Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Why do we have a White House Christmas tree?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I don't quite understand this topic...maybe it's because I'm in the UK?

So instead I will contribute a pretty smiley - it's what I do best
Posted Image

#92    Dash--

Dash--

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 177 posts

• I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

^Nice one Bling^^ :yes:

Take away all the Christmas trees,nativity scenes,elves,Santa,or whatever,as long as my kids still come over,it will always be Christmas to me.
(haha who am I kidding? My ol' lady has 2 boxes of decorations I'm supposed to put up today)

Wisdom is not a product of schooling,but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.
A.Einstein

We live in a sunlit world of what we believe to be reality,but...

#93    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,122 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostDash--, on 26 November 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

^Nice one Bling^^ :yes:

Take away all the Christmas trees,nativity scenes,elves,Santa,or whatever,as long as my kids still come over,it will always be Christmas to me.
(haha who am I kidding? My ol' lady has 2 boxes of decorations I'm supposed to put up today)
i always insist on waiting till December, at least. Of course, this year I might wait until the 22nd, just to make sure that there'll be any point to putting them up.

:innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#94    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,635 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 November 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

But it is called a "Christmas" tree. It is not a pagan symbol at the White House. Are there angels on the WH tree? A nativity maybe? Christian symbols?

It's called a Christmas tree for the same reason there is an Easter Bunny and a Thanksgiving Day Turkey.  It is part of the season/holiday.   These days, it is more closely associated with Santa Clause than with Jesus.  It doesn't have any more religious significance in general than Christmas presents do.  Personally, I don't see a gift of the IPOD 5 as a religious offering.

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#95    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm surprised Christians aren't complaining about it. Christmas is a Pagan tradition. The Puritans knew this and banned it. It didn't become a tradition in the United States until Victorian times. It's another case of modern Christianity molding itself into whatever is convenient.

African Christians are completely baffled by Christmas when they come to the U.S. The celebration doesn't fit into their religion in any way.

#96    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm surprised Christians aren't complaining about it. Christmas is a Pagan tradition. The Puritans knew this and banned it. It didn't become a tradition in the United States until Victorian times. It's another case of modern Christianity molding itself into whatever is convenient.

African Christians are completely baffled by Christmas when they come to the U.S. The celebration doesn't fit into their religion in any way.

Yes, and Kwanzaa traditions became history/art/show and tell lessons in our schools not  too long ago. A minority wanted to be heard along with our "American Christmas" and they were listened to. There are those who feel Christmas is specific to a certain group, and not all inclusive.

Edited to add- see post #98

Edited by QuiteContrary, 26 November 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#97    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostBling, on 26 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't quite understand this topic...maybe it's because I'm in the UK?

So instead I will contribute a pretty smiley - it's what I do best
Posted Image

UK posters have said certain decorations have been taken down to not offend where they live too.

#98    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Yes "Holiday Tree," No Menorah or Kwanzaa Decorations, at City Hall This Year

Published Dec 9, 2009, 12:00pm
By Erica C. Barnett
For years, City Hall has displayed a Hanukkah menorah and a Kwanzaa kinara (a seven-candle candleabra) alongside the traditional Christmas (ahem, "holiday") tree. This year, however, the kinara and menorah are nowhere to be found.

Brenda Bauer, director of the city's department of fleets and facilities (which oversees City Hall decorations), says she made the decision not to display the Hanukkah and Kwanzaa decorations because "there are a lot of emotions around [religious displays] and this has a very tough year at the city. With all the furloughs and layoffs, we need to stay focused on our priorities rather than creating a controversy."

"Religious displays have created a great deal of controversy" in recent years, Bauer notes. For example, in 2008, atheists sparked a statewide controversy when they displayed an anti-religion sign alongside a holiday tree and a Christian nativity in the state capitol. In 2006, Sea-Tac Airport decided to take down its Christmas trees when a local rabbi demanded that the airport also display an 8-foot-high menorah, and has not displayed holiday trees since.

But what about the 15-foot-high tree, decked with ornaments including lifelike doves, that currently anchors the first floor of City Hall?

"It's not a Christmas tree. It's a holiday tree," Bauer says. "There are a variety of decorations around City Hall, [including] poinsettias and greenery ... They are seasonal decorations that are peaceful."

