Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Talking Cats

mrs_kutcher232

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheBloom

• Panthera leo atrox

• flyinghigh23

• soccerstar

Cats are prety intelligent creatures, i had a cat who used to "Meow" to me when i was talking to it. So in a way it was communicating with me. When you think of Birds who can talk certain phrases quite easily, A cat of higher intelligence that could say a few choice words would not be that weird when you think about it....

Do cats have voice chords?

Apart from the fact cats can only move their mouths up and down and therefore unable tospak in our voice or language, i have a feeling theres a case of either fake or schitzophrenia.

Apart from the fact cats can only move their mouths up and down and therefore unable tospak in our voice or language, i have a feeling theres a case of either fake or schitzophrenia.

Sorry but you are just flat out wrong! Cats can speak and I have had the experience!

I decided to go fishing one day and invited our neighbors cat along. About half way to the lake...out of the blue...the cat said (in a very audible voice)

"Hey Dude, where are we going?" I said back to the cat, "Well....dude....we are going fishing." The cat was silent for a few moments and then said, "Excuse me dude, but you just passed by the bait shop!" I said, "Yes, I know..." and winked at the cat. The cat suddenly bellowed out a series of profanities and began trying to unlock the door to my truck. "You b@st@rd" the cat screamed.

I caught several bass and one perch. On the return trip, the cat was amazingly silent! tongue.gif

Edited by joc

rolleyes.gif

"Talking cats" are often shown on TV, on things like funny vidio shows. They often say things like "No" and "I love you". In cases like this the cats have basically learned a trick, either by being tought by their owners, learning by themselves, or even through their natural voices. These animals are not really talking, theye are just imitating human speech or have a voice that naturally, by coincidance, sounds like a human word. They have only, at best, a limited understanding of what they are doing. Over a long period of time they may come to connect the noise they make with a certian thing, or if intellegant enough, they may have already connected some things first by observing humans, but usually they only "talk" because they have been trained to do so to get a treat, because they enjoy getting a reaction from humans, or because their meows just coincidentally sound like human speech.

cat.gif

Sorry but you are just flat out wrong! Cats can speak and I have had the experience!

I decided to go fishing one day and invited our neighbors cat along. About half way to the lake...out of the blue...the cat said (in a very audible voice)

"Hey Dude, where are we going?" I said back to the cat, "Well....dude....we are going fishing." The cat was silent for a few moments and then said, "Excuse me dude, but you just passed by the bait shop!" I said, "Yes, I know..." and winked at the cat. The cat suddenly bellowed out a series of profanities and began trying to unlock the door to my truck. "You b@st@rd" the cat screamed.

I caught several bass and one perch. On the return trip, the cat was amazingly silent! tongue.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

cats can talk! I have 2 black ones, and they both talk in their own special little ways. 4 isntance, my cat (millie) nos when i cum home from skool (so shes psycic 2 !) and always cum up 2 me and talks 2 me (well miows) but i no wot shes saying coz its kinda like learning another language, only another animals language.

y did they let the cat b put down? u can cure cancers...i bet that was just the vets excuse coz they were scared...either that or the cat was possessed by the devil or summink.....hmm.... huh.gif

y did they let the cat b put down? u can cure cancers

Chances are, this was done because it is very expensive to cure cancer, and the people who found the cat did not have the money to spare for it.

my cats and I talk all the time, they may not actually use words, but you get to learn what they are saying if you listen

Edited by doomgirl

I'm a veterinary assistant, and I know that the veterinarian community still has no idea how cats purr, and what bodily structure is involved.

With some cats, their purr seems to come from their throat, and others sound like it's in their belly. That's always made me smile-that after everything veterinary medicine understands and can treat, we still can't explain a seemingly simple thing like purring.

As for the talking, I don't doubt that some cats might have the ability. I've seen a few videos on dogs making out words. I also had a friend that swore her cat said "Milk" everytime she would go to the fridge and take out the milk. If they have the ability to "Meow", then a little more tongue and lip movement could probably form other words. The problem with cats is they're so independent that I wonder if many of them would even bother if they could. It's also more difficult to teach cats anything compared to a dog because they don't respond the same way to reward. That, and also forming words that make sense would take more effort. Easier just to demand and command with meows. cat.gif

Panthera- I agree with what you said about cats learning/imitating words that were taught to them to receive something desirable (treat), but a lot of people don't take the time to work with them as much as they would with a dog, and many cats might not care very much. There was a video on Planet's Funniest Animals where the owner coached the dog to howl "video". Of course it was a little distorted sounding, but you could tell he'd worked a lot with the dog.

Edited by flyinghigh23

I'm a veterinary assistant, and I know that the veterinarian community still has no idea how cats purr, and what bodily structure is involved.

