Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gulf of Mexico - the final countdown ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

I post this link http://www.theoildru...ode/6593/648967 without reservation, in a new thread as I suspect it will provoke some very different responses to what has been said before. The author of the linked thread is a respected oil analyst, with both geological and scientific backgrounds.

I do urge you to read the article in the link  -  it will most definitely affect us all if it comes true. I'd like to hear what anyone who is expert in the field has to say.  

"I used to cover the energy business (oil, gas and alternative) here in Texas, and the few experts in the oil field -- including geologists, chemists, etc. -- able or willing to even speak of this BP event told me early on that it is likely the entire reserve will bleed out. Unfortunately none of them could say with any certainty just how much oil is in the reserve in question because, for one thing, the oil industry and secrecy have always been synonymous. According to BP data from about five years ago, there are four separate reservoirs containing a total of 2.5 billion barrels (barrels not gallons). One of the reservoirs has 1.5 billion barrels. I saw an earlier post here quoting an Anadarko Petroleum report which set the total amount at 2.3 billion barrels. One New York Times article put it at 2 billion barrels.

If the BP data correctly or honestly identified four separate reservoirs then a bleed-out might gush less than 2 to 2.5 billion barrels unless the walls -- as it were -- fracture or partially collapse. I am hearing the same dark rumors which suggest fracturing and a complete bleed-out are already underway. Rumors also suggest a massive collapse of the Gulf floor itself is in the making. They are just rumors but it is time for geologists or related experts to end their deafening silence and speak to these possibilities.

The video links from BP show some of the ROV's are far more intent on searching the seabed and measuring the lean of the BOP than the outpouring oil  -  is this a clue as to what is really going to happen next?

Is this the end of our civilized existence ? What will the final outcome be ?

Edited by Macroramphosis, 14 June 2010 - 01:25 PM.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#2    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

If the sea floor does collapse I can't imagine the out come. To nasty to think about really.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#3    katzemacht

katzemacht

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

Is this the end of our civilized existence ? What will the final outcome be?

The earth will never be the same.  I am mostly concerned about our health-this will effect the water and food systems.
Ironically before this all came about, I was reading an article (sorry, can't remember where) about there is still residue from the Exxon spill years ago- it is never gone.

This is devastating to everyone, and I wonder if who should be in charge is losing sleep because of worry...

Posted Image
Jaguars don't have time to wait~
http://action.biolog...action_KEY=1680

Jaguar

#4    promKing

promKing

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Apparently there is an easy way to clean this mess with microbes.

What do you think?

#5    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 14 June 2010 - 01:32 PM, said:

If the sea floor does collapse I can't imagine the out come. To nasty to think about really.

Maybe that's what it will take for people to drastically change their lifestyles.  I bet that if the United States fell to it's knees and collapsed you'd still have a huge number of morons cruising around in their Hummers babbling about the Constitution and their freedom and demanding more drilling.

"....What's that?  The United States doesn't exist any more so there isn't any more Constitution?  Well, that's the fault of the ****ing liberals. We should have drilled more.  Jesus put oil on earth for us to enjoy. I have a Christian right to use as much oil as I want.  More drilling please!"

#6    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostpromKing, on 14 June 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

Apparently there is an easy way to clean this mess with microbes.

What do you think?

I don't think this is even remotely possible.  There has not been one instance in history in which introducing a massive population of a new species has worked.  It might cause the ecosystem to morph into something different than what it would be without the microbes, but once the balance of nature has been wrecked, it's been wrecked.

People simply can't face the fact that they may have caused irreparable harm.  Actually, drilling to intersect the problem well has worked in other cases similar to this.  The chances that it will work again are realistically good.

So... the day before yesterday there was a flash flood in Arkansas that killed 20 people.  At the very moment there is a bizarre flood in Oklahoma City that will probably take lives.  A while ago people in Nashville, Tennessee experienced a flood so bizarre that they didn't even know what to say.  At the time friend of mine in Nashville said, "Uh...uh... something weird is happening".  The gorgeous beaches and marshes of the Gulf States are being destroyed.  There's more and more obvious death there every day.  And the people down there still say "Global warming is a hoax.  Oil is good.  Drill more, drill deeper".  WTF?  Obviously data has no meaning to them whatsoever.