Doug Honig, spokesman for the state ACLU, says that whereas a menorah "clearly is a religious symbol," holiday trees have "been so secularized that they're not seen as religious symbols."  He says the ACLU has not taken a position on City Hall's holiday decorations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Underscoring mine
Who says Holiday Tree? Not one poster has mentioned it. That is why I asked early in the thread if anyone thought our National Christmas Tree would be renamed?
This is not some new grassroots campaign (or fight) I dreamed up yesterday. And I need to hear  how crazy and ridiculous I am or the thread  is and what a scrooge I am.

It is real and spreading and effecting Christmas decorations. And I never lifted a finger to help them.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 26 November 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#99    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,122 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 26 November 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Yes "Holiday Tree," No Menorah or Kwanzaa Decorations, at City Hall This Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Underscoring mine
Who says Holiday Tree? Not one poster has mentioned it. That is why I asked early in the thread if anyone thought our National Christmas Tree would be renamed?
This is not some new grassroots campaign (or fight) I dreamed up yesterday. And I need to hear how crazy and ridiculous I am or the thread is and what a scrooge I am.

It is real and spreading and effecting Christmas decorations. And I never lifted a finger to help them.
does that really surprise anyone? Local Politicians have always got far too much time on their hands, or perhaps I should say they can always find the time for pointless gimmicks like this rather than, say, doing something that might be useful.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#100    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Post747400, on 26 November 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

does that really surprise anyone? Local Politicians have always got far too much time on their hands, or perhaps I should say they can always find the time for pointless gimmicks like this rather than, say, doing something that might be useful.

It isn't just politicians. Most politicians wouldn't care unless their constituents did. It is vocal public groups wanting them removed, as the article also stated.

#101    Quaentum

Quaentum

Psychic Spy

• 1,635 posts

• The number of fringe believers is inversely proportional to what is left to discover in our world.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Jesus was Jewish and were he alive today, would not have a Christmas tree but a Menorah.  The Christmas tree was added much later and has no direct link to the religious aspect of Christmas.  It is sad really, that religious groups should feel that their way of celebrating the birthday of Jesus is the only correct one and should work to remove anything else, when their way may not even be the correct way.

AA LOGIC
They didn't use thousands of workers - oops forgot about the work camps
There's no evidence for ramps - You found one?...Bummer
Well we know they didn't use ancient tools to cut and shape the stones - Chisel marks?  Craps
I still say aliens built them!

#102    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostPurplos, on 24 November 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

It's not a statement. They're not just "the government," they're actually people, a family. They celebrate Christmas. They have a tree.

Big deal.

BREAKDOWN!

#103    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,122 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 26 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

It isn't just politicians. Most politicians wouldn't care unless their constituents did. It is vocal public groups wanting them removed, as the article also stated.
But that's exactly the thing, these Vocal public groups are hardly representative of public opinion, since most Public opnion would almost certainly be that, at least, they're not offended by the association of Christainity with Christmas, and in fact they'd probably be Offended if these tiny but Vocal groups did succeed in having any references removed. It's not very democratic to do what these tiny but Vocal groups insist.

View PostQuaentum, on 28 November 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

Jesus was Jewish and were he alive today, would not have a Christmas tree but a Menorah. The Christmas tree was added much later and has no direct link to the religious aspect of Christmas. It is sad really, that religious groups should feel that their way of celebrating the birthday of Jesus is the only correct one and should work to remove anything else, when their way may not even be the correct way.
But that's the irony, it's not Christians who are calling for anything else to be removed, it seems to be people clamouring for any mention of Christ to be removed from Christmas. Surely Christians are entitled to celebrate the birth of Jesus their way, aren';t they?

H. P. Lovecraft.

#104    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View Post747400, on 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

But that's exactly the thing, these Vocal public groups are hardly representative of public opinion, since most Public opnion would almost certainly be that, at least, they're not offended by the association of Christainity with Christmas, and in fact they'd probably be Offended if these tiny but Vocal groups did succeed in having any references removed. It's not very democratic to do what these tiny but Vocal groups insist.

But that's the irony, it's not Christians who are calling for anything else to be removed, it seems to be people clamouring for any mention of Christ to be removed from Christmas. Surely Christians are entitled to celebrate the birth of Jesus their way, aren';t they?

Apparently not, when on public property like a U.S. town's City Hall or a public school or federal property. But these vocal groups are being listened to, in the UK as well, apparently.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 29 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users