Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

21/12

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,263 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 17 December 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

I know there has been muchhh on this topic. But, i would like to share something I read recently. The Mayans did not take into account daylight savings time. Therefore,  if they did, and you believe the mayan calendar.  World should have been in trouble 10 or so years ago.... thoughts????
ummm you coudn't add this to an existing thread on this topic?? geez talk about milking a dry cow

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#17    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,263 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

Until nothing happens.
uh yes something will happen...i will be cleaning out my kitchen junk drawer just as i professed i would before the entire forum. there are others who have also pledged to do this as well, so people, decembr 22nd get those drawers cleaned out!

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Why would daylight savings time make any difference?  Daylight savings time doesn't make the year any shorter or longer, we simply put forward our clocks at a particular date and put them back at another date.  It all balances out.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,716 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hopefully we'll all sleep though it.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,512 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 December 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

uh yes something will happen...i will be cleaning out my kitchen junk drawer just as i professed i would before the entire forum. there are others who have also pledged to do this as well, so people, decembr 22nd get those drawers cleaned out!

I will clean NO drawer and you can't make me! :angry:

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#21    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,263 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 19 December 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

I will clean NO drawer and you can't make me! :angry:
oh i won't force anyone...the junk drawer seems to be the final frontier for domestic mystery...
there are those who also pledged to do the junk drawer cleaning (if the world didn't end as planned) and those are the ones to whom i speak!

Edited by JGirl, 20 December 2012 - 02:00 AM.

Posted Image

Winston Churchill

#22    Time Spy

Time Spy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

• Examining history delivers a clearer perspective on tomorrow, while providing a closer focus on the most important moment of all, right here and now.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 19 December 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Why would daylight savings time make any difference?  Daylight savings time doesn't make the year any shorter or longer, we simply put forward our clocks at a particular date and put them back at another date.  It all balances out.

That's correct the length of the year is 365.25 days.  In fact the Earth revolves in an orbital alignment with respect to the sun at the same given projectory, while 90 degrees out of phase from the year before.  Thereby each fourth year one full revolution in an additon is made on the axis in a 'leap' ahead.  Nevertheless daylight savings has nothing to do with it.

It seems to me everyone has missed the point entirely.  Hollywood and 'fringe' authors want to sell books and tickets.  So many crazy ideas and stories have been told.  Let's stop and look at the facts.  The Mayans had to start the calendar at some point.  They started plotting the orbits of the planets and watching their movements around the sun.  For one they knew thousands of years ago for a fact that this planets encircled the sun, not vise versa.  Europe did not.  They were able to determine accurately solar, and lunar eclipses.  Look at the amazing monuments that were built.  WOW, they are outstanding works of magnificient engineering feats in labor and construction, while presumed made by a civilization that did not to have technology.  Not only did they accomplish this but they accurately predicted the eclipse of Venus this past year, an eclipse of the sun in November, and the lining up of the planets in our solar system on the winter solstice, while thousands of years ago.  THAT is a marvelous accomplishment why so many centuries ago.  I have said it before and say it again.  Where does the doomsday scenario fit into the picture at all.  Doesn't our calendar start back in January although it ends every December.  The long count is in respect to recession on the planets axis.  Four Mayan calendars make up one complete cycle of recession, that has been going on for who know how many eons, and will continue for who knows how, many more ages.  No one knows the date nor the time when the end will come.  No eye nor mind can tell what is in store.  The future is NOT decided.  We influence it only by the actions we make today.  If something crazy happens from outer space or in a violent sun storm... to wipe out the atmosphere or plaster the Earth, what could we REALLY do about it?

#23    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

You know time spy.. You have actually said something I agree with.. Good post.. Damn good post

#24    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Well, we're still here...

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,478 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postbrlesq1, on 25 December 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Well, we're still here...

... and a quack is laughing all the way to the bank.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users