Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bright Flash of Light

Dene

First of all let me give you some background info. I work as a Mental Health Practitioner and and very familiar with delusional thinking and visual halucinations. I do not believe that I myself am mentally ill or any of my family members.

Second: the location of these sightings is in Northwestern Wisconsin at our very remote hunting cabin. We own 80 acres of land but it is surrounded by thousands of acres of National forest. It is the only cabin down a dead-end dirt road and the nearest neighbor is a mile away. We frequenly hear wolves and see bears in our yard.

The first time we saw the flashes of light was 5 years ago. My then 12 year-old daughter and I were the only ones awake with my husband and son sleeping in another room. It was aprox. 11pm. I noticed a light down the road and thought a car was coming. I was watching out the window when suddenly there was a very bright flash of white light which looked like a camera flash only 1000x brighter right on the edge of the yard between the cabin and the road. I thought there was someone outside sneaking around with a flashlight and became very scared. We locked the door and sat quietly and observed the flashes going off intermittently every 5-10 minutes from different locations in the woods around the cabin. My daughter and I sat up for 2 hours observing this until we got too tired to stay up. The next day I told my husband about it and I tried to figure out what it could have been. I thought perhaps the DNR had placed tracking collars on the local wolf pack which had a flashing light on it so I contacted the WI DNR but they denied any such device and when I asked them if they knew of any other explination they did not.

The second incident happened later that summer about 10p. This time my husband and daughter where standing outside on the deck on the back side of the cabin when all of a sudden a flash went off on the edge of the yard not 10 feet from them. They came running in the cabin and said they neither heard nor saw anything other than the flash of light.

The third time was last summer when it was just my husband and I at the cabin. It was July and we were in bed around 11pm. My husband was asleep but I was awake and looking out the bedroom window. I noticed some flashes and though perhaps a thunderstorm was coming. I went out to the dinning room and looked out the window and observed a flash of light coming from the field behind the cabin. Out the back there is the yard then a short trail which comes out in a field. I went to wake up my husband to come see and we observed the bright flashes of light going off in the same location every 3-5 minutes. It originated at ground level and seemed like a bright ball of light which exploded outwards. It was so bright it lit up an entire wall of the surrounding forest. We stood there for an hour trying to figure out what could be causing it and when we concluded it must be alien in nature we became very frightened and decided we didn't want to see anymore and went to bed. I lay awake all night afraid that perhaps little green men were creeping around outside the cabin. The next morning we were very shook up. We took the shot gun and walked down the trail to the field to see if we could see anything but there was nothing to be found but briar bushes but nothing to indicate what caused the lights.

Forth time was this past New Years Eve. My mother and her Korean exchange student were over visiting from Michigan so we took them up to the cabin. Right after midnight my mother notided a flash out the side window and asked, "What is that; fireworks?" I told her, "No, that is those flashed I've been telling you about." The flashes went off intermittently for 15 minutes and moved from the South side of the cabin to the East side and went further back far into the forest. There was 3 feet of snow on the ground and the only way into our cabin is down the dead end road. Running behing the cabin to the East is a deep creek so there is no way anyone could come in or out from any other direction other than our road. The next morning we walked down the road looking for fresh tire or foot print and found nothing at all.

The last time was this summer- June 2011. My husband and I were at the cabin and right after dark the flashes began far off to the North and then came closer and surrounded the cabin on 3 sides. They went off about every 5 minutes from different directions and distances from the cabin. This went on until the sun came up the next morning.

I do not know what is causing these flashes but the fact that five other people have witnessed them make be believe I am not crazy. It is not lighting, northern lights or car head lights. As a matter of fact there is no electricity at the cabin as it is very primitive and no powerlines on the road. It is not a transformer. It comes from ground level and is very, very bright. I have searched for a logical explination but have never found anything that explains what we have seen. I would like to hear from others who have witnessed the same phenomenon. I have been trying to capture it on video and have one shot of a quick flash in the distance but it is inconclusive.

• Like 4

First of all let me give you some background info. I work as a Mental Health Practitioner and and very familiar with delusional thinking and visual halucinations. I do not believe that I myself am mentally ill or any of my family members.

