Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Now there's more ice at South Pole than ever

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Why can't we ever have a climate prediction that comes true? Surely the alarmist would get more support if they can point and say "i told you so!"

#17    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,658 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 15 October 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Why can't we ever have a climate prediction that comes true? Surely the alarmist would get more support if they can point and say "i told you so!"
Mean Global temperature trend - correctly predicted. There you go - I told you so :tu:

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#18    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Public release date: 16-Oct-2012, http://www.eurekaler...g-aeb101612.php
Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
An extremely brief reversal of the geomagnetic field, climate variability and a super volcano

41,000 years ago, a complete and rapid reversal of the geomagnetic field occured. Magnetic studies of the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences on sediment cores from the Black Sea show that during this period, during the last ice age, a compass at the Black Sea would have pointed to the south instead of north. Moreover, data obtained by the research team formed around GFZ researchers Dr. Norbert Nowaczyk and Prof. Helge Arz, together with additional data from other studies in the North Atlantic, the South Pacific and Hawaii, prove that this polarity reversal was a global event. Their results are published in the latest issue of the scientific journal "Earth and Planetary Science Letters".
What is remarkable is the speed of the reversal: "The field geometry of reversed polarity, with field lines pointing into the opposite direction when compared to today's configuration, lasted for only about 440 years, and it was associated with a field strength that was only one quarter of today's field," explains Norbert Nowaczyk. "The actual polarity changes lasted only 250 years. In terms of geological time scales, that is very fast." During this period, the field was even weaker, with only 5% of today's field strength. As a consequence, the Earth nearly completely lost its protection shield against hard cosmic rays, leading to a significantly increased radiation exposure.
This is documented by peaks of radioactive beryllium (10Be) in ice cores from this time, recovered from the Greenland ice sheet. 10Be as well as radioactive carbon (14C) is caused by the collision of high-energy protons from space with atoms of the atmosphere.
The Laschamp event
The polarity reversal now found with the magnetisation of Black Sea sediments has already been known for 45 years. It was first discovered after the analysis of the magnetisation of several lava flows near the village Laschamp near Clermont-Ferrand in the Massif Central, which differed significantly from today's direction of the geomagnetic field. Since then, this geomagnetic feature is known as the 'Laschamp event'. However, the data of the Massif Central represent only some point readings of the geomagnetic field during the last ice age, whereas the new data from the Black Sea give a complete image of geomagnetic field variability at a high temporal resolution.
Abrupt climate changes and a super volcano
Besides giving evidence for a geomagnetic field reversal 41,000 years ago, the geoscientists from Potsdam discovered numerous abrupt climate changes during the last ice age in the analysed cores from the Black Sea, as it was already known from the Greenland ice cores. This ultimately allowed a high precision synchronisation of the two data records from the Black Sea and Greenland. The largest volcanic eruption on the Northern hemisphere in the past 100 000 years, namely the eruption of the super volcano 39400 years ago in the area of today's Phlegraean Fields near Naples, Italy, is also documented within the studied sediments from the Black Sea. The ashes of this eruption, during which about 350 cubic kilometers of rock and lava were ejected, were distributed over the entire eastern Mediterranean and up to central Russia. These three extreme scenarios, a short and fast reversal of the Earth's magnetic field, short-term climate variability of the last ice age and the volcanic eruption in Italy, have been investigated for the first time in a single geological archive and placed in precise chronological order.

