Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rampant England set Aussies a record-breaking task

Blackleaf

Andrew Strauss' sixth Test century helped England set Australia an improbable 423 to take a 2-1 series lead at Old Trafford.

The Middlesex left-hander's second-innings effort was the main contribution in a total of 280 for six declared, ensuring the Australians will have to make the highest score to win a Test in history.

The current record is held by West Indies, who stacked up 418 to beat Australia two years ago in Antigua.

To put the task in perspective, however, the 231 for three compiled by England against West Indies last year was the biggest ever successful pursuit in Manchester.

Australia closed on 24 without loss, openers Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer surviving against the spin of Ashley Giles and captain Michael Vaughan in fading light.

After initially struggling for fluency and being struck by a Brett Lee bouncer for the second time in the match, Strauss got to his maiden half-century against the Australians from 89 deliveries, including five fours and a hooked six.

That maximum, off Lee, was followed by a pull off leg-spinner Shane Warne into the stands to move him into the 90s.

And he got to three figures with another similar stroke, this time for four, off Glenn McGrath as England surged towards a declaration.

Marcus Trescothick's stylish contribution came to an end when, having contributed 41 of a first-wicket stand of 64, he prodded down on a McGrath delivery which bounced back onto the stumps.

Captain Michael Vaughan also succumbed in the pursuit of quick runs but Strauss, England's man of the series last winter in South Africa, was joined in a 127-run stand with Ian Bell, who hit his second half-century of the Test.

Ambition accounted for Strauss, however, when he mishit another cross-bat shot off McGrath to be held low down in the deep by Damien Martyn off McGrath.

Veteran paceman McGrath claimed his 28th five-wicket haul in Tests by sending back Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff and Bell in quick succession although he also took some punishment, with Geraint Jones lofting two huge sixes to signal a declaration from Vaughan.

Earlier, Simon Jones claimed a career-best Test haul as Australia were dismissed for 302.

Glamorgan fast bowler Jones, playing in his 17th match at this level, provided England with the cutting edge required to finish off stubborn resistance from the Australian tail and end with figures of six for 53.

Warne's luck ran out 10 runs shy of a maiden Test hundred when, having been missed twice yesterday evening by wicketkeeper Geraint Jones, he perished to Simon Jones' second ball of the day.

The first was clouted through the off side by Warne for a boundary but the next, pitched halfway down the track, was hooked straight to deep square-leg.

It was no surprise that it was the golden arm of the Welshman which broke the 90-run partnership between Warne and Jason Gillespie, given his ability to strike at the very start of spells.

His second success of the morning, however, came from a combination of calculated fast bowling and a fine slip catch from Marcus Trescothick.

Brett Lee was given a working over with a nasty bouncer followed by a probing line outside off-stump, which resulted in an edge to Trescothick, diving to his left.

A rare piece of aggression from Gillespie, when he hooked Jones into the stands at long leg to bring up the 300, encouraged captain Michael Vaughan to take the new ball.

And with the third delivery Jones gained a leg-before decision which took his tally to six victims.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackleaf

• Subtemperate

• jasibaby

• Wrighty

cant remember the last time the ossis where celebrating a draw v the mighty england we will have them at trent bridge they are like dads amy come on england

You know, all the "experts" were saying that AUstralia's dominace in international cricket was bad for the game. Now that Australia is losing, the same "experts" are claiming Australia's loss as tragic.....

I'm not a huge cricket fan, but I'll take the patriotic stance - Go you good thing aussies. Chase that target down grin2.gif

Australia showed the heart and courage that made them number 1 by dragging to a draw. Im happier with they way they drew that test, then won the first one.

If australia can awaken some of their batsmen..... the tests shall be even more interesting.....

The way England have dominated the last two Tests, completely outplaying Australia, the Aussies don't deserve to be world number 1. The Aussies got out of jail. They were LUCKY to draw the Third Test. England deserve to be 2-1 ahead in the Series instead of 1-1 the way they have played. Watching this Ashes series so far, it's hard to tell who, actually, are the World Champions.

Still, there's always the Third Test - in which I'm sure we'll also outplay the Aussies again.

For a team completely outplaying us.... You have only beaten us by 2 runs..... and drawn us.

Seriously, if thats as well as you can outplay us, You don't deserve to be number 1......

