Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

China struggles to ban superstition

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,036 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

The process of banishing superstitious belief in China has proven to be more difficult than expected.

Yahoo! News said:

China is struggling to get its estimated 100 million religious believers to banish superstitious beliefs about things like sickness and death, the country's top religious affairs official told a state-run newspaper.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,315 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Good luck with that...IMO it's not likely to happen.

Also, I personally think this is more about the Chinese Government exerting/maintaining control verses helping people to think 'correctly'.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostLilly, on 25 April 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Good luck with that...IMO it's not likely to happen.

Also, I personally think this is more about the Chinese Government exerting/maintaining control verses helping people to think 'correctly'.

Coming soon to a Government near you!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Why? There is a fair body of research that argues those who maintain a sense of spirituality deal more effectively with the psychological and physiological effects of stress. Granted there are extremists who subvert religion to manipulate social and political thought. But, by limiting the freedom to think and choose, is not the ruling party doing exactly the same thing?

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Why? There is a fair body of research that argues those who maintain a sense of spirituality deal more effectively with the psychological and physiological effects of stress. Granted there are extremists who subvert religion to manipulate social and political thought. But, by limiting the freedom to think and choose, is not the ruling party doing exactly the same thing?
This is the first I've heard of that, and I seriously doubt it or psychiatrists would be recommended tarot cards.

#6    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

You would have thought that after 60 years of Marxist cultural indoctrination superstition would have been subdued. Alas, that's far from the case. I think the worst aspect is the cruelty inflicted on animals. Whether it's magical tiger bones or turtle soup for longevity, it's all just so unnecessary. And of course "consumption of dog and cat meat is believed to help keep the body warm in winter cold. Others say dog meat promotes sweating in summer and helps the body offload heat". That quote is from digitaljournal.com I'm not linking to the specific page because of gory pictures of cat and dog meat being "processed".

Time to ditch the Daoist alchemical crap and join the 21st century.

#7    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Frank, you have taken the extremist view, the one I cautioned against. I use the traditional definition of spirituality. And, do jump into google scholar, as a start, and check out the cited research regarding resiliency and stress or traumatic stress.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I disagree; I think you are inventing stuff, and I don't want to waste time on a topic that doesn't interest me much anyway.

#9    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Banning superstition is the first step to containing then finally eradicating the greatest mental disease in human psychology- organized religion. Once religion has been wiped out and no longer grips the brains of human sufferers in a choking, oppressive, chronic hold that prevents logical thinking and reasoning, hence leading to irrational violations of human rights laws, then we will finally be able to see over the currently-insurmountable, impenetrable wall of lies, fakery and deception that has pulled the vast majority of the human population into subservience for millenia.

Humans have time and again proven themselves unable to handle complete freedom in a civilised, non-violent, non-aggressive manner. When given complete freedom, they are bound to go astray, therefore the laws our justice systems have in place keep weak-willed, immoral people from furthering their evil agendas, subjugating other like-minded individuals into forced compliance.

How many countries (mine included) do you know where people are indoctrinated by the school, by the family and by the community such as peers, into the illogical thinking representative of organized religion- which stems directly and primarily from communal-based superstition? By educating the populace, superstition is effectively controlled, hence leading to a breakdown of organized religion through scientific reasoning and a proper understanding of the laws of Nature and of the world.

Organized religion is a mental crutch of ages long past that has no place in today's modernized society governed by the endlessly progressive pursuit of scientific achievements and technological breakthroughs. Read the news everyday. How many lives have been cruelly, mercilessly taken away by the members of organized religion and believers of superstition? If only they had been educated, taught to understand the absurdity of their false beliefs, would we then have seen the same crimes- the violations of human rights- that would have been committed had they not been given proper lesson instead?

I fully support China's government for being the flagbearer of our Atheist community. China will lead us into a glorious future utopia free of the dark ramblings and blabbery of organized religion, where we can then focus all our mental efforts and time (otherwise wasted through prayers) into pursuing knowledge that has not been tainted nor influenced by the falsities of superstition.

Edited by Ashiene, 25 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

A couple years ago my son saw some men catch a neighborhood cat with some bait and a net and then noose it cruelly.  Uproar time.  Once the neighborhood was alerted rocks and bricks were going at them from all directions and they barely got away.  The poor cat is still alive, and now gets free handouts from everyone on the street.

Truckloads of cats caught like that in Vietnam on their way to China are every now and then intercepted and get into the papers.  I guess the Chinese having done in all the cats in China are now importing them from elsewhere.  Not just cats; awhile back I read about a truckload of cobras.

Vietnamese, especially those from the north, sometimes have dogmeat, but not someone's pet.  They are raised for food the same way rabbits are.  It is true, though, that you don't see stray dogs in HCMC the way you see stray cats.  The poor here get them.

The Buddhist superstition here is to catch the local sparrows and sell them to temple visitors so the visitors can gain the karmic merit of freeing them.  It's a teenager business.  Of course the birds are use to it and appreciate the free meal.

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postredhen, on 25 April 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

You would have thought that after 60 years of Marxist cultural indoctrination superstition would have been subdued. Alas, that's far from the case. I think the worst aspect is the cruelty inflicted on animals. Whether it's magical tiger bones or turtle soup for longevity, it's all just so unnecessary. And of course "consumption of dog and cat meat is believed to help keep the body warm in winter cold. Others say dog meat promotes sweating in summer and helps the body offload heat". That quote is from digitaljournal.com I'm not linking to the specific page because of gory pictures of cat and dog meat being "processed".

Time to ditch the Daoist alchemical crap and join the 21st century.
If they could only get them to stop killing endangered species because they have this notion it will help them live longer or be more virile.

#12    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

You can say alot for the Chinese govt for attempting this.... I do think its a good idea to promote science rather than have people throwing around fantasies about religion, and fighting about whose fairytale is the right one.  I disagree with how the Chinese govt goes about suppressing these thoughts, but on a whole I think its a good idea.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#13    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,679 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

The problem is that eliminating toxic religions (which is ALL of them) is that it cannot really be done from the outside.
It has to come from within. Once people become educated about the real world and how it actually works then people will eventually realize that they do not need to erect shrines, temples or effigies nor do they need to crawl on their bellies like beaten dogs praying to rocks, foxes, snakes or whatever people give their power away to.

On the other hand one has to be watchful for just HOW the Chinese government plans to do this.
You won't gain anything by searching peoples homes for anything that speaks of 'superstition' either.

But in the course of doing this, wouldn't the culture suffer as well? You'd have to do away with mythologies/legends and any statues, paintings, drawings, etc of anything that is part of the superstition such as dragons, foo dogs, giant tortoises and so on.

In the end you cannot control what people think, they have to change the thinking on their own and at the barrel of a gun.

Edited by Ryu, 25 April 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#14    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,289 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I disagree; I think you are inventing stuff, and I don't want to waste time on a topic that doesn't interest me much anyway.
Says the person who lived under a communist regime.  He is correct however, studies have indicated people with strong spiritual beliefs do tend to be capable of maintaining a positive attitude better under stressful conditions than those who don't.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,274 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I don't see where I live is relevant?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users