Second: the location of these sightings is in Northwestern Wisconsin at our very remote hunting cabin. We own 80 acres of land but it is surrounded by thousands of acres of National forest. It is the only cabin down a dead-end dirt road and the nearest neighbor is a mile away. We frequenly hear wolves and see bears in our yard.

The first time we saw the flashes of light was 5 years ago. My then 12 year-old daughter and I were the only ones awake with my husband and son sleeping in another room. It was aprox. 11pm. I noticed a light down the road and thought a car was coming. I was watching out the window when suddenly there was a very bright flash of white light which looked like a camera flash only 1000x brighter right on the edge of the yard between the cabin and the road. I thought there was someone outside sneaking around with a flashlight and became very scared. We locked the door and sat quietly and observed the flashes going off intermittently every 5-10 minutes from different locations in the woods around the cabin. My daughter and I sat up for 2 hours observing this until we got too tired to stay up. The next day I told my husband about it and I tried to figure out what it could have been. I thought perhaps the DNR had placed tracking collars on the local wolf pack which had a flashing light on it so I contacted the WI DNR but they denied any such device and when I asked them if they knew of any other explination they did not.

The second incident happened later that summer about 10p. This time my husband and daughter where standing outside on the deck on the back side of the cabin when all of a sudden a flash went off on the edge of the yard not 10 feet from them. They came running in the cabin and said they neither heard nor saw anything other than the flash of light.

The third time was last summer when it was just my husband and I at the cabin. It was July and we were in bed around 11pm. My husband was asleep but I was awake and looking out the bedroom window. I noticed some flashes and though perhaps a thunderstorm was coming. I went out to the dinning room and looked out the window and observed a flash of light coming from the field behind the cabin. Out the back there is the yard then a short trail which comes out in a field. I went to wake up my husband to come see and we observed the bright flashes of light going off in the same location every 3-5 minutes. It originated at ground level and seemed like a bright ball of light which exploded outwards. It was so bright it lit up an entire wall of the surrounding forest. We stood there for an hour trying to figure out what could be causing it and when we concluded it must be alien in nature we became very frightened and decided we didn't want to see anymore and went to bed. I lay awake all night afraid that perhaps little green men were creeping around outside the cabin. The next morning we were very shook up. We took the shot gun and walked down the trail to the field to see if we could see anything but there was nothing to be found but briar bushes but nothing to indicate what caused the lights.

Forth time was this past New Years Eve. My mother and her Korean exchange student were over visiting from Michigan so we took them up to the cabin. Right after midnight my mother notided a flash out the side window and asked, "What is that; fireworks?" I told her, "No, that is those flashed I've been telling you about." The flashes went off intermittently for 15 minutes and moved from the South side of the cabin to the East side and went further back far into the forest. There was 3 feet of snow on the ground and the only way into our cabin is down the dead end road. Running behing the cabin to the East is a deep creek so there is no way anyone could come in or out from any other direction other than our road. The next morning we walked down the road looking for fresh tire or foot print and found nothing at all.

The last time was this summer- June 2011. My husband and I were at the cabin and right after dark the flashes began far off to the North and then came closer and surrounded the cabin on 3 sides. They went off about every 5 minutes from different directions and distances from the cabin. This went on until the sun came up the next morning.

I do not know what is causing these flashes but the fact that five other people have witnessed them make be believe I am not crazy. It is not lighting, northern lights or car head lights. As a matter of fact there is no electricity at the cabin as it is very primitive and no powerlines on the road. It is not a transformer. It comes from ground level and is very, very bright. I have searched for a logical explination but have never found anything that explains what we have seen. I would like to hear from others who have witnessed the same phenomenon. I have been trying to capture it on video and have one shot of a quick flash in the distance but it is inconclusive.

I'm sorry, I have no clue what those lights could be but I wanted to post just because no one else had! A mystery for sure.

I'm not sure if you have visited these links before, but the first one is where you can report what you have seen regarding "light anomalies" which might be a bit of help. It is run by scientists/students/volunteers who share an interest in the area of all types of light anomalies on earth.

There is this one on Earth Lights

And this is another one on The Earth's Anomalous Lightforms

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you have visited these links before, but the first one is where you can report what you have seen regarding "light anomalies" which might be a bit of help. It is run by scientists/students/volunteers who share an interest in the area of all types of light anomalies on earth.