The next test is the big one...... And im sure some changes to our side will be made, with perhaps one batsman who can bat coming in......

We outplayed you in both Tests. Are you seriously saying that Australia played well in both Tests? England deserved to win them both. England deserve to be 2-1 ahead in the series. Remember, RAIN saved you in the Third Test. There was hardly any cricket played on Saturday because of the rain, so that meant England had to take all 10 wickets on Monday in order to beat you.

If there was no rain on Saturday, we would have beaten you, as we deserved to, and we maybe would have beaten you on Sunday.

It must be embarrasing for the Aussies to have to rely on the rain to stop England beating them.

Edited by Blackleaf

So if it never rained on Saturday, we would have had an extra few hours of cricket played. That would have emant that Australia would have lost, because we would probably have just had to take 6 or 7 wickets yesterday in order to win.

Australia are lucky not to be 2-1 down, which is where they deserve to be.

laugh.gif

Being number one isn't how you play when you win...... Its how you perform when out of form, and not having momentum.

England were LUCKY to win the 2nd test, as it could of gone either way... and we failed to get the final 2 runs.....

If it wasn't for rain, sure we probably would have lost..... Big deal.....

Losing, and fighting is a sign of a great team, not winning when hot...... Your team did not fight in the first test did it.....

I wouldn't say we were lucky to win the 2nd Test. We might have won by just 2 runs, but we dominated Australia in that game, too, and deserved to win.

Shouldn't you be supporting Scotland, who play in the English County Championship and are second-bottom in the Second Division, just above Surrey, I think?

Why would i do that? I might be in scotland, but im not scottish....

Thats like saying if you travel overseas to go to the olympics you must barrack for the local team.....

Anyhow, if you class dominating as only getting 2 runs more then your opposition.... then perhaps we need a new term....

You dominated our batsman, definately, but not our team.

We dominated Australia's batsmen, and our fielders were better catchers than Australia's.

The Australian fielders couldn't even catch a cold.

We dominated in the batting and the fielding.

in the second test? Are you kidding?

if you dominate one side, get the same amount of wickets... and only 2 more runs... I would assume that makes it pretty even.

If thats english crickets version of dominating.... then perhaps they are too easily pleased...

you aussies so far have been outplayed and you have underestermated this england side our seem attack is the best in the world plus our batting is getting better and i can not see you retaining the ashes your team is just 2 old and is starting to show its age

Subby vs. Blackleaf recap.

BLeaf: England totally outplayed Australia.

Sub: No, they totally didn't.

BLeaf: Yeah, they did.

Sub: No, they didn't.

(repeat ad nausium)

grin2.gif

From an English perspective can I appeal to our Australian friends to keep on picking Jason Gillespie. laugh.gif

I think we can all agree that Australia are not playing at anywhere near their best while England are playing quite well but until England can actually beat us at our best they will still only deserve to be number 2 in the world. That second test, England should have won easily and for us to get so close and then in the third test with three injured players we managed a draw. We may have had the help of the rain, and yes I will admit that, but even with that Engand should have won if they are so much better than us and they didn`t. That test was a serious boost for our confidence and should give our batsmen a serious wake-up call. Its time for us to play at our best, then let us see how the english go!

Australia should have played Scotland today in a friendly match, but it was abandoned due to rain.

Scotland, even though it's a nation, play in the English (and Welsh) County Championship, and are BOTTOM of Division Two, and there are only two divisions, so Australia should have had no problem against Scotland.

But, considering the way the Aussies have been playing lately.......

I think we can all agree that Australia are not playing at anywhere near their best while England are playing quite well but until England can actually beat us at our best they will still only deserve to be number 2 in the world. That second test, England should have won easily and for us to get so close and then in the third test with three injured players we managed a draw. We may have had the help of the rain, and yes I will admit that, but even with that Engand should have won if they are so much better than us and they didn`t. That test was a serious boost for our confidence and should give our batsmen a serious wake-up call. Its time for us to play at our best, then let us see how the english go!

796606[/snapback]

I think Australia have been playing at their best, but they are just past their sell-by date.

In today's newspaper, a former West Indies cricketer says that England now have the most formidable bowling attack in the world since the great West Indies side of the 1980's and says it's only a matter of time before England overtake Australia to become World Number 1, in the same way that Australia over took the West Indies to become World Number 1 in the 1990's.

Edited by Blackleaf