#7    Insaniac

Insaniac

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

#8    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

I can't imagine this will kill us. It will force some changes, assuming nature doesn't pull her punches. I can see us surviving all of this with a few major, difficult changes made. . . heck, we'll probably survive it without them, but not in any shape we'd want to live in. Probably better to seriously work on alternative fuel sources, and to improve filtering technology to clean up the water. (Even if we don't fix the Gulf, we'll need the filters to clean up our drinking water if the hurricanes dump oil laden water into reservoirs near the coast.)

Edited by J.B., 17 June 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#9    Matt_in_Walsall

Matt_in_Walsall

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• The man of wisdom is never of two minds;
    the man of benevolence never worries;
    the man of courage is never afraid. - Confucius

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

It's a strange unnatural world that we live in, something has got to give! The oil is going to run out either way, leak or no leak, we need to change our ways. The United States is one of the world's biggest polluters, and i don't believe for a minute if this had happened in another country, it would have been such big news. This oil leak is America's pollution and arrogance coming home to roost, and i feel sorry for the American people who have been forced to suffer because of this. I hope they take BP to the wall and show big oil companies that they wont stand for it anymore, without harming ties with the British people, because unforetunately Britain owns 40% of BP and it did used to be called "British Petroleum". As a British person, i am sorry for what is happening to the Gulf Coast, and i hope we can all work together to clean it up. And work together to mend the planet. Alternative energy all the way.

#10    Captain Jirk

Captain Jirk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

Watch this movie.  It's chilling.  Peak oil is already a looming issue, and now this destruction of the eco-system in the Gulf of Mexico and the potential for serious ramifications for all of us.  The world is changing, and I have a sinking feeling that our society has become so out of sync with our planet that it is bound to self destruct.  Scary times.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,821 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

Over 750 more deep wells ready to split ther guts ! We will need to stop all Offshore drilling ASAP! Somebody Just Say Do it!

This is a Work in Progress!

#12    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:27 AM

View PostCaptain Jirk, on 21 June 2010 - 02:23 AM, said:

Watch this movie.  It's chilling.  Peak oil is already a looming issue, and now this destruction of the eco-system in the Gulf of Mexico and the potential for serious ramifications for all of us.  The world is changing, and I have a sinking feeling that our society has become so out of sync with our planet that it is bound to self destruct.  Scary times.

Oh man I did go watch it after reading your post and thanks for posting the hint. Great over view on just how dependant we are and how little we can choose as an alternative fuel. Everything we buy is due to oil, everything.  

Raining oil now

http://www.liveleak....=1f2_1277343220

Edited by The Silver Thong, 25 June 2010 - 02:28 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#13    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:58 AM

*just shakes her head*  And that fool judge in Lousiana denying the mandate to hold off on drilling..  Let's hang his nice white linens out in the next rainfall and let's see how he'll like having them oilstained -.-

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#14    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:24 AM

And in the meantime, yesterday,   Obama signs 2 billion dollars to Petrobras of Brazilfor their deepwater offshore drilling. You know who their chairman is, don't you ?

Horses for courses.

The really strange things to come out of this whole affair is that the six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling in the GOM, which may yet be overturned, has already led to 80% of the rigs there signing contracts offshore (mostly with Petrobas). Even is Salazar's moratorium is overturned, there will be little to zero drilling in the GOM for many months to come - the rigs will be gone. That's a small piece of good news, which undoubtedly will come back to bite us all.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#15    NeoSavant

NeoSavant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

More news developing:

Florida beaches boiling like acid
Possible 15-20 miles wide methane bubble may be forming according to experts
Mega disasters showing methane eruption

Edited by NeoSavant, 25 June 2010 - 07:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users