warsaw had not received adequate compensation for the destruction caused by Germany.

However, Mr Belka has subsequently said the issue was closed once and for all.

Emotive issue

Even though the events are now 60 years old, the war has recently become a major thorn in the side of Polish-German relations.

Claims by a small group of Germans for ancestral property, lost when Poland's borders shifted westwards after the war, have caused huge resentment in Poland.

One of the groups - the Prussian Claims Society - has said it will take cases to both Polish and European courts.

That prompted the Polish parliament to pass a tough-worded non-binding resolution calling such claims groundless and urging the government to take up the matter with Berlin.

For most Poles, the issue of moral responsibility is clear.

For its size, Poland suffered far more damage and casualties at the hands of the Germans than any other country. Six million Poles - half of them Jews - were killed in the conflict.

Mr Belka has said he will seek a joint position with Germany during his brief one-day visit.

At the moment, neither government is willing to take sole responsibility for the claims. Until a lasting solution is found, this emotive issue is unlikely to go away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3692444.stm

#9    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:41 PM

Furthermore, Germany lost 9 million people under Hitler.

This has nothing to do with what Germany has done to others - they chose Hitler in democratic elections, no one forced him upon them. They also knew he would cancel democracy - because he promised it almost in every speech.
So the lost of 9 million Germans because of Hilter's regime is their fault alone.

On the other hand, Germany did lost all of eastern Germany to Poland (while Poland lost all of eastern Poland to Belarus and Ukraine), and that region was heavily industrialised, so one could say that this compensation was given to Poland (or actually taken by the Russians and given to the Poles).

I agree with you Talon, it was a long time ago, and it's time to move on

59 years is absolutely nothing, not only in human lifespan, but also in politics.
People, WW2 affected all of us daily up untill 1990 - the Cold War was one of results of WW2.
And there are still many people who live today, that for them that tragedy lives on eveyday.
There are also nations which lost too much in that war.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#10    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

This has nothing to do with what Germany has done to others - they chose Hitler in democratic elections, no one forced him upon them. They also knew he would cancel democracy - because he promised it almost in every speech.
So the lost of 9 million Germans because of Hilter's regime is their fault alone.

Hitler was actually very vocal in claiming he would reverse Versailles through peaceful methods, they may have been kidding themselves, but the average German did not want a war.

Just because they were our enemy doesn't mean we should be dancing on their graves.

On the other hand, Germany did lost all of eastern Germany to Poland (while Poland lost all of eastern Poland to Belarus and Ukraine), and that region was heavily industrialised, so one could say that this compensation was given to Poland (or actually taken by the Russians and given to the Poles).

Or you could say Belarus and Ukraine lost territory to Poland in 1918 when Russia gave territory to Germany which was then given to Poland.

#11    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,520 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:58 PM

Or you could say Belarus and Ukraine lost territory to Poland in 1918 when Russia gave territory to Germany which was then given to Poland.

The difference is, that there never were independent Ukraine or Belarus, virtually up untill the 1990s (if you do not include Ukraine and Belarus being republics in the USSR).
Poland, on the other hand, was destroyed by cooperation of three forces - Prussians, Russians and Austrians back in 1791.

Hitler was actually very vocal in claiming he would reverse Versailles through peaceful methods,

Hitler always spoke against the weimer republic's democracy, calling it weak and a constant reminder of Germany's lost in WW1.
Most of the Germans agreed with him, because democracy wasn't really popular in that Germany.

they may have been kidding themselves, but the average German did not want a war.

On the contrary - the average German wanted revange - against France, against Russia, against all the allies, because he was channeled to direct his anger of Germany's catastrophic economy to the "communist and jewish traitors who sold out Germany", and to retrive the lost lands of the "fatherland".

Just because they were our enemy doesn't mean we should be dancing on their graves.

Except for the social-democrats, homosexuals, and mental ills, I would not shed a tear on any of those 9 million Germans who died in WW2. They died believing in the monstraous ideology of Nazism, and for that I would always hate them. They were soldiers figthing to conquer the world and to kill my people.
They were, they are, and always will be my people's arch-enemies.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#12    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:23 PM

The difference is, that there never were independent Ukraine or Belarus, virtually up untill the 1990s (if you do not include Ukraine and Belarus being republics in the USSR).
Poland, on the other hand, was destroyed by cooperation of three forces - Prussians, Russians and Austrians back in 1791.

