Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

20 Earthquakes hit Oaklahoma in one day

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

View PostMike D boy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

Drilling. a.k.a. fracking is theoretically connected to earthquakes, since OK is a state known for fracking in areas known for oil and gas production. Pressure from fracking on or near faults can generate new seismic events. What you get are Man-made earthquakes in fault lines not known for historic activity.
The only Oklahoma well that has been definitely linked to these small quakes is the Lone Star well.  The first few rounds concentrated around the triple-junction rift, but they seem to be moving out from there.  And that would be consistent with fracking.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#17    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

We just had a 3.1 quake only 3 miles from here!  Not quite an hour ago.  Loud bang; sounded like an explosion.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#18    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,487 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

OK is always having earthquakes of small magnitudes all the time. There is an app that keeps track of that. I just check it daily.

Twenty is not normal, tho.

View PostSocio, on 18 February 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

http://www.dailymail...ma-one-day.html

Odd you don't hear much about earthquakes in the middle of the US.

Edited by regeneratia, 23 February 2014 - 04:38 AM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#19    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,487 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostMike D boy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

Drilling. a.k.a. fracking is theoretically connected to earthquakes, since OK is a state known for fracking in areas known for oil and gas production. Pressure from fracking on or near faults can generate new seismic events. What you get are Man-made earthquakes in fault lines not known for historic activity.

Oh yes, and there is a huge oil boom in SW Kansas. That could be helping the quakes.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#20    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,487 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

The nemeha uplift is the one I have seen mentioned with regards to quake zones.

View PostDumpsterJesus, on 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Oklahoma isn't without fault lines.

Posted Image
Just throwing this out there.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#21    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 23 February 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Twenty is not normal, tho.

Earthquake swarms aren't unusual at all. Perhaps one of the fault lines in southern Oklahoma is becoming seismically active?

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#22    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostMordorOrc, on 23 February 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Earthquake swarms aren't unusual at all. Perhaps one of the fault lines in southern Oklahoma is becoming seismically active?
That's been the talk for several years, along with fracking.  There has been a lot of drilling in this area of late.
Doug

#23    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 23 February 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

That's been the talk for several years, along with fracking.  There has been a lot of drilling in this area of late.
Doug

Fault lines are sort of like volcanoes in that some have periods of inactivity and periods of activity. Sometimes, quake swarms are indicative of a fault reawakening or even a new fault coming into existence. An example I can cite of that I have first hand experience with was a series of earthquakes of the northeastern coastline of the South Island of New Zealand which hundreds of quakes occurred on what appear to be two different fault lines that were previously unknown to geoscientists. It's possible that fracking could be the cause of these quakes or the fault lines have re-awakened.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users