Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do people still believe in big foot

mygrassisgreen

Reports of a big hairy creature roaming remote places in North America have been around long before the patterson film ever took place... it is not the only piece of evidence to suggest that 'bigfoot" is a real creature... people simply pick and choose what evidence they want to consider as evidence to justify their claims. So for some anecdotal stories/eyewitness account are enough to suggest that "bigfoot" is indeed a real creature.. for some it is plaster casts of footprints, there are also unknown vocalizations that are attributed to bigfoot. For others it is DNA/hair evidence.. and others still the odd blurry photograph... take your pick but it seems there are lot or reasons/evidence that suggests bigfoot is indeed a real creature. Simply ask yourself what it takes for YOU to believe that bigfoot is real.

Edited by Overdueleaf
  • Like 1

I don't want to sound like the 'Grammar Police' but you actually aren't supposed 'believe' in cryptids as it gets in the way of true facts and evidence supporting the non- existence. But I agree with Overdueleaf, sightings started way before the Patterson film was made. Although when it was said it was fake many people thought Bigfoot was fake as well ,hence, the reason why people don't support or 'believe' in Cryptozoology because they 'know' they are all fakes.

• Like 2

Claiming adedotale evidence as proof that the patterson film is a fake is the same a claiming adedotale evidence for the existence of the patterson film, both are not empirical evidence for or against bigfoot. I myself like don't beleive in the existence or against the existence of bigfoot. But to answer your question. All the evidence to the contrae is not preswasive.

"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of anthropology has continued for centeries without being exposed, or the most manlike and largest non-human primate on earth has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science." G.W. Gill, President of the American Boared of Foresensic Antropology

• Like 2

What centuries? The bigfoot legend started in the 20s, in the heyday of made-up journalism and only really took up in the late fifties. before that, practically all there was were a wide-ranging bunch of Native American myths that, for some strange reason, are thought to be representing real animals. If that logic was applied, we would still be looking for harpies, satyrs and naiads around the Greek Islands, as all the native inhabitants of the region had stories about these creatures for centuries. Bigfooters should realise that folklore is not fact and is not an accurate representation of anything but folklore.

CBC? Where have you been? Bigfoots have been depicted on the walls of caves going back 2000 years. If you're going to be a skeptic then please bother to get your facts correct.

....."the 20's"......sheesh.....

Edited by keninsc
  • Like 4

Please show me a 2000 year-old cave painting clearly depicting bigfoot. Also, why do you think that only real, physical animals can be depicted in cave paintings? Myriads of mythological creatures and spirits, such as the Rainbow Serpent, were depicted on cave walls and rock faces all around the world.

• Like 2

My dear fellow, please Google that information for yourself. I don't mind pointing out errors but it isn't my responsibility to educate you.

Mind you, it's ok to be a skeptic but if you do take on that role you should have some knowledge of the subject. Hell, I'm a skeptic and not everything can be explained away with the wave of a hand.

• Like 1

You can have your own car, your own clothes, your own place to live, but you can't have your own facts. Just Google historical bigfoot news articles.

I have provided you with everything you need, Google.

OK, so you have no evidence, fair enough.

You know, "you are wrong, go away and prove why you are wrong" is not a great way to argue.

It wasn't intended to be an argument, it's intended to get you to push some buttons and read.

Besides, anything I posted up you'd simply reject for the sake of having an argument and that's counter productive in itself. However, if you go and read it for yourself you might actually learn something........assuming you actually do the Google thing.

When I have time, I'll be kind enough to post up the information you've requested. Why you won't save time and Google "historical bigfoot news articles " yourself is a bit confusing, but I'll do it for you if that's what you want.

I googled "historical bigfoot news articles" and came up with 6,060,000 results.

I believe the the challenge was to locate reports of bigfoot prior to the 1920's, and cave paintings depicting bigfoot.

Care to wade though over 6,000,000 articles for us and find the pre 1920 bigfoot reports? After all the burden of proof is on those who make the claim.

As far as cave painting go. I would say they are open to interpretation, as we all know native american rock art is highly stylized.

• Like 1

Gentleman, I believe this is the image you're talking about:

bf1.jpg

Supposedly this indisputable drawing of Bigfoot is in a cave in Northern California but I've been unable to verify that.

