Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Celebrities on gun control

F3SS

Incase you don't know, apparently, these bonehead celebrities made a PSA called 'demand a plan' and as the unspoken rules of the YouTube go someone cleverly remixed it to show the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of it all. It's been out for a while but I hadn't seen it here and figured some here would enjoy it. It's a clean version for those who know it.

• Like 2

It depends on the whether the actors in the PSA are seen to be glamorizing gun violence in a "hey, aren't guns cool!!!" fashion in the films they star in, then I could agree on a charge of hypocrisy.

If the character they're portraying is a cop or a soldier who at one point in a film has to use a gun (i.e. Julianne Moore in the clip from "Hannibal") then I don't think they're a hypocrite for speaking out against guns.

Sir Anthony Hopkins played a cannibal in "Silence of the Lambs", doesn't make him a hypocrite if he says cannibalism is bad.

Edited by Walter White

Ha you're right Walter. Still though, they aren't all soldiers in these clips and Hollywood really isn't the poster child for world peace.

For them to just shut up would be ideal, true. :lol:

So I presume their bodyguards aren't packing heat then?

• Like 2

Of course they do. More and more it seems the real liberal stance on gun control here is that guns are ok but just not for other people.

• Like 3

Ha you're right Walter. Still though, they aren't all soldiers in these clips and Hollywood really isn't the poster child for world peace.

I don't entirely disagree with you, a good few actors star in films where the the solution to their characters' ills is to shoot as many people as possible, and as we all know, life has a habit of imitating art. :)

• Like 1

I don't entirely disagree with you, a good few actors star in films where the the solution to their characters' ills is to shoot as many people as possible, and as we all know, life has a habit of imitating art. :)

Oh yea without a doubt. I don't even care if they do though. I like the movie Shoot 'Em Up. The title speaks for itself. I'm not going to stop watching movies or anything but I just think it's funny and hypocritical and don't think I could do the same thing myself if half my career millions of people watch me shoot guns in an over the top cool looking fashion.

If I made a PSA with a bunch of accountants saying 'guns are bad', would there be any F's left over from the Celebrity PSA to give to me? No! Cause no one should give a flying F what celebrities think. They're paid to pretend to be other people, that's it, doesn't make them smarter or better or anything. If anything, it removes them from the true public, because they see themselves as a different part. We got politicians, we got the military, we got us the civilian and now the celebrity.

• Like 6

The most inteligent thing an actor ever said, using his own words was during the invasion of Iraq. This at a time when every Hollywood ****** ***, prescription drug addict, narcisist was trying to force feed the American public the same tripe they were being force fed, came from Brad Pitt. When asked to comment on the war he said "I'm an actor, how would I know better than anyone else?"

• Like 3

Incase you don't know, apparently, these bonehead celebrities made a PSA called 'demand a plan' and as the unspoken rules of the YouTube go someone cleverly remixed it to show the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of it all. It's been out for a while but I hadn't seen it here and figured some here would enjoy it. It's a clean version for those who know it.

[media=]

[/media]

Mr. Fess, are you criticizing these celebrities action's to get on in the gun control hoopla? Shame on you Mr. Fess, how do ever expect them to make it from the B list to the A list? They gotta get their names out there and become a lot more famous then they already are. What are you thinking man?!!

• Like 1

I can't watch the video but it really doesn't matter what you do for a living you still have a right to express your opinion and I have the right either to agree or not to agree with it. My opinion is gun control isn't the answer when lack of mental health care is the problem.

• Like 3

If I made a PSA with a bunch of accountants saying 'guns are bad', would there be any F's left over from the Celebrity PSA to give to me? No! Cause no one should give a flying F what celebrities think. They're paid to pretend to be other people, that's it, doesn't make them smarter or better or anything. If anything, it removes them from the true public, because they see themselves as a different part. We got politicians, we got the military, we got us the civilian and now the celebrity.

I'm nominating this as quote of our very young Year!

We live in a celebrity worshipping society. Somehow, they've started believing their own press.

• Like 1

This delusion that Americans have a 'right' to own a gun is about as idiotic as people saying celebrities don't have a right to express an opinion. Even if they are wrong or don't conform to your own ideals, they are entitled to a view point as much as the rest of you. Celebrities don't necessarily see themselves as something 'a part' - the public does, and that enables this ideal. Of course they've started believing their own press! Look around at all the idiots to who eat all up.

It depends on the whether the actors in the PSA are seen to be glamorizing gun violence in a "hey, aren't guns cool!!!" fashion in the films they star in, then I could agree on a charge of hypocrisy.

If the character they're portraying is a cop or a soldier who at one point in a film has to use a gun (i.e. Julianne Moore in the clip from "Hannibal") then I don't think they're a hypocrite for speaking out against guns.

Sir Anthony Hopkins played a cannibal in "Silence of the Lambs", doesn't make him a hypocrite if he says cannibalism is bad.