Actually the Ukraine was independent during the 9th century, it was just called Kievan Rus, and controlled much of western Europe. It was weakened by Mongol conquest and then subjugated by Poland during the 13th century. In 1654 it asked Russia to protect it against Poland, but the Russian took it as a invitation to absorb Kiev into Russia itself. Ukraine then declared independence during 1918, and there were years of civil war with the Red Army, but treated them like second class citizens like starving 5 million them in 1930s by taking there grain for Russia. It only finally gained independence will the fall of the USSR, Russia signing in 1997 a ten-year treaty which recognised Ukraineís full territorial and political sovereignty.

Iím actually surprised, given that Israel was a state a few thousand years ago, got destroyed, then got reborn in the post-WW2 years, I thought you would have been more supportive of fellow peopleís whose countries were removed from history for so long. huh.gif But I guess not.

Hitler always spoke against the weimer republic's democracy, calling it weak and a constant reminder of Germany's lost in WW1.
Most of the Germans agreed with him, because democracy wasn't really popular in that Germany.

Oh I didnít say he didnít attack Democracy, I said he didnít propose another war in public tongue.gif

On the contrary - the average German wanted revange - against France, against Russia, against all the allies, because he was channeled to direct his anger of Germany's catastrophic economy to the "communist and jewish traitors who sold out Germany", and to retrive the lost lands of the "fatherland".

Revenge doesnít equal war. Remember I did a BA. with honours in History/Politics on the subject, Iím not speaking blindly, I read the books, including lots of sources talking about the depression people where in Berlin when war was declared both in 1939 and 1941. Now the military, the elites, and the extremists they wanted war.

Except for the social-democrats, homosexuals, and mental ills, I would not shed a tear on any of those 9 million Germans who died in WW2. They died believing in the monstraous ideology of Nazism, and for that I would always hate them. They were soldiers figthing to conquer the world and to kill my people.
They were, they are, and always will be my people's arch-enemies.

Sometimes it is required you rise above hatred to move on.

#13    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,520 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:34 AM

Actually the Ukraine was independent during the 9th century, it was just called Kievan Rus, and controlled much of western Europe.

No, this is revisionist nonsence. Back in the 9th century, there was no Ukranian people. Heck - there were no Russians either back then.
Kiev was taken by the Varangian (Swedish Vikings) Rus in the 9th from the Khazar empire, a Jewish empire, which rulled most of Eastern Europe.
They were later (in the 10th century) converted to Orthodox Christianity by the Byzantines, and together they betrayed the Khazars (who saved the Byzantines from the hand of the muslims only a century earlier), mass killing them and converting many of them into Christianity.
Kiev is not even a slavic name, but a Khazar name.

It was weakened by Mongol conquest and then subjugated by Poland during the 13th century.

What really happened was that back then there were three main Rus city-states: Kiev, Muscovy (later Moscow), and Novograd.
They all were one and the same people - there were no Russians, no Ukranians, and no Belarussians.
When the Mongol arrived, the Lithuanians counter attacked them, conquering what is today's Western Ukrain and Polish Galicia, and Belarus.
The Lithuanians then, in the 14th century, created a Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, which was a Christian empire spread from the Blatic sea to the Black Sea.
Because the what would become Ukranians and Belarussians were seperated from the Russians (the Uk. and Bel. being part of Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, while Moscuvy being part of the Mongol Empire) for about three centuries, the languages and people branched out to three different nations: Ruthenians, white Russians, and Russians.
The Ruthenians, or western Ukranians, later were incited by the Austo-Hungarian authorities to develop their own identity, to counter Russian influence in Austro-Hungarian minority groups.
The Poles, back in 1918, did the same to the white Russians - aka Belarussians.

In 1918, during the Civil War in the ex-territories of Tzarist Russia, there where three factions in Ukraine - the Reds (communists), Whites (Tzarists), and Greens (ultra-nationalist Ukranians who commited grave massacred in Ukraine's Jewish communities.
I know this because my grandmother, may she live long, which is 93 this year, was born in Ukraine, 1911, and in the midst of that civil war, she and her family moved to Kiev. When I did my ancestary paper a couple of year ago, it became a paper in history - as my grandmother told me on first hand the history of modern Russia, from the Tzar to this day.

