Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

For the theorists: Why did the world not end?

21/12/12 doomsday 21 12 2012

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Unfortunately i had to go out at 6:30 this morning and start shovelling 2 feet of snow after last nights storm.My wife wouldn't accept the end of the world as an excuse not to...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#32    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Its just a common term used as it occurs once on the updrift and once on the downdrift similar to a equinox. Sorry if that confused. I think in layman terms its easier to understand.

I agree with you about the level of gravity changes but the weather patterns and possibly solar activity may be very sensitive these small changes.

#33    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Ok. I was going to earlier but saw the kidding so i left it out.

The galactic equinox is a multi year event. No one knows how long it will take to traverse this plane or where its apex is. I believe we just saw the Mayans best prediction at this apex. our actual the solar system will be in the flux zone of the gravitational pull from our galaxies central black hole. It has been for the several past years and could be for many years to come.

The carrot on the stick in this is there are other objects that may be getting effected by this same central pull that may go through our solar system on there on effected orbits. You can add the Legend of Nibiru here. But scientists have made claims that increased objects such as asteroids and comets are a distinct possibility in this zone. Solar activity can be effected by this as well.

There could me stellar phenomenon in this region (magnetic,gravitary, unkowns) that we will not see by the naked eye. So yeah. Think of it as a Doomsday prophecy that goes on for years. But likely we will only see the sun have some changes, a few objects drifting through the solar system that are not originally from here, and continued weather issues and as we continue to increase our carbon footprint we could leave this what would have just been a few bad storm seasons into a mini ice. or general ice age.

Yep there is always a chance we will be hit by an asteroid and in fact it has happened several time in the past and most likely will happen again,hell I'd bet on it.  That, in no way, however, has anything at all to do with the Mayan calendar. Nothing.  The Mayans never mentioned an asteroid hitting the earth in the past, much less the future and their calendar has nothing at all to do with the world ending, they simply stopped carving because they stopped there.  If they added another 45 years we'd have the same dopes declaring the end of the world in 45 years.  They have to stop somewhere, it just happened to be our date of 10/21/2012.  Period.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#34    Charpoy Major

Charpoy Major

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

• There,s nothing new under the Sun.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Cancelled due to heavy rain.

#35    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

The Mayans were most definitely Liverpool FC Fans... Making bold, ridiculous predictions, living off ancient history, lost among modern civilisation.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#36    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

We just didn't want it enough.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#37    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yep there is always a chance we will be hit by an asteroid and in fact it has happened several time in the past and most likely will happen again,hell I'd bet on it.  That, in no way, however, has anything at all to do with the Mayan calendar. Nothing.  The Mayans never mentioned an asteroid hitting the earth in the past, much less the future and their calendar has nothing at all to do with the world ending, they simply stopped carving because they stopped there.  If they added another 45 years we'd have the same dopes declaring the end of the world in 45 years.  They have to stop somewhere, it just happened to be our date of 10/21/2012.  Period.

I was refering to Asteroid or Comet transiting our solar system. That are not native due to the altered gravitational pull.

#38    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

I was refering to Asteroid or Comet transiting our solar system. That are not native due to the altered gravitational pull.

Which is always happening.  Are you saying a "galactic equinox" will increase the number of these objects?  How?   And yopu are presupposing thet the Mayans were aware of a black hole at the center of our galaxy I assume.  Strange since they had no concept of gal;axy and certainly not of black holes.  Then you drift into an increasing carbon footprint that the Mayans were also unaware of and a coming mini ice age.  Are you saying an increase in atmospheric carbon will lead to an ice age?  Wow, lots of global warmers here will chastise tyou for that.

Mini-ice ages and general ice ages as well as warming trends are part and parcel of this planet's existence and there will certainly be many more of both in the future but once again, the Mayans had absolutely no inkling that either exists and so I ask, what do they have to do with the Mayan calendar and the supposed 12/21/12 apocalypse?

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#39    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Can you cite much of anything the Mayans did or did not know I cant because most of there written history was destroyed.

But Ill concede I agree with some of what you wrote but in the other spectrum you are dicing words. I wasn't  trying to write a scientific analysis of it but just answer the OP's request that noone had responded.

The cause of an increase of transiting objects would occur from there being an increased gravitational pull the closer (Im going to call it the equinox as its what Im familiar with) to the equinox we are. Although minor it is enough to alter the trajectory of vulnerable objects.