###

Nowaczyk, N. R.; Arz, H. W.; Frank, U.; Kind, J.; Plessen, B. (2012): "Dynamics of the Laschamp geomagnetic excursion from Black Sea sediments" Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 351-352, 54-69. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2012.06.050.
Images in printable resolution:
www.gfz-potsdam.de/portal/gfz/Public+Relations/M40-Bildarchiv/Bildergalerie_Laschamp

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#19    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,106 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

It was a very cold dry winter in Australia so I can understand the extra ice. Our weather systems form offf the antartic coast or near abouts. Hell it snowed in Canberra.....Twice!!!! Once in the middle of spring. Now I dont know what has made the world topsy turvy, But there were lots of cyclones offf Asia this Year and Places like the US had bad droughts. We also have been warned for a extreme summer in Australia. So there must be something wrong whether its man/earth/solar related I dunno. ...... I saw snow yippee!!! :)

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#20    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,134 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Better just to sit on the fence regarding climate change:

OH man, I saw this a day ago. This is important stuff.
I think we need to make note about the fact that this is a lava planet. Heat. Has surely got to influence this solar system.
Closest-Ever Exoplanet Discovered In The Alpha Centauri Star System

October 17, 201

"But astronomers have finally been able to uncover such a planet in this star system, one that orbits Alpha Centauri B, and does so in a very tight orbit of just 3.6 days. It also has a surface temperature approaching 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit, making it far too hot for life to thrive. However, astronomers speculate that the planet is “tidally locked,” meaning the same side always faces its host star; further investigations will be required to prove this, but the team thinks its possible the planet could have an atmosphere.
Posted ImageredOrbit (http://s.tt/1qinD)"

http://www.redorbit....t-found-101712/

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#21    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I suppose I could start a new thread for this article I saw on Google News this morning, but this thread seems an appropriate place to post it.

http://www.guardian....tarctic-sea-ice

From the article : "The Arctic is losing sea ice five times faster than the Antarctic is gaining it, so, on average, the Earth is losing sea ice very quickly. There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming."

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

I suppose I could start a new thread for this article I saw on Google News this morning, but this thread seems an appropriate place to post it.

From the article : "The Arctic is losing sea ice five times faster than the Antarctic is gaining it, so, on average, the Earth is losing sea ice very quickly. There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming."

Ehm, yes, that was known for quite a time but just kept been silenced by the drone of the denialists... you know that cult claiming that the earth is not warming...

And the reasons why the ice is growing in the South is (in all likelihood) also known.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Little Fish

Little Fish

Government Agent

• 4,000 posts

• The default position is to give a ****

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

"There is no inconsistency between our results and global warming"

except the ipcc and their climate models were expecting a loss of sea ice in the antarctic.
http://www.ipcc.ch/i...dex.php?idp=150

#24    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostLittle Fish, on 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

except the ipcc and their climate models were expecting a loss of sea ice in the antarctic.

They call it a "mystery" in the article that I linked, so I would imagine their models will be tweaked with this new information. They solved the mystery and it doesn't disprove the premise. I'm not sure how this is a problem.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#25    Little Fish

Little Fish

Government Agent

• 4,000 posts

• The default position is to give a ****

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 13 November 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

They call it a "mystery" in the article that I linked, so I would imagine their models will be tweaked with this new information. They solved the mystery and it doesn't disprove the premise. I'm not sure how this is a problem.
what would disprove the premise?

#26    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,658 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostLittle Fish, on 13 November 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

what would disprove the premise?
If the energy balance at the top of the atmosphere went into reverse for over 30yrs.
The energy balance at the top of the atmosphere is ultimately the only metric which matters since it proves that the earth planetary system is still accumulating heat energy, ultimately everything else is just details.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 13 November 2012 - 07:46 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#27    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Warm Margaritas? Ick

What could possibly go wrong?

#28    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,265 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Isn't there something like this in Nepal? where the ice is growing?

#29    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,490 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostLittle Fish, on 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

Except that your reference is to the 2001 IPCC report.  Last I looked, this is 2012.  Are you trying to say that we haven't learned anything about climate in the last eleven years?  Well, I can think of one....
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#30    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 22 November 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Except that your reference is to the 2001 IPCC report.  Last I looked, this is 2012.  Are you trying to say that we haven't learned anything about climate in the last eleven years?  Well, I can think of one....
Doug

yep, I can too: the cult of the denialist is getting smaller but more fanatic and ill informed.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users