Iím actually surprised, given that Israel was a state a few thousand years ago, got destroyed, then got reborn in the post-WW2 years, I thought you would have been more supportive of fellow peopleís whose countries were removed from history for so long. huh.gif But I guess not.

Ukranian nationalism caused my people to lose 300,000-1,000,000 people in the 18th century, and many others in the 20th century.
Ukranian cossacks were a slavic version of the SS for many centuries, doing pogroms in Jewish comunities on daily basis.
And anyhow, as I shown, there was no Ukranian nation up untill recent centuries.

And on a more personall nore - you do know I am fond of ancient people restoring their independence. But as much you like, this simply isn't the case.

Oh I didnít say he didnít attack Democracy, I said he didnít propose another war in public

But I originally wrote about Hitler official anti-Democratic ideology, known by all Germans who listened to even half a speech of he's before he got elected. And anyway, Hitler's entire ideology was made known to public years ago, in Mein Kampf. The Germans can say anything but "we didn't know". They knew what they are getting into (from what was written in Mein Kampf), and so can't play naive about it.

Revenge doesnít equal war.

No, it doesn't, but when you want revenge so badly as to choose a man like Hitler, you simply don't care wether or not there will be war.
And frankly, from the support Hitler got from the Germans in 1939, I think most of the Germans wanted that war, so eveyone else in Europe will feel their shame and destruction of losing a war.

Remember I did a BA.

Talon, BA in one subject doesn't qulify you as an expert in all subjects.
As I recall, youre BA is in politics.
As much as Politics and History have in common (and they do have a lot), they are not the same.
Anyway I get the feeling that the version of history tought in Britain is different from the version of history I know.
There are simply tons of data most of historians in today's britain simply don't know.
I also see revisionism of history is pretty common thing in Britain - for example, youre notion that nationalism isn't a new phenomanon, but an ancient one (a surprising claim from some who did BA in Politics huh.gif), and that there was really an independent state called Palestine, that the Holocaust can be compared to the death of 20 million Russian soldiers, or 30 million Chinese victims of internal civil war, etc.

Remember I've been in Poland, I've seen the actuall places where the history you read about took place.
I talked to people who went through these events.
I have family members who are personally involved into these events.
My family came from that region.
I read books about it too, and not few, but many.

Sometimes it is required you rise above hatred to move on.

What???
mad.gif
Am I to understand from this sentence that I am to rise above my hatred to Nazis? to people who brutally and systematically, in a cold industrial fashion, killed 6 million of my people, including 1.5 million children, in a worriesome scientific effiecency?
To the people who killed all my mother's side grandmother's family?
To people who put my grandfather to a labour camp?!

Never!
mad.gif

Those of the 9 million who weren't killed because they were against the Nazi regime (or because they were targeted by the Nazi regime) could and should rott in hell for alll I care.

Posted Image

#14    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:20 AM

No, this is revisionist nonsence.

And anyhow, as I shown, there was no Ukranian nation up untill recent centuries.

And there wasnít any Israel either, I guess thatís all revisionists nonsense too?hypocritical no? tongue.gif

Anyway, in another thread you claiming (quite wrongly) that I had made the claim that Israel shouldnít build a barrierÖ because of jobs :blinks:. After that I find myself sceptical of what you say since it obvious you miss quote your sources and make them up too.  crying.gif

Ukranian nationalism caused my people to lose 300,000-1,000,000 people in the 18th century, and many others in the 20th century.
Ukranian cossacks were a slavic version of the SS for many centuries, doing pogroms in Jewish comunities on daily basis.

I find it funny you claim Ukraine isnít a true country then go on about they're atrocities towards Jews dating back 300 hundred years. All youíve shown is a group of people seeing themselves as Ukrainian did exist, do exist and have their own nation. Currently I donít give a stuff about what they did to Jews, its as much an issue here as the Roman extermination of the Celts, whatís relevant here is the countryís right to exist.

And on a more personall nore - you do know I am fond of ancient people restoring their independence. But as much you like, this simply isn't the case.