Now compare it to this ancient drawing in a place with absolutely no Bigfoot reports, Algeria:

tassili+sefar.jpg

You might get the impression that ancient people just liked to draw scary imaginary monsters on their cave walls.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying however there are a number of them.

The unfortunate part of Native American culture is the lack of written language so they used pictograms to depict things and their means or rather the specific means could well have changed over time. I can't tell you that's a Bigfoot, however according to the verbal account it is.......now we're back to the word of mouth thing again.

So it's a bit of a Mobius loop.

I think that is what they were referring to as well.

I'm seeing a standing bears in those pictographs not bigfoot. But I guess if you what to see bigfoot then that is what you will see.

Edited by evancj
  • Like 1

I think why people believe in bigfoot is because they have seen them. If you saw one would you believe? I have not seen one and hence i dont believe.

I think why people believe in bigfoot is because they have seen them. If you saw one would you believe? I have not seen one and hence i dont believe.

I would wager that say that not all people that believe in bigfoot have seen him... people simply choose to believe in what they will based on whatever evidence they choose to except...the evidence for some doesnt have to stand up to the scrutiny and reasoning as it must for others... that is life

• Like 1

What centuries? The bigfoot legend started in the 20s, in the heyday of made-up journalism and only really took up in the late fifties. before that, practically all there was were a wide-ranging bunch of Native American myths that, for some strange reason, are thought to be representing real animals. If that logic was applied, we would still be looking for harpies, satyrs and naiads around the Greek Islands, as all the native inhabitants of the region had stories about these creatures for centuries. Bigfooters should realise that folklore is not fact and is not an accurate representation of anything but folklore.

" Bigfooters should realise that folklore is not fact and is not an accurate representation of anything but folklore."

Really? And tell me, you know this how? Just because something is included in a group of peoples folklore or mythology, does not mean it does not exist. Several known and proven animals are also included among these types of cave paintings, carvings,etc. You have no basis to say what parts of it are true and what are not without any evidence to back it up. The only evidence you have is that there is no evidence to the contrary at this point. That is not a very strong argument to make the claims you did.

Edited by Nathan Drake
  • Like 1

Bigfooters should realise that folklore is not fact and is not an accurate representation of anything but folklore.

There are a few cryptids that thought to only exist in folklore, and myths and proving to be real a few are, the gorilla, giant squid, and King cheetah.

Gentleman, I believe this is the image you're talking about:

bf1.jpg

Supposedly this indisputable drawing of Bigfoot is in a cave in Northern California but I've been unable to verify that.

Now compare it to this ancient drawing in a place with absolutely no Bigfoot reports, Algeria:

tassili+sefar.jpg

You might get the impression that ancient people just liked to draw scary imaginary monsters on their cave walls.

That is not the drawing I am not aware of that one my self. I do believe the pictograph that are being refered to are of Kathy Moskowitte Strain work, she has also writting the book Giants, cannibals and monsters. The pictrograph that people commanly reference also include folklore and myths to go along with the pictrograph. Also one of the pictrograph also includes a large human looking foot, comanly associated with "bigfoot."

There are a few cryptids that thought to only exist in folklore, and myths and proving to be real a few are, the gorilla, giant squid, and King cheetah.

And there are the Leviathan, the Harpies, the Chimera, the Sphinx, the Hydra, the Mormo, the Centaurs, the Karkinos, the Dragon, the Naiad, the Selkie, the Jenglot, the Hecatonchires, the Panis, the Leprechaun, the Ekek, the Tengu, and thousands of other cryptids in folklore and myths from around the world which are completely false.

That is why science doesn't rely on myth or legend. Anyone citing it as any degree of evidence will be laughed at.

Really? And tell me, you know this how? Just because something is included in a group of peoples folklore or mythology, does not mean it does not exist.

It makes it very unlikely that it exists.

Several known and proven animals are also included among these types of cave paintings, carvings,etc. You have no basis to say what parts of it are true and what are not without any evidence to back it up.

The burden of proof is on those who say they do exist.

The only evidence you have is that there is no evidence to the contrary at this point. That is not a very strong argument to make the claims you did.

Soooo, there may be dragons, and serpents, and Centaurs, and Harpies, and multi-armed monsters roaming around, and until we can prove they don't exist, we should just assume they do exist?

I'm afraid you have science backwards.

• Like 2