There is this one on Earth Lights

And this is another one on The Earth's Anomalous Lightforms

Thanks for the links but how the earth lights are described do not sound like what we saw but I will post on that first website and see if they might be able to figure this mystery out.

Thanks for the links but how the earth lights are described do not sound like what we saw but I will post on that first website and see if they might be able to figure this mystery out.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's glowbirds imo. Type "Lanark Hotel Ghost On CCTV" to see footage of a luminous orb show it's head and flapping wings at t=52 secs.

How interesting....

Was there any sound accompanying the flashes ?

Could you actually SEE a discrete, point, light-source (in the sense of - say - a camera flashbulb) or was the flash just a general burst of light without a discernible spot source ?

Any particular weather conditions ?

meow purr :)

Edited by ships-cat

How interesting....

Could you actually SEE a discrete, point, light-source (in the sense of - say - a camera flashbulb) or was the flash just a general burst of light without a discernible spot source ?

I agree, some more information would be helpful.

The first thing that came to mind was automated trail cameras. But that doesn't completely fit with your story. It could be some kind of methan discharge - i.e. swamp gas - yes it's real. Is this an active area for gas exploration?

Here's an idea - next time you see it, grab your husband and whoever else is around and go check it out.

Sounds fascinating.

I've never seen a methane explosion (other than after a curry), but I would imagine they would not look like camera flashes. There would be a fireball of some sort, and smoke, not just a bright flash.

There would also be a noise. (and a smell).

meow purr ???

I've never seen a methane explosion (other than after a curry), but I would imagine they would not look like camera flashes. There would be a fireball of some sort, and smoke, not just a bright flash.

There would also be a noise. (and a smell).

meow purr ???

It would depend on how far away you are from it when it ignited.

Weeeeell.... Dene's description suggests varying distances on different occassions... as far away as miles, and as close as a hundred feet or so.

A methane explosion... dunno... doesn't sound right, somehow.

Do you know anything about the geology of the area? Earthlights are supposed to occur near fault lines.

This is just total speculation, but your flashes sound like electrical discharges of some kind (from a geologic source, like earthlights?). If so getting too close to them might be dangerous.

How interesting....

There have never been any sounds even when my husband and daughter were standing outside 10 feet from it- they heard absolutly nothing. Weather conditions have varied from clear, star-filled night sky to overcast and also a winter night where there would be no lightning. But I know the difference between these flashes and lightning. First of all, they are at ground level and there is always a single flash just light a giant flashbulb. Yes, I have seen a point, light-source on a few occasions when it is close enough. It looks light a ball of light about the size of a basket ball then exploding outwards like a giant flashbulb; if that make any sense.

• Like 1

Do you know anything about the geology of the area? Earthlights are supposed to occur near fault lines.

This is just total speculation, but your flashes sound like electrical discharges of some kind (from a geologic source, like earthlights?). If so getting too close to them might be dangerous.

I have wondered if it might be some sort-of electical charge. I think the area has a lot of iron ore because the Iron Range is close by. I don't think it is swamp gas because the descriptions of that is like a greenish fog like glow. I've thought of trail cams but why would anyone put trail cams on our private 80 acres? That also doesn't make sense because 2 of the flashes have been right on the edge of the yard and if we were walking around the yard we should have been tripping them. Also, the light seem to move around- first close then far and then somewhere else except for that one night when it stayed in the same spot in the field. We also thought perhaps the neighbor has a dog that roams around with a flashing collar. I did find where they make them for bear-hunting dogs to enable the hunters to locate their dogs. But this summer we stopped at the neighbor's house (which is a mile away) and knocked on his door and asked him if he'd ever seen any strange lights. He looked at us like we were crazy. We asked if he had a flashing collar on his dog and he said no then he showed us his dog- a little yorkie. If a wolf pack finds a dog they will kill it, I can't immagine anyone's family pet running around in a forest full of wolves especially at midnight on New Year's Eve with 3 feet of snow on the ground. We have also though maybe someone was playing a trick on us but why? And who in there right mind would go through a forest in 3 feet of snow with wolves? Plus we never found footprints or tire tracks on our road (the only way in.) I have been trying to find a logical explination and nothing fits.

• Like 1

I have been trying to find a logical explination and nothing fits.

