Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Potentially Innocent Man On Death Row:

Karlis

Robert Gene Will was convicted in the 2000 slaying of Deputy Sheriff Barrett Hill in Harris County, Texas. Will and another man, Michael Rosario, were caught trying to break into a car in December 2000.Both men fled, but Will says he was apprehended and placed in handcuffs by police. That’s when someone shot Deputy Sheriff Hill. arrow3.gifRead more...
Robert Gene Will's case goes back some 12 years ago, and he is on Death Row.

Please discuss, and add your thoughts.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Regi

• wolfknight

• Karlis

• libstaK

This is a little messy - I found this site with indepth discussion on the case: My link

It is definitely not as straightforward as him being handcuffed when the Deputy was shot - he was captured, his own testimony states he was handcuffed then another party shot the Deputy and released him from the handcuffs and finally handing him the gun the Deputy was shot with ... well worth looking into but I just don't know myself, like I said - messy.

Edited by libstaK

I just think we need to get rid of the death penalty all together. It is barbaric and our system is too corrupt to be given this power.

• 2 months later...

I just think we need to get rid of the death penalty all together. It is barbaric and our system is too corrupt to be given this power.

The system is ok, its just the way people are tried and convicted. The System needs to be looked at and over hauled.

There are loads of people awaiting death, and the sad thing is there innocent.

I haven't been able to locate any other articles reporting the facts about this case except for the one linked below which reports that- at the time of the murder- Will was believed to have been part of an auto theft ring and was on probation for auto theft. He was apprehended in a stolen vehicle.

If it's true that he was on probation, then he must have known that he'd be facing prison, but it really doesn't make a difference to me what he might have known as far as what happened that night.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/120900/sta_120900032.shtml

On the night of the murder, Will's accomplice had taken off in a different direction as another officer was in pursuit of him. Now imagine that for a moment... we have the accomplice, no doubt, running like the wind in one direction, and Will running for his life in another direction, and an officer in pursuit of each one.

To believe Will's account, we'd also have to believe #1) that Will's accomplice somehow knew that Will had been apprehended

2) that he knew When and Where Will was apprehended, and 3) that the accomplice would risk himself by approaching an armed officer to spare Will an arrest after Will is already in custody and after he himself had already gotten away, and 4) that he had time to do it

We might see something like that in a movie, but I believe it was SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE for the events to have occurred the way Will's claims they did.

Edited by regi

Everyone that is in prison is innocent don't you all know that. I think hanging should still be used. Lets a sob's suffer like their victims did. Let them swing and dance. Texas has an express lane to the chamber.

I disagree. I think the death penalty is an excellent idea, as it removes the scum from our society... permanently. However, there are exceptions to those sentiments, which potentially includes this case.

I disagree. I think the death penalty is an excellent idea, as it removes the scum from our society... permanently. However, there are exceptions to those sentiments, which potentially includes this case.

You have a lot more faith in Big Government than I do.

You trust the government to correctly kill your neighbors. Killing people is serious business. Your faith is big.

Hang all the scum bags and save money 150,000 a year for death roll per person.

The only problem I have with the death penalty isn't with the penalty itself, but that innocent people have been put to death.

I watched a documentary just yesterday called Into The Abyss which was filmed by an opponent of the death penalty.

The story is that two late teens killed three people in cold blood- a woman, her teen son and her son's friend- because they wanted the woman's freakin' camero.

Yes, three people died because they wanted a car.

Neither had remorse; to the contrary, neither admitted guilt, although they very obviously were guilty. Their attitudes were disgusting and added insult to injury.

One's been put to death. (Texas)

His buddy is spending life in a TX. prison, and as long as that's where he stays, I'm okay with that.

I'd certainly rather see a cold-blooded murderer put to death than to see him paroled (Kenneth McDuff) because some crimes are so heinous and callous, the perpetrators don't deserve a second chance, and nor should we assume the risk of giving them a second chance.