Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
687 replies to this topic

#16    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 May 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Balance is a good thing; the Buddha recommended the middle way (in the context of between asceticism and hedonism).  However, one can be too extreme about always being in the middle.  Arsenic is not something to consume in a balanced fashion, nor is foolishness.I guess the point here is that the claim that a position is balanced is a logical fallacy and should not be made in rational discussion.  Balance is in the eye of the beholder and, besides, one can be unbalanced in one's balance.

Well stated.  Thanks for your comment.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#17    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

I hate the way people automatically claim that people who believe in 1 CT believe them all. lol That is why the Governments etc love CT's and the ignorant people who brand all conspiracy theorists as the same.

If you do not question the government and take everything they say as the truth, then you are a moron. I know that is harsh, but I was actually being as kind as possible. The government is supposed to be questioned, tested and scrutinized. If you fial to do that, then you don't actually know what a government is and you are part of the problem.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#18    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostAshiene, on 05 May 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Conspiracies arise from a population's distrust of their government. As 90% of all conspiracies come from USA, it tells you a lot about how Americans view their government.

That's because it's in the USA that you can see the most facade and denial to be put to this. You might say the first place would go to China or to North Korea, but isn't it all too evident in their cases? It's like even they themselves know what they're swimming in, even though they too are adamant about their integrity. Russia at least doesn't hide it's corruption and cruelty.

An important conclusion that the authors draw from their analysis is that people don't tend to believe in a conspiracy theory because of the specifics, but rather because of higher-order beliefs that support conspiracy-like thinking more generally. A popular example of such higher-order beliefs is a severe “distrust of authority.” The authors go on to suggest that conspiracism is therefore not just about belief in an individual theory, but rather an ideological lens through which we view the world.

I find this be so too, and I'm usually keeping the possibility to conspiracy open unless I've been proven otherwise, it's not that hard to prove things otherwise in this time and era, all you need is to prove the official explanation. Smoke doens't come out of nothing, it's just a matter of finding the source of smoke, whether it's someone wanting money or attention or an actual conspiracy, or a mistake or misunderstanding. Will to take to account possibilities and hunches versus the will to stick to what they deem real. And of course you can't deem a conspiracy real because it's not been proven, that why you ask for evidence when you have an opposite mindset that's stronger. Not saying it's wrong, but again, it too is just one side of the coin.

You could turn the table here by claiming that only a mind that can extend itself to think beyond what it deems real, can even grasp the possibility of a conspiracy. The possibility that what you deemed real, had another side to it that turned the picture around. Holding that kind of possibility is healthy for both and all parties, even though it can hurt when your believes might come under a wrecking hammer and be remodeled due to your own sense of integrity. Happened to me, I've seriously questioned where astrology (my favourite subject) comes from and whether there'd be some other better way to examine things we do through there. But I let myself be questioned there in order to be able to experience benefical changes.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,983 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

No that is not true.  I have no notion at all that people who believe in conspiracy theories automatically believe all of them.  More typically they focus on just one of them and become irrational about it, not much paying attention to the others.

A lot also depends on how one defines "conspiracy theory."  That there was a conspiracy in the government late in Reagan's term to sell arms clandestinely and illegally to the Iranians to fight the Iraqis, I don't doubt, and Reagan could, maybe should, have been impeached for it except that his term was almost over.  That Clinton "conspired" with aids to cover up his sexual peccadilloes is also a fact, although here impeachment was silly.  Watergate was certainly a grand conspiracy, derived from the trivial but turned serious by the cover-up efforts (that didn't succeed).

So, they happen, and maybe one or two times they get away with it, although I think that unlikely.  Most conspiracy theorists betray a fundamental naivety about the way power and government function, and a certain mental imbalance we call paranoia.

#20    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Because they have way too much time on their hands.

#21    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 05 May 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Because they have way too much time on their hands.

I find this comment hilarious.

You ever thought it's because they have the time to think about it and research it, were as a busy person doesn't.

You think Tesla could have done the things he did if he was busy doing a full time job while having a hobby of some sort.

The fact is the majority of people work in a job they hate, come home and slouch on their couch and watch mind less TV. They carry on thinking the world is meant to be that way, while paying taxes to a corrupt government who is constantly in debt to a privately owned bank. I find it hilarious in a way. Even more hilarious that when the person is American and patriotic they don't even realise it is a system that their forefathers fought against.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#22    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,916 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't trust this article...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#23    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,168 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Always trust yourself

#24    nothinglizx2

nothinglizx2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

It's because they want you to believe it's all in your head.  It's another form of mind control.  As long as they can manipulate your thoughts one way or the other, they call the shots.

Conspiracy Theory, is not the absence of proof but the proof of absence.

You can't live in this world and not notice that something is terribly wrong here.  If good people don't stand up to evil or even know that the evil is flourishing in dark places,
eventually it over runs the good before they even know what's happening.