I've got a link here which shows a luminous orb on a hotel's CCTV camera. If you fast forward to t=52secs then you'll see a bird's head bobbing and a left wing flapping. You've got the same thing imo

VIDEO: Security camera captures ghostly image at historic village

Also, read this posted in another forum:

Ok, Im posting this in the hopes that someone can shed some light on what this creature is that my friend and I heard for several years when we were teens.

Im open to the fact it may be an animal/bird I don't recognise, but I really cannot think of what it might be. I've lived in the UK my entire life, often in the country, and Im fairly sure I know most of our wildlife and the noises it can make. My friend has also lived in the country her entire life, and neither of us have an idea of what this was.

My friend lives in a big, old fashioned house in the middle of no-where, surrounded by woodland, in Norfolk.

When we were 17, almost 13 years ago now, my friend told me she had heard something odd in her garden the night before. She said that at first, she thought it was a horse whinnying in the distance as it had that screeching yet fluctuating pitch that horses have.

But she then realised it was far too close to their house to be that, and seemed to be coming from a tree. And it also had a very odd second sound running in tandem with it, a long, high pitched, consistent whine.

I didn't think much of it, I just assumed she'd mis-identified an animal or bird call.

My friend then heard it again another night, and this time paid more attention and gave me a good description of the sound:

It was a 'machine gun' like 'ah-ah-ah-ah' sound, that rose and fell in pitch from as high pitched as a squeaky gate to a low growling. It was relatively loud.

While this sound happened, a second sound ran in the background, like someone just pressing down on middle C on a keyboard and holding it there. It did not alter pitch, and didn't seem to stop for 'breath', almost like it was mechanical. A real creature would not be able to hold a sound that long without having to breathe.

She did an impression of it for me.

I was now interested, if only because I wanted to know what animal it was. I like animals, I like seeing wildlife.

I went over one night for a sleepover, hoping to hear it, but it was getting late and it hadn't made an appearance.

My friend and I decided to 'call' for it out of her window in the hope of luring it out. We didn't actually expect it to appear.

We opened the window, and I did the high pitched 'eeeeee' whine while she did the chattering machine-gun sound.

We did this for a few minutes (during which point we were glad no-one else lives near there, for the sight of 2 teen girls making crazy noises out of the window at midnight would have been a bit worrying), and nothing 'called back'.

I told her we'd swap, that she'd do the whining, and I'd do my interpretation of what she'd described.

Again, nothing emerged so we got bored and decided to just mess around. I began repeating the sound, but louder and more angrily, as if I was shouting at the thing. Within seconds, we heard the 'whine' start up, and both froze.

Then the other sound chimed in. It was exactly as she'd described and clearly something residing in the tree opposite the window. It was dark, and the tree had lots of leaves, so we couldn't actually see anything, we could just hear it.

I wasn't scared at this point, as I was too busy trying to work out what it could be. I think my friend was just pleased someone other than her had heard it, as apparently her parents claimed not to ever hear it.

I continued calling to it, messing it about a little, and it suddenly sounded really ticked off. It got louder and more growly and aggressive, and we both freaked out a little and slammed the window.

It died down about 30 seconds after that, and we gave up on it for the night because we were both a little freaked out.

A few nights later, my friend met with me and told me she'd heard it again the night before, but this time, it threw itself at her window.

It was calling for perhaps a minute, then it paused, and she suddenly heard a 'whump' against her window.

Shortly after, her dad came into her room asking what the bang was. When he looked, there was no sign of any impact with the window, and no signs of anything on the ground below.

After this, we kinda put it out of our minds, and it wasn't heard again for a long time. Then one night, we were out camping in a tent in the yard. The 'garden' was basically a huge expanse of woodland and fields, so we'd sometimes camp out there for fun.

We were just chatting in the tent, quite late, and it just randomly began chattering from the tree above the tent. We hadn't heard it in so long that we both just looked at one another, listened for a while, then carried on talking. It kept going for ages. But this time, it seemed it didn't have the high pitched 'whine' with it. This was the first time we'd heard it without that.

As far as I know, this was the last time it was heard.

Neither me nor her have heard it since.

At the time it was around, several dead birds were found scattered about the area. But there are feral cats, birds of prey, and probably weasels in the area, so Im not saying it had to be connected to the sound.