If actors were as truly anti-gun as they claim, they can make the choice not to be in a movie or tv show that has them using guns. And they chose the almighty dollar over actually sticking to their "beliefs", which in turn makes them look exactly like what they are - hypocrites.

There are plenty of actors out there that don't take roles that go against their ideals. And there are plenty out there that are aware of the real problem with gun violence, that have no issues using them on camera.

• Like 1

This delusion that Americans have a 'right' to own a gun is about as idiotic as people saying celebrities don't have a right to express an opinion. Even if they are wrong or don't conform to your own ideals, they are entitled to a view point as much as the rest of you. Celebrities don't necessarily see themselves as something 'a part' - the public does, and that enables this ideal. Of course they've started believing their own press! Look around at all the idiots to who eat all up.

How is it a "delusion" when the Second Amendment of our Constitution provides this right?

• Like 2

If actors were as truly anti-gun as they claim, they can make the choice not to be in a movie or tv show that has them using guns. And they chose the almighty dollar over actually sticking to their "beliefs", which in turn makes them look exactly like what they are - hypocrites.

There are plenty of actors out there that don't take roles that go against their ideals. And there are plenty out there that are aware of the real problem with gun violence, that have no issues using them on camera.

But we have actors who in the past have played Nazis, racists, "evil" republicans (not to conflate republicanism with nazism or racism), none of which are the ideals of the stock hollywood actor. We don't accuse Leonardo Di Caprio of hypocrisy because he plays the role of a racist when in the real world he abhors racism. Why should we treat actors who want stricter gun laws any different when/if they fire a few rounds in a film?

If an anti-gun actor starred in a film which had a strictly pro-gun message, or sought to glamorise guns, then he or she is a hypocrite no doubt. You'll have no argument from me there.

But not every film which contains guns is pro-guns or an attempt to glamorize their usage, and an actor is free to partake in such films without their character being called into question.

How is it a "delusion" when the Second Amendment of our Constitution provides this right?

A couple of guesses. The constitution is an old piece of paper that can and should be done away with or whittled down. She doesn't have that right so neither should we and people who don't live in America know best. She thinks the world is safer with stricter gun laws against mounds of evidence to the contrary. Or, she's right and this is all a dream and we are delusional to think we have a right that we don't really have but we really do so yea, a reactionary nonsensical comment at its best.

Of course they do. More and more it seems the real liberal stance on gun control here is that guns are ok but just not for other people.

Well, that is the liberal stance my friend.

"It's okay for us to have secret service, hired bodyguards that protect our children, and concealed permits for ourselves.

But you can't have guns to protect yourself or your children."

All the while the media says we should ban assault rifles - when picking up semi-automatic guns.

Referring to them as fully automatic guns.

All while the DHS has gathered 1,800,000,000 rounds of hollow point ammunition.

All the while the government is persecuting those who stockpile guns and ammunition; preppers, as "terrorists".

Dark times are definitely ahead..

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 2

But we have actors who in the past have played Nazis, racists, "evil" republicans (not to conflate republicanism with nazism or racism), none of which are the ideals of the stock hollywood actor. We don't accuse Leonardo Di Caprio of hypocrisy because he plays the role of a racist when in the real world he abhors racism. Why should we treat actors who want stricter gun laws any different when/if they fire a few rounds in a film?

If an anti-gun actor starred in a film which had a strictly pro-gun message, or sought to glamorise guns, then he or she is a hypocrite no doubt. You'll have no argument from me there.

But not every film which contains guns is pro-guns or an attempt to glamorize their usage, and an actor is free to partake in such films without their character being called into question.

Most movies that contain guns are pure action movies (or war), and not meant to convey any kind of message. Few war movies in the last decade had a message, and these were movies like "We were Soldiers", "The Big Red One" and "The Thin Red Line" - and the message was more from a "this is what it was like for us, so you can know our story".... huge difference than a special interest thrown into an action movie (like Seagal did in most of his later films).

Also, you're opening and closing comments basically solidify my statement about they care more for the dollar, than their so called ideals. A few years ago it was gay rights, now it's guns, and next will be something else for them. To them, it's nothing more than a fad. They really don't care one way or another - they only care about what makes them money.

A couple of guesses. The constitution is an old piece of paper that can and should be done away with or whittled down. She doesn't have that right so neither should we and people who don't live in America know best. She thinks the world is safer with stricter gun laws against mounds of evidence to the contrary. Or, she's right and this is all a dream and we are delusional to think we have a right that we don't really have but we really do so yea, a reactionary nonsensical comment at its best.

The funny thing, while Canada may be very selective with who they issue permits to own handguns to, they still do. Rifles, shotguns... yep, they have them, too.

The funny thing, while Canada may be very selective with who they issue permits to own handguns to, they still do. Rifles, shotguns... yep, they have them, too.

Ok, now you're being delusional.

• Like 1

Quick check reveals yes they have them. No delusion.

Edited by Stardrive
  • Like 1