Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 6 votes

The History of Schizophrenia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
559 replies to this topic

#466    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,286 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

From my own experience, psychiatrists are all different. I mean, the really good ones are out there but they will definitely cost you money. If you are a poor guy with some medicare program then you are less likely to see a competent one. I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period.

Certainly we don't have any fancy technology to simply scan the brain and diagnose it like some circuit board, Star Trek style. But I hope we will eventually get there. And...that's a form of psychiatry.

Well, there are people against vaccination, so why should I be troubled by people against psychiatry? Heh.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#467    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

So Ron Jeremy, what is your suggestion? That all mental illnesses be generalized and that they all receive similar treatment? The unfortunate reality is there is a wide range of different illnesses one can develop. Many, like frontal lobe dementia for example, have no real effective treatment (the drugs still cause brain damage nonetheless which ultimately speeds up the progress of the illness), and yet the motor function and memories are kept in tact. So people with this illness for example, are totally aware of what is happening to them, that they are being experimented on, that their rights have been taken and their independence stripped, and they're confined away from the things they were passionate about and loved in life. Surely this system helps these people :-*. You are supporting a broken system that doesn't even attempt to give individual needs for each case, a system that will throw you out of the institution as soon as your health insurance is gone. A system that provokes people because they get bigger insurance payouts when the "patient" has a "conflict". A system where the employees are free to abuse the "patients" physically, emotionally and sexually because "no one believes the crazy person". A system that is closer to the prison industry than anything medical. Do we applaud the Nazi experiments? The Japanese ones? MK-Ultra? No we don't because society already knows its wrong, why is it all of a sudden alright as long as the victims are "insane"?

And yes Frank, you are largely correct in that I am criticising current medical ethics. But I have also yet to see repeatable tests and valid experiments demonstrating psychology to be a solid science.

Edited by Glorfindel, 08 August 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#468    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 08 August 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

From my own experience, psychiatrists are all different. I mean, the really good ones are out there but they will definitely cost you money. If you are a poor guy with some medicare program then you are less likely to see a competent one. I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period.

Certainly we don't have any fancy technology to simply scan the brain and diagnose it like some circuit board, Star Trek style. But I hope we will eventually get there. And...that's a form of psychiatry.

Well, there are people against vaccination, so why should I be troubled by people against psychiatry? Heh.

The bolded part right there should tell you how un-scienitifc psychology really is. Their diagnosis' are completely relative and there is NO solid brain science to support most diagnosis. But a wrong one isn't gonna stop them from pumping someone with drugs that will alter their minds even further in the wrong direction.

#469    markprice

markprice

Government Agent

• 3,306 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 August 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

I think you are talking more about medical ethics than about psychiatry itself.  I will say this, though -- if I were suffering from a form of paranoia that cause me too refuse appropriate medication, and were suffering as a result, I would appreciate it if there were legal procedures that compelled my treatment.  That is the unfortunate nature of many mental diseases.

That's insane. The paranoia is justified, unless you really trust your doctor, and judging by corrupt state of the medical industry any blind trust could be your undoing. Enjoy your forced meds though.

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#470    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,286 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I gotta say this. Probably the mod guy will nip this post but I gotta say this. I've read OP's testimony. And actually I had my fair share of encounters with people like him. To be honest, all of them have had some lengthy criminal records. And two days ago I read a news about a man who blew up his Lab dog because he believed that the dog was possessed.

I won't be surprised if I hear about any ghastly public crime driven by some voices in the head in Orange County anytime soon.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

#471    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postambelamba, on 08 August 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I gotta say this. Probably the mod guy will nip this post but I gotta say this. I've read OP's testimony. And actually I had my fair share of encounters with people like him. To be honest, all of them have had some lengthy criminal records. And two days ago I read a news about a man who blew up his Lab dog because he believed that the dog was possessed.

I won't be surprised if I hear about any ghastly public crime driven by some voices in the head in Orange County anytime soon.