So....does anyone have any idea what this could have been?

I've searched extensively for sounds of british animals, and nothing matches, they all sound far too recognisably 'bird-like' or obviously animal like.I've searched ever since these events for something which sounds like this, and yet to find anything.

I suppose what we can conclude is that it lives in a tree.

It can either fly or jump, given that it threw itself at an upstairs window some 15-20 metres away from the tree. I don't know any british animal that could jump that distance in one, so Im having to conclude it flew.

If it flies, that suggests one of only two things in england that do: birds and bats.

British bats tend to be very small, shy, not the kind of animal that would sit in a tree and shout at people. I also doubt any british bat could fly into a window with enough force that it could be heard on the other side of the house.

So that leaves bird. And a bird that seems to come out at night, as we never heard it in the daytime. I've checked out the call of every night bird in the UK, and nothing that matches.

My friend and I have always referred to it as 'the thing'. Even now, we talk about 'the thing' and still speculate as to what it was.

Obviously, most people we tell either don't believe us or try and tell us it 'was a duck' or 'it was a squirrel'. I know it wasn't anything I've heard before or since, and I know my knowledge of wildlife isn't lacking.

So I wonder if it were something that shouldn't have been here at all, some kind of foreign species. It was heard for about 2 years before we stopped hearing it, so that might give some idea as to its lifespan.

If it wasn't an actual animal, I really don't know.

Anyone who could give an idea of what it might be, natural or supernatural, that would be great!

Edited by Le Lapedalleur
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I first read your post last year some months after my fiance and I first had our own light flash experiences let me first give you some back ground on myself and my fiance and where we live.I have always been what most would refer to as a free spirit and have traveled much of the world and always have had an interest in what most would call the supernatural even though NO ONE in my immediate or extended family is remotley interested. Since a very young age I have been drawn to these fringe topics. I NEVER had a tangible experience myself.my gut tells me there is more out there we as humans cannot sense with the 5 senses we are aware of presently.my fiance is a very successful and well known attourney in the area we live in (virginia beach va) and while he feels the same way about the unknown and unexplained he is does not buy most of the "new agey" rederic. We live in the house his parents (deceased some 6 or so yrs ago)built on the water on an inlet (not ocean front) and while I and my 4 yr old daughter do feel what we assume to be my fiances parents prescence here from time to time I do not believe they are the source of these flashes. This is how our experiences started. Last year in june around 10 pm my fiance and I were laying in bed and a very very bright light flashed outside our window(15 ft of window facing the wateron the second floor) the flaah was very close to the window it was if an old timey camera flash had gone off and we both simultaneousley looked at each other and asked "what the hell was that?" We turned on our flood lights outside and looked out window and nothing was there not a boat on the water not a plane over head nothing my fiance went outside to look around and he too found nothing ( I was 4 mos pregnant w my 2nd child ) the second instance occurred in I would say october the same exact thing happened same 2 people present the same time the same flash in the same place and it ellicited the same response from us same investigation by us no answers then in november it happened to me the same time same place but I was alone this time and the interesting thing was it did not scare me it did not leave me with a strange or threatened feeling even though I had a 4 yr old sleeping downstairs and one in the oven and was a female alone in a house at night and to make this post a little more brief it happened again to me alone and it happened to my fiance twice while he was alone the last time it happened was 2 mos ago to him always around the same time in the exact same place and I would really like some answers if u have made any progress on this please let me know

• Like 2

I have wondered if it might be some sort-of electical charge. I think the area has a lot of iron ore because the Iron Range is close by. I don't think it is swamp gas because the descriptions of that is like a greenish fog like glow. I've thought of trail cams but why would anyone put trail cams on our private 80 acres? That also doesn't make sense because 2 of the flashes have been right on the edge of the yard and if we were walking around the yard we should have been tripping them. Also, the light seem to move around- first close then far and then somewhere else except for that one night when it stayed in the same spot in the field. We also thought perhaps the neighbor has a dog that roams around with a flashing collar. I did find where they make them for bear-hunting dogs to enable the hunters to locate their dogs. But this summer we stopped at the neighbor's house (which is a mile away) and knocked on his door and asked him if he'd ever seen any strange lights. He looked at us like we were crazy. We asked if he had a flashing collar on his dog and he said no then he showed us his dog- a little yorkie. If a wolf pack finds a dog they will kill it, I can't immagine anyone's family pet running around in a forest full of wolves especially at midnight on New Year's Eve with 3 feet of snow on the ground. We have also though maybe someone was playing a trick on us but why? And who in there right mind would go through a forest in 3 feet of snow with wolves? Plus we never found footprints or tire tracks on our road (the only way in.) I have been trying to find a logical explination and nothing fits.