Im not a doomsday person so it would be hard to split hairs with you on those scenarios. Luckily I will be long gone before the carbon footprint I left effects my childrens child. So yeah. We can either let things happen naturally and enjoy the normal ebb and flow of being hit by asteroids and experiencing ice ages. Or we can continue be high end emitters and push this world faster into it what it does normally. Perhaps Fracking will help us buy a little time. Perhaps not.

#40    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Gravitational force is proportional to the size of the object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

Sagittarius A*, the massive black hole is estimated to be 4,000,000 solar masses.  It is also 26,000 light years away.  There are approximately 63,000 astronomical units in a light year, therefore Sagittarius A* is 1.6 billion times further away than the sun.

Putting that all together reveals that the gravitational pull of Sagittarius A* on earth is approximately 670 billion times weaker than that of the sun.

Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to our solar system has slightly more gravitational pull on earth than the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

And more to the point, we are the same distance (give or take an utterly insignificant amount) from the center of the galaxy as we were a hundred years ago and will be in a hundred years from now, therefore it's gravitational pull on Earth or any nearby comets or asteroids has remained the same, there is no "altered gravitational pull" so what possible mechanism are you proposing for why in 2012, it might somehow cause objects from outside our solar system to be drawn into our solar system?  Some sort of alignment or whatever isn't going to alter the gravitational pull of Sagitarrius A*, which is utterly negligible as it is.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#41    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 21 December 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

I wonder how much money NK spent to research and produce a globally popular dance song. Maybe they've been using the nuke tests to distract us from their real agenda all this time...

That artist and production comes from South Korea, not North.

#42    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 21 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Ok guys. So why are we still here?

Open slate. All answers welcome.

Any theories? Any extended time frames? Any '2 year buffers' to help you not look so wrong?

I do want answers. And I know there are people on here who should be replying to this topic.

I will be liberal in my replies.

Please proceed...

1. If everything should run normally till 12/21/2012, it means that the end should take place on 12/22/2012, which is tomorrow.

2. I have clearly said that there will be no end of the world yet (in 2012). There are planned things to happen which did not happen yet and the end of the world would prevent them from coming to pass.

Edited by The_Spirit_of_Truth, 21 December 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#43    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

So then Black Holes don't eat matter and dust. Because they need a gravity to pull their food in.

Thank you. I appreciate the information and well just have to see what happens over the next few years if that insignificant gravitational change is enough to move a pea sized rock in a different direction. Too bad we cant accurately predict where along the plane of the great rift we even are as far as its equator goes. So it makes it fuzzy to start with.

I have never heard this 100 mile thing. Are you suggesting this once every 26,000 year event is a change in 100 miles seems odd to myself. Can you help explain how that is so. Are you saying we are moving on a flat like plane then ?

There is criticism I have found which I think sums well what I was trying to say in regards to crossing the plane.

Criticism

Astronomers such as David Morrison argue that the galactic equator is an entirely arbitrary line and can never be precisely drawn, because it is impossible to determine the Milky Way's exact boundaries, which vary depending on clarity of view. Jenkins claims he drew his conclusions about the location of the galactic equator from observations taken at above 11,000 feet (3,400 m), an altitude that gives a clearer image of the Milky Way than Maya had access to.[65] Furthermore, since the Sun is half a degree wide, its solstice position takes 36 years to precess its full width. Jenkins himself notes that even given his determined location for the line of the galactic equator, its most precise convergence with the center of the Sun already occurred in 1998, and so asserts that, rather than 2012, the galactic alignment instead focuses on a multi-year period centred on 1998

#44    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

The Mayan calendar many believe predicts the end of the world actually indicates the beginning of a new calendar cycle, according to a new archaeological find.
After uncovering a mural in Mayan ruins in Guatemala, researchers say the ancient people did not think the end would come on 22 December 2012.
On the wall of a tiny structure buried under forest debris in Guatemala, archaeologists have discovered a scribe’s notes about the Maya lunar calendar, which they say could be the first known records by an official chronicler of this ancient civilization.
These notes pertain to the same Maya calendar that is sometimes erroneously thought to predict the world’s end on or about Dec. 22, 2012. The researchers who helped uncover and decipher the wall’s inscriptions said the Maya calendar foresaw a vast progression of time, with the December 2012 date the beginning of a new calendar cycle called a baktun.
"They were looking at the way these cycles were turning," said William Saturno of Boston University, an author of an article on the find in the journal Science. "The Maya calendar is going to keep going and keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future, a huge number that we can’t even wrap our heads around."

Source: http://www.euronews....omsday-mystery/

#45    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,108 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

View Postpallidin, on 21 December 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

That artist and production comes from South Korea, not North.
I think there's a typographical error there. You typed the word "artist" by mistake.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users