Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facebook to alter 'real name' policy

Still Waters

Facebook has promised to tweak its policy that demands members use their real or "authentic" names on profiles, following a backlash from advocacy groups.

The social network's "real names" policy, which requires users to use the names that friends and family know them by, is strictly enforced by Facebook, which says it helps root out online bullying and makes users more accountable.

http://www.telegraph...ame-policy.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranormalcy

• Still Waters

• Crabby Kitten

• Hawken

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I shouldn't and won't justify myself to a site for NOT using my real name. They're a site, and a totally optional one at that. EIther I choose to agree to their demands (which are ridiculous and outside of their right to ask) or delete my stuff - I'm not going to plead and explain until I have their royal approval and my case has been accepted and validated.

I however chose to switch to my name because I'm not worried about it for myself because I don't really do anything that needs anonymity on Facebook, so it's just the principle of the thing that bothers me - there are however other people that I think this could devastate, online-wise, and FB's position on this is dictatorial and not at all inclusive to users.

I use FB to communicate with relatives and old friends and they are the only people on my list.

If I ever have any problems with someone I'll just block them.