Iron and copper are common in northern Wisconsin and there is also alot faults in the area. Given that I'd say there is a good possbility of it being Earthlights, though not associated with the iron or copper they are offten reported around faults.

• Like 1

I first read your post last year some months after my fiance and I first had our own light flash experiences let me first give you some back ground on myself and my fiance and where we live.I have always been what most would refer to as a free spirit and have traveled much of the world and always have had an interest in what most would call the supernatural even though NO ONE in my immediate or extended family is remotley interested. Since a very young age I have been drawn to these fringe topics. I NEVER had a tangible experience myself.my gut tells me there is more out there we as humans cannot sense with the 5 senses we are aware of presently.my fiance is a very successful and well known attourney in the area we live in (virginia beach va) and while he feels the same way about the unknown and unexplained he is does not buy most of the "new agey" rederic. We live in the house his parents (deceased some 6 or so yrs ago)built on the water on an inlet (not ocean front) and while I and my 4 yr old daughter do feel what we assume to be my fiances parents prescence here from time to time I do not believe they are the source of these flashes. This is how our experiences started. Last year in june around 10 pm my fiance and I were laying in bed and a very very bright light flashed outside our window(15 ft of window facing the wateron the second floor) the flaah was very close to the window it was if an old timey camera flash had gone off and we both simultaneousley looked at each other and asked "what the hell was that?" We turned on our flood lights outside and looked out window and nothing was there not a boat on the water not a plane over head nothing my fiance went outside to look around and he too found nothing ( I was 4 mos pregnant w my 2nd child ) the second instance occurred in I would say october the same exact thing happened same 2 people present the same time the same flash in the same place and it ellicited the same response from us same investigation by us no answers then in november it happened to me the same time same place but I was alone this time and the interesting thing was it did not scare me it did not leave me with a strange or threatened feeling even though I had a 4 yr old sleeping downstairs and one in the oven and was a female alone in a house at night and to make this post a little more brief it happened again to me alone and it happened to my fiance twice while he was alone the last time it happened was 2 mos ago to him always around the same time in the exact same place and I would really like some answers if u have made any progress on this please let me know

I find it odd that you read the OP almost a year ago, but didn't feel the need to open an account and comment on it until yesterday.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am an expat living in phuket for sometime now, one morning around 7am I was sitting on the patio having a coffee when I see several big blue light flashes coming from my living room. The living room has big glass sliding doors out onto to the patio. I was startled, I walked into the room to check and can not see anything that is causing it. I felt a big spooked and concerned about electrical fault/ fires.

I thought go check the CCTV and the flash is caught on several of the cameras but appears bright white not blue. There is nothing showing what is causing it. For the rest of the day I see no flashes of light and get on with day. The next day I start looking through the CCTV recordings and over night there are many bright flashes of light recorded some outside my bedroom door, mostly on the patio outside the living room but the same flash twice. One of them was over the pool next to the patio that lit the pool and surrounding garden up. That particular flash was picked up on the cameras at the back of the villa it was that bright.

Next day nothing during the day but again something recorded on the CCTV that night but each flash different position and brightness and different times.

Where I live in Phuket is fairly remote the villa is surrounded by vacant land and the nearest neighbors are 200 meters away. Villa has very high walls like a compound. Villa set back along way from a access road. We have a security guard at the front to keep anyone out. So no outside light source causing it.

I had my contractor who was renovating the villa look at the CCTV recordings to see if they thought electrical. He didn't think it was But checked just the same.

I sent the CCTV recordings to the security company for their opinion. I went through all the usual questions, and no the cameras don't cause these flashes of lights and it's not lightning. The light comes from inside rooms and just outside rooms and lights up everything around it. The manager of the company had never seen anything like it and said to me seriously it appears supernatural and asked how my many dogs and cats are behaving. The pets are all ok, nothing bothering them.

