Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Warning over online trolling law

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostCoffey, on 13 December 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I really don't understand how trolling can lead to either of these though. Can you give an example please? (I'm not saying I want proof, I just haven't seen an example of this before)

I agree with what you mean, but it's like prisoners having rights. It protects the innocent when falsely accused.

What if someone hacks your account and posts things, then you get arrested for it? You go to prison for someone hacking your account and threatening people?

What if you jokingly say you're going to kill someone or blow something up, but it's taken seriously?

This happened recently where a guy was arrested for saying "If my plane is delayed anymore I'm going to blow the airport up" on his twitter and he was arrested for it?! Even Steven Fry and Rowan Atkinson (I think it was him) made a thing out of it saying how absurd it was. But this is what these sort of laws will bring. The UN etc want this and they are using things like trolling, terrorism and bullying etc to get us to want it. If we want it, then thye don't need to force it and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
You don't jokingly say you are going to kill a person, if it was directed them personally then it depends on the victim receiving the abuse. Sadly is young people who troll and in bad cases teenagers have committed suicide, but that's bullying and harassment which is the next step up.

#17    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,315 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I really don't understand how trolling can lead to either of these though. Can you give an example please? (I'm not saying I want proof, I just haven't seen an example of this before)

Take look here: http://cyberbullying...erbullying.html

This site covers several examples of how this kind of thing can lead to real world consequences.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#18    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostLilly, on 13 December 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Take look here: http://cyberbullying...erbullying.html

This site covers several examples of how this kind of thing can lead to real world consequences.

You see those things seem really silly.

You can block people on facebook, you can make your profile private. Same with all social media sites.

The worst ones on there are when it mentions forums or even worse chat rooms. You can leave a chat room. LOL

It kinda feels a little like this is Darwinism, if you're too dumb to realise the above, well natures going to intervene.

I don't agree with trolling or bullying at all. I'm completely against both. But you can use laws to protect stupid people.

The only ones I see a real problem is with children and teens, but again the same stuff above applies. They can delete, block, leave and file complaints etc.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostCoffey, on 13 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

You can block people on facebook, you can make your profile private. Same with all social media sites.

The worst ones on there are when it mentions forums or even worse chat rooms. You can leave a chat room. LOL

It kinda feels a little like this is Darwinism, if you're too dumb to realise the above, well natures going to intervene.

I don't agree with trolling or bullying at all. I'm completely against both. But you can use laws to protect stupid people.

The only ones I see a real problem is with children and teens, but again the same stuff above applies. They can delete, block, leave and file complaints etc.
Remmeber sometimes they can get your number.

#20    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 13 December 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Remmeber sometimes they can get your number.

Yeah if you post it on your facebook. lol

#21    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,315 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Also, don't forget that if these people happen to live in the same community then what they're saying about you isn't exactly private. This is what I mean about there being 'real world consequences'. If people at your work, school, social interactions are reading this kind of thing and passing it on, the results can be devastating.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#22    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

You can leave a chat room or make your FB private, but you can't control what other people say about you all over theirs, or to your friends or family or boss or employees or whoever.

I work completely online. I own my own business. If someone got it in their head that they wanted to 'have fun' making up stuff about me or my business, I couldn't just ignore them or pull the plug on the internet. My livelihood and good name would disappear.  I met someone once who seemed like a nice guy. Then I found out that he randomly picked some kid on an online game to harass online "just for fun." It was like a hobby to him, and there were no repercussions. There should be.

Harassment laws, defamation, libel and slander should most definitely extend to the internet.

Embrace the impossible.

#23    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Teenager kills herself over online bullying by trolls.

http://www.opposingv...g-bullied-askfm

#24    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostPurplos, on 14 December 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Harassment laws, defamation, libel and slander should most definitely extend to the internet.

They do, that's part of my point.

You can report people for all those things.

"Trolling" gets people in trouble on the internet already, that's why there doesn't need to be anymore laws for it.

#25    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,529 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Did you know that G.C,H.Q "flag" various words and phrases,and if they come up on your p.c. or mobile/cell phone, you then become a target and probably are hacked into without you even knowing about it unless you are a p.c..geek. Haven't they just failed to get a law passed allowing them to hack into your E-mails.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#26    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostCoffey, on 13 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Amen

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#27    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Agree with Coffee 100% here.

#28    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

I agree with what you mean, but it's like prisoners having rights. It protects the innocent when falsely accused.

What if someone hacks your account and posts things, then you get arrested for it? You go to prison for someone hacking your account and threatening people?

What if you jokingly say you're going to kill someone or blow something up, but it's taken seriously?

This happened recently where a guy was arrested for saying "If my plane is delayed anymore I'm going to blow the airport up" on his twitter and he was arrested for it?! Even Steven Fry and Rowan Atkinson (I think it was him) made a thing out of it saying how absurd it was. But this is what these sort of laws will bring. The UN etc want this and they are using things like trolling, terrorism and bullying etc to get us to want it. If we want it, then thye don't need to force it and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
It is usually not a 'troll' that would go to the extreme of 'ruining' anyone's life rather it is usually someone with a grudge that the person probably knows. They are just angry cowards and the best thing is to try and ignore them from the begining.  If they personally threaten you go to the authorities. Make it public knowledge and don't respond personally to their harrassement attempts.

Edited by minera, 17 December 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#29    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 13 December 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

I totally agree.  If you wouldn't say to their face, you shouldn't type it.

Some people would say it to their face though.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#30    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

We should watch what we post to avoid becoming ourselves viewed as "trolls" and we may not see the person on the other end, never insult anyone regardless of where you are in the world. I know I have a sense of humor I want to display, but should I at the risk of getting myself in trouble and hurting the other person's feelings on the other end? I don't think so. :-/

The best way to avoid online bullying is apply the "golden rule" we follow IRL when we treat each other with manners, dignity and respect without resorting to bullyish behavior. Never make jokes directly at or about the person (wouldn't you want someone to do the same toward you) and importantly, never make threats to anyone's life, which is illegal and be dealt with seriously by law enforcement.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users