Evil runs rampant where the eye cannot see, it over throws governments from the shadows, it toys with your hearts and minds, till eventually your hallow, then it takes your soul without you even knowing it, till eventually it seems there is no way to stop it.
That's when you wake up and realize that you are a child of the illuminati.

Edited by nothinglizx2, 05 May 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#25    Fstop

Fstop

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 05 May 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I don't trust this article...

you crack me up, JC.  :D

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#26    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,287 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

I don't think the article addressed a good reason why some people love CT which is they want to feel they are aware of special knowledge. There is a certain mystique to thinking you know something all the rest of us "suckers" don't know, hence the name "sheeple" used to describe people who supposedly follow what they are told. I look at some of the more well know CT folks like Alex Jones, Jesse Ventura and the like, and for them it's given them an air of celebrity and in Venturas case a continued celebrity probably far past what he would have gotten as a former politician.

I've had a lot of discussions with people who believed in various CT and the one thing that I come back with is  quite a few have the same attitude. I usually ask them the same question, if everything you say is true, lets assume that it is for a minute, how does that knowledge change anything? Say we didn't land on the moon and it's a giant lie, but most people believe it. Given that all the chest beating, all the fist pounding and attempting to show people it isn't true, it doesn't really do much to sway those who believe (one way or the other). It's sort of like a religion, it's mostly based on the faith that the "facts" either side are correct. I felt that way about 9/11 truthers whether I believed their ideas or not the outcome (3000+ dead) was still sadly the same.

I've had one guy who was into the whole Rothschild banking/Bilderberg/NWO CT'er nearly go mental on me because I asked him if it's all true what are you doing about that has any effect? I said even if you remove all your money from banks and just rely on cash, in the end it's only your money, the system is still in place, the same people hold power. He became livid like I was implying that we SHOULD do nothing which wasn't what I was asking. If bringing to light conspiracies brought them down or cracked them open I could see his point but railing against something and doing it in a way (Alex Jones Rant as an example) that makes you the person relaying that info look kinda nutty isn't going to change anything either. I have often listened to different shows on Coast to Coast in the old days where calm, rational ex military recounted personal UFO experiences for example, now that I'm more liable to put some belief into simply because the messenger so to speak did it in a way that seemed sane. That special knowledge that people want to hold and sometimes lord over people with is a real turn off. It smacks of "I see it and you can't, aren't you dumb" and I think it is what gives CT a bad reputation. I don't disbelieve every conspiracy theory but if someone refuses to hear the other side, returns with retorts like "you're asleep, you're sheeple" how serious are you supposed to take them?

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#27    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,397 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

yep! Way too much time on there fingers ! Thats the Ticket ! C.T`s are mostly just that too much everything ! Too much time,too much bad Ideas,too much gass.

This is a Work in Progress!

#28    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,475 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Lilithlady, you have a fair point. I never liked the Alex Jones style, and assaulting people (with words) when they disagree.

There at least was a time I held those illuminati conspiracies very likely existing, viable theories, and it's quite frustrating for other people to take it like some kind of a game if you tell anyone about them. As if I was playing around... but gotta keep your cool there as you said.

And unless you're a city-commando rambo and can assassinate all the people involved, talking thousands of people with heavy security and everyone else alerted when a random person kills one, should you even succeed with it one time... there's no quarantee it'll last even if you'd remove them from power one way or another, no quarantee that the new generations would be the wiser. That's why I dont pick up a gun unless they actually start shooting at people here.
My solution is, take control of your life to your own hands as much as possible, live a happy life, and screw their plots in your grassroot level. Dont bother voting if you have a law that states that if less than 50% of people vote there's an emergency government and so on, and propose a direct and more local form of democracy, or a shift towards that. Could use some initiative to make things that'd make it easier for people to work on their own, and it'd be nice if the officials wouldn't make it harder like in some cases, "your garden is illegal because it's on the wrong side of the house or doesn't look nice to mr. police officer"... what? I just feel that money ties people too much to certain occupations, ties them too much to work under certain people and that allows those certain people to dictate what you do. Not saying they wouldn't be useful things but a lot of those things could be done better (not money-wise but all other thing wise, like nature-friendly wise and ethic-wise, with more humane and more free working hours and conditions and so on). It's not easy because I dont think there's one and only solution to all that, but just generally encouraging people to work on their own too if they want to do that, wouldn't hurt.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#29    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Conspiracy Theories are usually just entertainment value gone amuck from one thread of fact and someone making money. The bad thing is they can have very bad effects on innocent people and lead others further from the truth behind the matter. But it gets really weird if you find out a conspiracy you didn't believe turns out to be true. It makes you wonder about how many other ones could be partially true.

#30    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

is this even a question???why gee i wonder why??? its one big mystery right people???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users