Searching through hours of CCTV was causing me sleep deprivation so had to stop doing it and leave it alone. I noticed that they became less and less.

I still think about it and wonder what it is, I have worked in science all my life so always look for the rational explanation, but I believe in the spirit realm as well.

Any thoughts on what it is, i think i still have some of the recordings I can send

• Like 2

Lightning is the best known form of natural electrical discharge but it happens all the time on a smaller scale especially in certain areas. Static charges build until they find a a way to discharge to ground. Most of the time the discharges are small and slow enough to not be spectacular but sometimes a pretty good one can build and zap a wet tree or something else conductive. At night it doesn't take much electrical energy to make an impressive spark especially in a remote dark area with no artificial structures to discharge the air.

Back in the 80's the phone company started installing fuses on every new phone line. This was a safety feature in case lightning hit a phone line. They stopped doing this (at least in my area) when these fuses kept blowing regularly. Too often there was enough static charge in the air to get into the phone lines and blow the fuses.

Hi. Just read about your bright lights. My family and I live in a small community in New Brunswick in Canada. About 2 weeks ago my youngest daughter, 17, and I were laying on our couch watching a movie when we noticed a blinking light outdoors. When we stood up the light seemed to be close to the ground and blinked continuosly. The nearest house is a off in a distance and it was definately not coming from there. We went back to our movie and eventually noticed they were gone. Never thought much of it again until tonight. My oldest daughter, 19, and I took our black lab for a walk around 9 tonight. We walked for about 4 kms. The whole way had to keep calling the dog back to us as he tends to walk faster and further then us. When we turned to head back home, for some reason he stayed right with us. We thought at first that maybe he was unusually tired. Then when we were about half way home I noticed this huge flash of light in the sky that appeared to be right above our house. The light lite the whole sky and continued flashing every 3-4 mins. The closer we got the brighter it seemed. We turned around and went into our nearest neighbors and asked them about it. They gave us a ride home and they also noticed the light to. In our dooryard the light seemed to move from the south to the east and back again. Our neighbors hadn't seen these lights before and don't know what they would be.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was recently browsing for this because i had an experience like this last night. It was my first sighting of a flash like this. Sitting in my car with my fiance, we were near her house. A two story house atop a hill 400 ft from the road. The road itself was at the end of a dead end street 2 miles from the main road. No street lamps no bothersome flood lights no artificial lighting, only the bright glow of the large moon and the reflecting light off the snow. Surrounding us were nothing but stagnant woodlands and with no leaves to shroud them the line of sight was incredibly clear. We talked for a few minutes and i turned the car off. About 20 minutes later two extremely bright flashes of light burst throught the night sky in rapid succession, lighting up not only the car but the clear sight line in a 200 ft radius. It didnt even seem to come from one certain direction. But Immediately i thought someone was snooping around the woods and maybe had a camera. But after getting out and looking aroung there was nothing. No rustling in the woods no movement nothing. Then it occured to me maybe a freak lightning strike. I looked up and saw that the skies were completely cloudless. So i listened for thunder and there was none. Every single idea i could think of as to the cause was debunked. It simply seemingly came from nowhere. I'd love to hear from someone about their experience like this.

• Like 1

Another source of flashes are power lines. There aren't many places where you aren't within 30 miles a power line somewhere and that's close enough to fill the sky with blinding light when they arc during a failure.

Transformer explosions are even cooler because they are often green. One of the craziest things I've seen was the green flash of a transformer miles away lighting up the clouds in the sky.

Another source of flashes are power lines. There aren't many places where you aren't within 30 miles a power line somewhere and that's close enough to fill the sky with blinding light when they arc during a failure.

Transformer explosions are even cooler because they are often green. One of the craziest things I've seen was the green flash of a transformer miles away lighting up the clouds in the sky.

I've seen this too during hurricanes. When hurricane David brushed our area years ago I thought the green "lightening" was something caused by the hurricanes (it was my first hurricane experience, I learned later about the transformers) . In 2004 we had 3 hurricanes hit us and you would see those extra white bright flashes and sometimes hear buzzing. The more flashes and buzzing eventually led to the green flashes followed by a loud explosion then lights out..... Power outage.