Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gef The Talking Mongoose...

mr_halo

The photograph allegedly shows Gef, the Talking Mongoose on the ridge of a sod hedge at Cashen's Gap, the Isle of Man.

link...

http://www.resologist.net/ryook005.htm

i don't really know what to make of this story, the photo doesn't show much though, i mean how can you tell if a mongoose is a talking one from a photo...

post-8538-1095296763.jpg

post-8538-1095296780.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr_halo

• Draco5832000

• Chanelle_Rose

• SiameseNitemare

Oooo, a stick! grin2.giftongue.gif Weird story...... wacko.gifhuh.gif

Edited by Panthera leo atrox

The mongoose might be able to recreate the constant and vowels sound that we make with its own through, and through hearing conversation a lot, it might be able to recreate words. But that doesn't mean it understands them, and understanding the sounds coming out of the mouth is a vital part of speech.

Anyone ever heard of the MANY dogs that have been known to say Mama. The dont know what they do, only that the have been told to do it and they get A COOKIE for being a good dog.

Edited by VampChilde18

That's actually a stump, but still,

That is my most favorit, FAVORIT, ghost story in the whole wide world! I love it to death! I know it by heart!

thumbup.gifclap.gifnotworthy.gifgrin.gifstretch.giflaugh.gifgrin2.giftongue.gifhappy.gif

Though, if you want some background info, just in case it isn't included in the story,

Mongooses had been intoduced to doarlish cashen by a farmer to lower the rabbit population. But it seems impossible that the mongooses could survive a manx winter. It was also heard that sertain spiritual indian men could teach the mongoose how to talk, but there has been no proof of such.

Gef was in his seventies, which is WAY beyond the lifespan of a normal mongoose. But, he was also afraid of ghosts.

One time Gef was downstairs talking to mrs. Irving and Viory. Jim heard that he was making jokes about him, and decided to turn the tables on the little mongoose. He took off his boots, drapped a sheet over his head, and tiptoed down the stairs.

Gef screamed in terror, then when Jim removed the sheet from his head, Gef cried in relief.

I know just about everything about this story, I have collected bits of information from twenty different sources, and I would love more than anything to share it with you.

I LOVE Gef the mongoose. I wish I have him as a pet!

270345[/snapback]

SO DO I! grin2.gif

thumbup.gif

IMHO, Gef is real.

Apparantly, Gef called himself "a little clever, extraclever mongoose".

Gef also said he was "not a local product" and that he had been born in Delhi, India on June 7, 1852.

Make ur own minds up.

I wouldn't class myself as a sceptic, but I draw the line at talking mongeese, this is a clear case of crazy girl who can throw her voice.

I wouldn't class myself as a sceptic, but I draw the line at talking mongeese, this is a clear case of crazy girl who can throw her voice.

272620[/snapback]

Well if recording equipment was available between 1931 (first appearance) and 1937 (when the Irvings abruptly sold the farm and moved out), then i'm sure Gef will be either proved or disproved.

Actually in 1931, Irving's daughter was 13...

PS In India, there is a tradition that certain mongooses can learn human speech

yeah i must admit i can't see anything in the photo, i'm going to keep looking at it until i see a mongoose, its there i reckon...

how intelligent is a mongoose?...just curious....

original.gif

how intelligent is a mongoose?...just curious....

original.gif

272842[/snapback]

more intelligent than me anyways! (",)

The mongoose might be able to recreate the constant and vowels sound that we make with its own through, and through hearing conversation a lot, it might be able to recreate words.  But that doesn't mean it understands them, and understanding the sounds coming out of the mouth is a vital part of speech.

Anyone ever heard of the MANY dogs that have been known to say Mama.  The dont know what they do, only that the have been told to do it and they get A COOKIE for being a good dog.

268969[/snapback]

LOL! Exactly! Plus, even Parrots can talk, they just mimic what they hear and apes can be taught sign language, but they can't hold a conversation with you. I really said BS when they said the mongoose told them the day and year he was born and could tell jokes and stuff. Even if it could talk how in the world would it know and understand our dates and calender and year system? What, he's got a calender in his hole or wherever mongooses live?! LOL! Nice little story though, entertaining, but totally unreal. thumbsup.giforiginal.gif

272620[/snapback]

Yeah! thumbsup.gif I have an open mind about unexplained mysteries and supernatural stuff, but Gef looks and sounds like a character from a children's book. I just have to draw the line here. LOL! grin2.gifwhistling2.gif

Edited by Chanelle_Rose

272620[/snapback]

Well if recording equipment was available between 1931 (first appearance) and 1937 (when the Irvings abruptly sold the farm and moved out), then i'm sure Gef will be either proved or disproved.

Actually in 1931, Irving's daughter was 13...

PS In India, there is a tradition that certain mongooses can learn human speech

272628[/snapback]

It's not just the learning of human speech that trips me out, because even parrots and apes can talk, apes using sign, but you are saying that the mongoose in addition to talking can understand and comprehend things that an animal cannot, like knowing where he was born and when, telling jokes and being afraid of ghosts! Come on now! LOL! tongue.gif I didn't know mongooses went to mongoose school to learn geography and dates and to learn what a ghost is. tongue.gif

Edited by Chanelle_Rose

Not sure if this is in the story either, but in addition to talking, Gef would also bring the family gifts of dead rabbits, would allow them to watch him eat via his shadow, and even stuck his hand out for them to see his stumpy, yellowed fingers--did a crazy girl manage all that too??

• 2 weeks later...

*points, whines* Parrots can so too understand what they're saying.

A lot of very serious clinical research has gone into parrots and the great apes. Well, no, a parrot or an ape would likely never address you about the weather or make small talk on politics, they can still use words meaningfully. I spent a long time working with mine and she can put together individual words, like "WANT APPLE" or "UP UP FLY." She'll also use phrases that she's learned to mimic as one long series of sounds appropriately. "Come Here!" Is what she'll say when she wants me, but when she uses "COME" or "HERE" as individual words they're completely different sounding, so I don't think she gets that the phrase is made up of individual words. I might suggest, if the topic of "talking animals" interests you

Roger Fouts' book, Next of Kin

www.gorilla.org

http://www.alexfoundation.org/

agreed--i was very impressed with a parrot i saw on a tv show a long time ago--could distungish shapes, colors and numbers!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah birds can imitate people and do voices and talk, but are mongooses/mongeese whatever known to be able to talk?, i mean how smart are they? do they have the ability to talk?...anyone heard anyhing, or is it a myth?

cool.gif