Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

New air battery proposed for electric cars


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

    Queen of the UM Asylum

  • Member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

IBM physicists are working on an air battery for electric cars which will help them outlast gas models.

New Scientist said:

ONE of the biggest drawbacks with owning an electric vehicle (EV) is range anxiety - a driver's nagging fear that the battery charge will not get them to their destination. Now IBM claims to have solved a fundamental problem that may lead to the creation of a battery with an 800-kilometre (500-mile) range - letting EVs potentially compete with most petrol engines for the first time.

Posted Image Read more...


'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    David Thomson

David Thomson

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined:13 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alma, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Nikola Tesla successfully used zinc air batteries in the late 1800s to power electric cars.  That technology was far simpler and much safer.  I wonder why nobody is pursuing zinc air technology?


#3    blueandi

blueandi

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined:25 Mar 2009

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

The problem is not just one of range though. I mean, how long does it take to re-fuel with good old petroleum,10 minutes tops? To recharge electric vehicles takes hours. This is the biggest fundamental problem with electric vehicles. The 100 or so miles range they have now would be adequate, if re-fuelling and charging times were any where near comparable.
Although 500 miles would allow many more people to consider electric vehicles viable.


#4    Goodnite

Goodnite

    Outsider looking in.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Joined:07 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pennsylvania

  • Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

From http://www.sbir.gov/...h/detail/120642
An even more promising technology looms.....
High energy density battery will be developed by combining metallic sodium anode with an air cathode. The proposed sodium-air battery is expected to dominate the performance of lithium-air battery. This battery technology is based on sodium conducting solid-electrolyte developed at Ceramatec Inc. The sodium conducting solid-electrolyte has conductivity in the range of 10-2 S/cm at ambient temperature and is expected to be chemically stable when in contact with sodium metal. The proposed electrolyte can be fabricated into a thin structure, which will significantly enhance the gravimetric and volumetric energy and power density characteristics of sodium-air batteries. The proposed batteries can potentially deliver energy densities exceeding 500 Wh/kg and cell voltages of 2.5 - 3.0 V with potentially high rate capability, charge retention, and shelf life characteristics required for military applications


#5    Zooty

Zooty

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined:20 Jan 2008

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

@Blueandi, I just don't see that as an issue. if you charge your car every night, like a smartphone, then you wouldn't really ever run out, assuming the range is increased. Which to me, means range is the ONLY real issue.


#6    UniversalCeleb

UniversalCeleb

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined:25 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern Tip of America !

  • Do Not Repeat The same Serious Mistakes of The Past !

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks For The Power Source Info  !
Now Locating All Those Electric Motors That Would Have Been Used In The Chrysler Town & Country Postal Mini-Vans is the Question  ?   I Hear They Are Already Using 250 HP Motors in EV Buses in LA, Toronto & Long Island already  !

View PostGoodnite, on 13 January 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

From http://www.sbir.gov/...h/detail/120642
An even more promising technology looms.....
High energy density battery will be developed by combining metallic sodium anode with an air cathode. The proposed sodium-air battery is expected to dominate the performance of lithium-air battery. This battery technology is based on sodium conducting solid-electrolyte developed at Ceramatec Inc. The sodium conducting solid-electrolyte has conductivity in the range of 10-2 S/cm at ambient temperature and is expected to be chemically stable when in contact with sodium metal. The proposed electrolyte can be fabricated into a thin structure, which will significantly enhance the gravimetric and volumetric energy and power density characteristics of sodium-air batteries. The proposed batteries can potentially deliver energy densities exceeding 500 Wh/kg and cell voltages of 2.5 - 3.0 V with potentially high rate capability, charge retention, and shelf life characteristics required for military applications



#7    UniversalCeleb

UniversalCeleb

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined:25 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern Tip of America !

  • Do Not Repeat The same Serious Mistakes of The Past !

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

That Company in Utah (Technology Holding, LLC) Has Been Working Many Years On Advanced Battery Technology, etc  !

View PostUniversalCeleb, on 14 January 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Thanks For The Power Source Info  !
Now Locating All Those Electric Motors That Would Have Been Used In The Chrysler Town & Country Postal Mini-Vans is the Question  ?   I Hear They Are Already Using 250 HP Motors in EV Buses in LA, Toronto & Long Island already  !





#8    kaptn k

kaptn k

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

View Postvolantis, on 13 January 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Nikola Tesla successfully used zinc air batteries in the late 1800s to power electric cars.  That technology was far simpler and much safer.  I wonder why nobody is pursuing zinc air technology?


I think originally it wasn't made because it was common belief that the gas engine would be cheaper and easier to make. As time went on, the auto industry became stuck with the gas engine and then dependant of gas. Making it harder and harder to switch til it got to the point that oil companies and auto companies were in bed together. Now, the oil companies won't allow the auto makers to change for loss of their main sorce of profits.

It's too bad that Tesla didn't go farther with his invention and create a company that manufatured his idea. Would have change the course of humankind for the better imo.

The American dream................never got a proper burial.

#9    blueandi

blueandi

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined:25 Mar 2009

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostZooty, on 14 January 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

@Blueandi, I just don't see that as an issue. if you charge your car every night, like a smartphone, then you wouldn't really ever run out, assuming the range is increased. Which to me, means range is the ONLY real issue.
Ok. So I need to drive 200 miles, my vehicle holds enough fuel to do, say 110 (not realistic I know;but just as an example), so after 90 miles give or take, I find a petrol station. 10 minutes later I can drive the remainder of my journey. 3 and a half hours roughly at motorway speeds, no problem.
In an electric car, that has a range of 110 miles, to drive the same distance would take an extra 5 hours or so, because of the length of time it takes to recharge (imagine waiting at a service station for 5 hours or more just to re-fuel). As I said, a higher RANGE would certainly go some way to alleviating the problem for many users, but not entirely negate the issue of charging. I can use my infernal combustion engined car any time, without having to wait for hours. Higher range batteries can not completely solve this issue with electric vehicles.
1)When Your smartphone goes dead, it doesn't leave you stranded at the side of the motorway.
2)You do not have to plan in advance when to use your car.
3)You can drive as far or for as long as you like.
4)You live on the tenth floor: You'd need an awfully long extension lead.
etc.etc.


#10    Teslasparkgap

Teslasparkgap

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Joined:18 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:9/11 TOWN mess you up....

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

If you check out Tesla and cars on the net you might find the story
with an iron pipe antenna for the power drive in Canada.
Researcher William R. Lyne noted the K Capture of iron to be around
7KV and set out to see what happened. A flame developed which he says
is Nitrogen burning. Did Tesla develop a steam turbine car or perhaps
all electric in some way. Tesla did say he could burn Nitrogen with
his pulsing electrostatic electricity. That statement was on fliers
for his Long Island Tower. Burning air as fuel has never been done
and perhaps the least of the many free energy devices Tesla made.


#11    devilmaycare

devilmaycare

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

Yeah well, the process of photosynthesis is far from their grasps yet they will invent something in order to keep you in theirs while touting a green design. How lovely. Get back to me in my next life when others have actually accomplished that fact.

If you have nothing you would die for, then you also have nothing to live for.

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that." G. H. Hardy




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users