Please, I wouldnít dream of restoring ever ancient nation on the planet, its impossible. disgust.gif

But I originally wrote about Hitler official anti-Democratic ideology, known by all Germans who listened to even half a speech of he's before he got elected. And anyway, Hitler's entire ideology was made known to public years ago, in Mein Kampf. The Germans can say anything but "we didn't know". They knew what they are getting into (from what was written in Mein Kampf), and so can't play naive about it.

Political ranting, lots of people rant, didnít mean they believed it would led to a world war. Anyway, Mien Kampf wasnít even that big a seller until Hitler came to power.

And frankly, from the support Hitler got from the Germans in 1939, I think most of the Germans wanted that war, so eveyone else in Europe will feel their shame and destruction of losing a war.

Support in 1939? What did they have a poll on how much he was liked? If he did get support for the pre-1939 actions I'm not surprised, he conquered terriroties very quickly and will little to no bloodshed, any country would be happy in that time if their leader did the same (now in Europe you'd have more people thinking about the other people's rights, but that though didn't exist back then)

Talon, BA in one subject doesn't qulify you as an expert in all subjects.

In never said all subjects, yet another example of you distorting sources for your own ends.  rolleyes.gif However, while weíre here, in my last year I took a class (and gained a First in it) called ďHitlerís War: The study of German fascism and war from 1918-1945Ē. Guess what it was about tongue.gif

Anyway I get the feeling that the version of history tought in Britain is different from the version of history I know.

No sh*t, you seem to have a very anti-European view of History.  tongue.gif Mine was probably less-bias. thumbsup.gif

I also see revisionism of history is pretty common thing in Britain - for example, youre notion that nationalism isn't a new phenomenon

Again distorting history. I actually wrote a dissertation on Scottish Nationalism, in which I wrote in the definition of modern nationalism appeared with the French Renaissance.

and that there was really an independent state called Palestine

As you love pointing out the area of Palestine was called that by the RomanísÖ so its been there a while. Doesn't matter if it was independent or not, all that matters is the region became home to a national identity that saw itself as such, same with Ukrane.

Holocaust can be compared to the death of 20 million Russian soldiers, or 30 million Chinese victims of internal civil war, etc.

I hope youíre not claiming the deaths of 50 million people is not important huh.gif Please explain what you mean.

Remember I've been in Poland, I've seen the actuall places where the history you read about took place.
I talked to people who went through these events.
I have family members who are personally involved into these events.
My family came from that region.
I read books about it too, and not few, but many.

How come no matter what subject weíre debating it always manages to lead back to you. tongue.gif  rolleyes.gif

Am I to understand from this sentence that I am to rise above my hatred to Nazis? to people who brutally and systematically, in a cold industrial fashion, killed 6 million of my people, including 1.5 million children, in a worriesome scientific effiecency?
To the people who killed all my mother's side grandmother's family?
To people who put my grandfather to a labour camp?!

Oh for Godís sakesÖ disgust.gif  Nobody asked you to stop hating Nazis or forget about mass slaughter, what someone did ask you to do what remember that some of the men who died back then werenít evil, and weíre simply soldiers who were forced into the army, yet would have preferred there to have been no war, and remain at home.

Again, you love misinterpretating people so you can bring the subject back to you. rolleyes.gif  laugh.gif  thumbsup.gif

Those of the 9 million who weren't killed because they were against the Nazi regime (or because they were targeted by the Nazi regime) could and should rott in hell for alll I care.

Even though some were just children drafted into the war in its last days, or bombed to death by the allies. huh.gif No, the allies had ever right to do what it did to end the war, but I wonít wish little kids who were given a gun and told to shoot without really knowing what it was they were doing to hell.

The situation is never black and white.

Edited by Talon S., 28 September 2004 - 01:22 AM.

#15    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Child of Skaro

• 5,393 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE(Talon S. @ Sep 28 2004, 02:20 AM)

No sh*t, you seem to have a very anti-European view of History.  tongue.gif Mine was probably less-bias. thumbsup.gif

View Post

he has a point talon. the history i learn at chool will again show a different side of what happened. that is the problem with history. that is the problem with a lot of things, the POV about what happened will be different.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users