You are generalizing mental illnesses and demonstrating your own ignorance on the topic. Many don't cause "voices in the head" but a lack of inhibition, personality changes, scattered thoughts and a loss of mental functioning they once had. People with mental illnesses are not more prone to criminality and some I've met were productive, high achieving members of society, some I've met were totally normal family oriented people before. Your comment is extremely offensive and inaccurate. There is nothing funny about it.

Just look at your own posts ffs. "I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period."

So first you were diagnosed with something serious, now your current doctor doubts you even have an illness. Do you not understand that that first diagnosis could have destroyed your life in an instant? And now its in doubt? lol? Cognitive dissonance sounds like the proper diagnosis for you at this point.

#472    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ron, have you finally retired and given your member a rest?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#473    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• "If you can't say something nice, be creative."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 08 August 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

You are generalizing mental illnesses and demonstrating your own ignorance on the topic. Many don't cause "voices in the head" but a lack of inhibition, personality changes, scattered thoughts and a loss of mental functioning they once had. People with mental illnesses are not more prone to criminality and some I've met were productive, high achieving members of society, some I've met were totally normal family oriented people before. Your comment is extremely offensive and inaccurate. There is nothing funny about it.

Just look at your own posts ffs. "I was diagnosed with something very serious more than a decades ago, and now my current psychiatrist wonders if I have any kind of serious illness. Well, seriously I can understand them. It's really difficult to make the right diagnosis without extensive observation for a long period."

So first you were diagnosed with something serious, now your current doctor doubts you even have an illness. Do you not understand that that first diagnosis could have destroyed your life in an instant? And now its in doubt? lol? Cognitive dissonance sounds like the proper diagnosis for you at this point.

"Cognitive dissonance" isn't actually a diagnosis (should it be?). It's a state of perception ("Ronald Reagan is a god; he's also  an ******* killing Nicaraguans and Salvadorans"). It might indicate mental illness, but is not a valid diagnosis. Someone said it earlier: A mental health designation can be more devastating than a criminal record or a series of bad job firings. I say this from experience. I tell few people of my 'diagnosis' of having a mood disorder, requiring daily medication (if I am to be given any credibility). It sucks.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#474    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,286 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 08 August 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ron, have you finally retired and given your member a rest?

Well, I guess my current avatar is whole lot more likable and family-friendly than the last one. :devil:

#475    markprice

markprice

Government Agent

• 3,306 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

View Postambelamba, on 08 August 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Well, I guess my current avatar is whole lot more likable and family-friendly than the last one. :devil:

Just don't blow up any dogs there schizo.

Actually, schizophrenics are some of the best people who ever lived.

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#476    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,286 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

I gotta tell you. People like OP were running the world for a good part of human history. They really did. Some people started seeing the world as is, and the advance of human civilization finally started.

#477    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Now you are confusing psychopathy and sociopathy with schizophrenia and dementia. Now the mentally ill are to blame for the woes of history too eh :innocent: . Anything to rationalize the torture of innocent people in the name of pharmo-psychology pseudo-science.

Edited by Glorfindel, 10 August 2013 - 04:59 AM.

#478    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,286 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well, you know, you are very aggressive to people who have a favorable view on modern psychiatry so this will be my last post in this topic. I didn't mean what you said. What I wanted to tell was that people who allegedly spoke with gods or whatever actually had a significant influence in decision makings of the ruling class throughout the history. Even in modern time, people in less developed societies still listen to schizophrenics as the messengers to God. Actually, you don't even have to go that far. I can say there are plenty of messengers of God active in churches around Koreatown in Los Angeles.

#479    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,052 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

I dealt with dozens of schizophrenics working in a mental ward. These people can barely dress themselves and complete a comprehensible sentence. I don't believe schizophrenics could have ever had any influence on any rulers in history. I'd like to see some examples cited.

#480    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

If someone is walking down a busy street bare-naked shouting obscenities and charging at people with a screwdriver, which of those behaviors should bring out the police?  Should any of them bring about  the imposition of mandatory treatment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users