With some cats, their purr seems to come from their throat, and others sound like it's in their belly. That's always made me smile-that after everything veterinary medicine understands and can treat, we still can't explain a seemingly simple thing like purring.

As for the talking, I don't doubt that some cats might have the ability. I've seen a few videos on dogs making out words. I also had a friend that swore her cat said "Milk" everytime she would go to the fridge and take out the milk. If they have the ability to "Meow", then a little more tongue and lip movement could probably form other words. The problem with cats is they're so independent that I wonder if many of them would even bother if they could. It's also more difficult to teach cats anything compared to a dog because they don't respond the same way to reward. That, and also forming words that make sense would take more effort. Easier just to demand and command with meows. cat.gif

Panthera- I agree with what you said about cats learning/imitating words that were taught to them to receive something desirable (treat), but a lot of people don't take the time to work with them as much as they would with a dog, and many cats might not care very much. There was a video on Planet's Funniest Animals where the owner coached the dog to howl "video". Of course it was a little distorted sounding, but you could tell he'd worked a lot with the dog.

the reason cats purr is due to their cartiliage and diaphram (sp?)

Big Cats roar. It's the same process only bigger i think.

But domestic cats cannot get enough energy and so they only have a purr....goddamn im finding a website i can't explain this very well.

Purring is part of every cat's repertoire of social communication, apparently created by the movement of air in spasms through contractions of the diaphragm. Interestingly, purring is sometimes heard in cats who are severely ill or anxious, perhaps as a self-comforting vocalization. But, more typically, it is a sign of contentment, first heard in kittens as they suckle milk from their mother.

In adults, purring is heard in domesticated cats when they are petted, and in feral cats during sexual or other social contexts. Like submissive posturing among dogs, purring may be a signal of appeasement to other cats or to people, a way to communicate that the purring cat need not be threatened.

I suspect that these cases are the result of particular talent, on the cat's part and the human's. I have seen/heard of only about half the cases of "talking" cats as dogs, probably because of the reasons you have listed. From my experience, they are trainable and very responsive to food rewards. Mine will come when I call them and one can meow on command. I didn't put too much effort into training them, so I imagion that if I tried really hard I could get them to do some really cool stuff! All you really need is some time (about 2 months in many cases) and dedication. The cats I have worked with so far are fairly intelligent and responsive to human attention. Training a cat, especially one with natural talent, could very well make a cool hobby for some people. I have seen one cat, named Tiger, who could learn a new trick in 5 minutes! Such cases of extreme trainability and intelligence are rare, but then again, so are “talking” cats.

cat.gif

Edited by Panthera leo atrox

I have to say that I'm not really buying the whole cat talking thing, sure my cats meow to me when I get home from work but their only saying hi to me. The sure thing for me to believe that our cats could speak in our language was to be there in person. And maybe those two people were hearing their relatives who died and not their cats speaking. That's just my opinon. And I do think that cats have vocal cords how else would they meow hiss at us and others?

I know a guy who met a talking Dog. He's currently doing several life sentences in New York. he should've listened to the talking Cats instead, I guess..

My cat used to meow 'morning' to me when she first saw me every day. She didn't actually understand the word, or the language, she was just mimicing a phrase she had become used us saying to her when we first saw her over the 18 years of her life... like Parrots.

Hangar,

The diaphram would make sense to some degree, but I've never heard nor read anything about that causing the purr. Where did you get your source?

Hangar,

The diaphram would make sense to some degree, but I've never heard nor read anything about that causing the purr. Where did you get your source?

I got the same kind of source from many different sites. And i also have a tape of Cats...and their lifestyle etc. It also says in their that the reason how Big cats roar is due to their cartilage.

I once ate a brownie with some kinda magic stuff inside it and I heard my cat talk. My dog and bird and fish were talking after I ate that to.

I once ate a brownie with some kinda magic stuff inside it and I heard my cat talk. My dog and bird and fish were talking after I ate that to.

drugs are baaad kids mmmkay? thumbsup.gif

laugh.gif

I sometimes hear my insects talk to me. They say :" Put me down !!! Get your nasty fingers off me!!"

Well the Cat speaking apparatus is different from our own and is not designed with speech in mind. Yet cats need to talk, with other cats and with owners. They "speak" to each other through body language, communicating feelings and intentions through posture and facial expression. Scent is also an important factor of cat communication.

Cats can talk .

Kittens:

MEW! (loud and frantic) - an urgent plea for help rolleyes.gif

Adult cats:

MEOW! Meow! Meow! (repeated) - panicky call for help tongue.gif

mier-r-r-ow (chirrup with liting cadence) - friendly greeting grin2.gif

Sooooo, can ANY cat talk or just some "SPECIAL" ones?!?!???????

To find that out, I suppose you'd have to run an experiment on hundreds of cats, trying to teach them to talk. original.gif I doubt anyone's done such a study yet.