Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The unimaginable vastness of the universe.

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 19 June 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Yeah, but then there's string theory...

Which I think is totally possible, in which case we, and the universe, have and share all the same extra dimensions together. :)

#77    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,910 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostHugh, on 18 June 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

I agree with the title of the thread and can use it in the way I think about the potential for life to exist elsewhere in the universe.

I just have to think about the Hubble Ultra Deep Field... 10,000 galaxies, that's galaxies folks, in an area of the sky equivalent to 1mm X 1 mm held 1 meter away, which is equal to roughly one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky, and each of those galaxies containing billions and billions of stars and planets, and that was what existed about 13 billions of years ago...

So you've got all those planets in all those correct goldilocks zones, and whatever other conditions you want to impose, and you add in the time for evolution to take place of let's say an average of 7 or so billion years on those planets, and you add in the factor of life finding a way to try and continue to exist even in extreme conditions, and it's extremely easy for me to think that we're not the only life in the universe.

I'd go further and say that it's also very easy for me to think that there are billions of planets out there with life much more technologically advanced than humans as well.

If we looked into the night sky and there were no other stars or galaxies, we might be forgiven for thinking we are alone.  But as you point out thats not the case at all.  The universe seems very very inviting to life.  And it would take some sort of miracle beyond compare  if we are the only ones.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#78    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

A model I have kinda in mind (I can't really say in mind because it is not picturable) is the "distance" between dimensions is like the distance between two adjacent irrational numbers on the number line.  Since both numbers are represented to us as unending chains of digits, how can they be different, there being no last digit, yet the numbers still go on.

#79    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 19 June 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

If we looked into the night sky and there were no other stars or galaxies, we might be forgiven for thinking we are alone.  But as you point out thats not the case at all.  The universe seems very very inviting to life.  And it would take some sort of miracle beyond compare  if we are the only ones.
The universe is whatever it is, and we don't know.  The rules of probability lead us to think we are probably not alone, but they don't guarantee it.  We don't know from a single sample (us) what the chances really are.

#80    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,910 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

A few weak parts of the logic above.

First, life can be remarkably stubborn, but there are limits.

I thought some more and realise that the universe is unlimited with potential.  The universe will create life regardless, that seems overwhelmingly to be its purpose.  And of course it can even create beyond life, those dimensions we cant know or experience.

To have life ( or death ) all you need is a universe.

Edited by taniwha, 19 June 2014 - 05:32 AM.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#81    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,858 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 June 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

The universe is whatever it is, and we don't know.  The rules of probability lead us to think we are probably not alone, but they don't guarantee it.  We don't know from a single sample (us) what the chances really are.

I like to look at all the different forms of life here on Earth, and all the various extreme conditions and places that life exists here...

Check out some Extremophiles:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Extremophile

#82    Mk10

Mk10

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• "If they move...kill'em."

- William Holden as "Pike"
    "The Wild Bunch"

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

Let's see...what have I learned here?

1. Talking about the universe and deep space causes people to be naturally spacey. I like that about space.

2. Sometimes "However comments will be appreciated!"means <Napoleon Dynamite voice> "G-a-a-o-o-w-d!  Just S-c-h-u-u-t-t Up!" </Napoleon Dynamite voice>

and...

Sometimes when you listen to people nit-pick you, even though you might be sitting at home staring at your screen going, "Shuh! What a jerk!," you usually learn something from it that you didn't know before, and it can keep you from being nit-picked by an instructor who takes points away from your grade while they're doing so.

Good discussion on everybody's part though. <sigh> Back to explaining thermonuclear and helium shell fusion in stars of varying masses and where they wind up on their journey around an H-R diagram.

My head hurts.

After that it's on to being able to talk intelligently about Black Holes by Friday, then a three-page homwork assignment, and then a test, and then...and then...BANG!...-thump-bump...

#83    Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

• The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe the truth is the truth What then is the source of absolute truth?

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 08 June 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

The distance to the moon from Earth is about 1.282 light seconds away... Considerably less than 2 light seconds away.

Approximation , approximation!

My quote, "The truth is the truth remains the truth no matter what we believe or do not believe even in total ignorance the truth is the truth!  What is absolute Truth?  What is the source of absolute truth  What is the source of life
Let the unknown become known.
We must know what we do not know (And admit it)
Regards Alan

#84    shrooma

shrooma

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,985 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostGummug, on 08 June 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

Beyond imagination,
not beyond mine.....

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#85    kartikg

kartikg

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostAlan McDougall, on 15 June 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

The universe is not infinite it had a beginning namely the "Big Bang" and will end in a cold dark death sometime in the unimaginably distant future.

Another reason why I say it is not infinite or eternal, because in such a universe the " Arrow of Time" would be pushed back into the infinite past and we would never have come into existence, if you don't get what I mean I will explain it in my next post!

I agree!

Can you explain a bit about the inertia and distant stars please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users