Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who else likes classic video games here?

LostSouls7

Anyone else a fan of the old video game systems? things like Atari, Nintendo, Super NES, Sega Genesis etc ?

I mean 6 bit to 16 bit. Before 3D took over.

• Like 6

I like the new ones myself however I did find a site where I can play some of the old favorites I used to play like Legend of Zelda/Links Awakening, Breath of Fire and Bof2, Lufia and Lufia 2, Shining in the Darkness (Sega Genesis), Final Fantasy 6 and so on.

Even though I really like my new ones I still miss some of my old games too.

• Like 2

I was a fan of all of the systems....but only because we had nothing else at the time.

My first 'console' was a machine that played PONG and 5-6 variations of it, controllers built right into it (just plastic knobs for two players)

Had the Original Atari (before anyone called it a 2600). Lots and lots of hours on that. I had a buddy that had an Intellivision, and another with a Coleco system. SOme of the stuff was pretty innovative for the day, but is all laughable now.

Tried to buy the Atari 5200 from an ad in the back of a gaming magazine. This was years before the Internet. Cheap b****** took our money, and promptly went bankrupt...never got the console or any money back. For a while, the only games worth playing were in the arcades., as home video games basically crashed.

The NES was the next one, finally reestablishing the home gaming system after a really long no-mans land. Super Mario Brothers is still one of the most enjoyable games ever. But, they had so many games, the Zelda game was great, as was Castlevania.

Loved the Sega Genesis. They had great fighting and adventure games, but the sports games were really my favorite.. Some of the best Madden games were on that. I had the original Madden game before they were licensed by the NFL...Just 17 'generic' City teams (with correct colors though).

About this time is when Handheld gaming started coming in its' own. The Atari Lynx was very ahead of it's time, and I still have two of them. (not sure if they still work though)

Eventually, I jumped into computer gaming, and taught myself a ton about computers by trying to make games work on my system.

Occassionally, I feel nostalgic and want to play some of the long past great games, but mostly the new consoles are incredible. I don't have to keep up with having a spec'd out PC constantly, and can play from the comfort of my couch again, on my huge HDTV.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 9

I have a Nintendo with about 45 games to choose from. I rarely play video games anymore, and have none of the latest systems, but I like to turn on the Nintendo from time to time to kill a few minutes. I got some decent games too, all leftover from childhood. Tyson's Punchout, Super Mario 3, and Bionic Commando to name a few.

• Like 5

I miss the classics. There is something about the simplicity of them that makes me happy. Some of the newer games like Binding of Isaac have this. I like playing the original doom from time to time, wish I had a snes, would love to play mario world again. Really want to play mario 3.

• Like 5

I miss the classics. There is something about the simplicity of them that makes me happy. Some of the newer games like Binding of Isaac have this. I like playing the original doom from time to time, wish I had a snes, would love to play mario world again. Really want to play mario 3.

can always use emulators if you cant get yourself the old console or until you do :) i have super mario world on my phone lol

I've used emulators before but it's just not the same feeling. What I really miss is the Turbo Grafix 16. No one played it, but I had one. My parents bought me a nes when it first came out, safe to say I was the most popular kid in the trailer park lol. Later on I bought myself a snes and sega. The turbo grafix was purchased on a discount. Got about 6 games with it.

In the early 2000's I spent a lot of time playing the Yugioh games on the gameboy and DS. Even played the card game with my little cousin. Went to two tournaments. Lost both lol. Batteryman forever.

• Like 2

I've used emulators before but it's just not the same feeling. What I really miss is the Turbo Grafix 16. No one played it, but I had one. My parents bought me a nes when it first came out, safe to say I was the most popular kid in the trailer park lol. Later on I bought myself a snes and sega. The turbo grafix was purchased on a discount. Got about 6 games with it.

In the early 2000's I spent a lot of time playing the Yugioh games on the gameboy and DS. Even played the card game with my little cousin. Went to two tournaments. Lost both lol. Batteryman forever.

true it's not the same as having the old giant plastic console and cartridges.

i knew a kid who had the virtual boy back in the day, many headaches and took about 3 days for him to hate it and never use it again, took me one try lol. i miss spending hours on my genesis playing streets of rage and playing donkey kong country on my snes those songs are stil in my head all these years later.

never got into yugioh i rocked pokemon and a magic the gathering game on my pc that was probably one of the most unfair and cheapest games i can remember

• Like 3

Splatterhouse and Bonk's Revenge, great Turbo Graphics 16 games. I had one of those consoles too, but it's since been lost to time.

Splatterhouse brought the gore lol. The warning on it read:

"The horrifying theme of this game may be inappropriate for young children... and cowards."

• Like 3

I still have a SNES, N64 & Gamecube, not played any of them in ages though, I really should, the SNES is the greatest console ever imho

• Like 3

Splatterhouse and Bonk's Revenge, great Turbo Graphics 16 games. I had one of those consoles too, but it's since been lost to time.

Splatterhouse brought the gore lol. The warning on it read:

"The horrifying theme of this game may be inappropriate for young children... and cowards."

I was quite fond of Air Zonk for the TG-16.

cdd-art-1.jpg

• Like 2

I havn't played much video games over the last two or three years,kinda got burned out on them and also tired of paying insane prices for new systems every two or three years when the current ones still hadn't even maxed out their capabilities... <_<

Out of the older ones it's close between the original Playstation and SNES but i give the slight edge to Playstation.

Metal Gear Solid,Twisted Metal 1 and 2,Castlevania SOTN,Tony Hawk 1,ect...

The years 96-98 of mine got lost in some strange Playstation universe lol

There is a store that sells retro games and consoles not far from me,been thinking about getting a SNES just for Zelda a link to the past alone!

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 2

Some "friend" I once had borrowed my Super Nintendo with a multitude of games, and then moved overseas a couple of weeks after. :cry: I never fully recovered from that loss.

• Like 4

Some "friend" I once had borrowed my Super Nintendo with a multitude of games, and then moved overseas a couple of weeks after. :cry: I never fully recovered from that loss.

Get on to eBay & get a replacement :tu:

• Like 1

Get on to eBay & get a replacement :tu:

They sell friends now on eBay? This changes everything. :innocent:

• Like 4

Anyone else a fan of the old video game systems? things like Atari, Nintendo, Super NES, Sega Genesis etc ?

I mean 6 bit to 16 bit. Before 3D took over.

Yes mostly because I can play them free with emulators.

i use to play donkey kong country 2 when i was a kid in japan but then the system broke. :td:

• Like 1

chexquest123.jpg#geekosystem

Anyone besides myself played this game back in the day?

is... is that the chex game?

i could have sworn that game was a fever dream i had

Yep, definitely. My first gaming system was a spectrum ZX with the awful rubber keys, and tapes that took an age to load. Then it was the Sega Megadrive (Genesis). Fond memories of Road Rash, Sonic, Rocket Knight, Echo the Dolphin, Desert Strike and Shadow of the Beast... Meanwhile my step-bro had a SNES, so between us we had a pretty good selection. Think my fave was the PS1 though. And I still have my original gameboy somewhere which sadly has given up the ghost. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is one of the finest games ever made.

• Like 1