Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Texas FORMALLY requests secession

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#136    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,472 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 November 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

now, now...
Well really, you expect someone to call one a bigot and to just go :) ?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#137    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Some of the pro-secessionist Texans believe the state constitution reserve the right to secede because they felt Texas is a voluntary member of the union of the United States of America, not a "glued" on political entity for states to remain in the USA forever. Texas ought to be ready to live in itself without federal government assistance, like to maintain its' own army, transportation and economic infrastructure without outside help. Hopefully, Texas can prosper with its' petroleum reserves to generate an above-average income country and its' booming state economy continue to grow regardless of what country they belong to.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#138    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 14 November 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Some of the pro-secessionist Texans believe the state constitution reserve the right to secede because they felt Texas is a voluntary member of the union of the United States of America, not a "glued" on political entity for states to remain in the USA forever. Texas ought to be ready to live in itself without federal government assistance, like to maintain its' own army, transportation and economic infrastructure without outside help. Hopefully, Texas can prosper with its' petroleum reserves to generate an above-average income country and its' booming state economy continue to grow regardless of what country they belong to.

I tend to doubt that, petroleum, especially Texas petroleum is very finite. And in view of the eagerness of big Oil to pay taxes (in fact they get more federal subsidies than they pay taxes) they better prepare themselves for horse transportation...not for the lack of oil but for the lack of roads.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#139    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

OK I just read this entire thread, and  one idea that seems to be mentioned alot is that the people who did not vote for Obama are now whinning, crying losers.
Its all sour grapes, get over it, ect.

I realize I can't speak for everyone but I think alot of the crying(ect) is not because their guy lost, but because your guy won and because of what many, many people believe Obama is going to do to this country. (Consider the ramifications of the NDAA bill and how it was passed)

So the talk of states wanting to separate from the union, which I don't believe could ever happen, is just an example of the discontent, distrust and fear felt by tens of millions of americans towards this president and the federal government.

#140    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,441 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostOverSword, on 14 November 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

umm...spud in the USA coloured would be an offensive way to describe the president.(or anyone else)
  My apologies, but its better than what he would be called over here, I dare not say it on this sight as I would be quickly ejected.
Come on me old mucka (buddy) get your Banana Republic in order. Sorry mate more apologies but I couldnt resist that.We can always send over Queen Liz to restore order,providing you let us put her image on your postal stamps. ha ha

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#141    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

OK I just read this entire thread, and  one idea that seems to be mentioned alot is that the people who did not vote for Obama are now whinning, crying losers.

I realize I can't speak for everyone but I think alot of the crying(ect) is not because their guy lost, but because your guy won and because of what many, many people believe Obama is going to do to this country. (Consider the ramifications of the NDAA bill and how it was passed)

So the talk of states wanting to separate from the union, which I don't believe could ever happen, is just an example of the discontent, distrust and fear felt by tens of millions of americans towards this president and the federal government.

I doubt it is tens of millions, those who distrust Obama have, in their vast majority, not voted for him the first time either. At that point he had not done anything yet to make anybody distrust him (except maybe being a Democrat).

So, no it can't be that. In fact many who distrust him distrusted Romney and Akin and Mourdoch and whathaveyou much less. 'Cause Obama did not win due to his popularity.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#142    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 14 November 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

My apologies, but its better than what he would be called over here, I dare not say it on this sight as I would be quickly ejected.
Come on me old mucka (buddy) get your Banana Republic in order. Sorry mate more apologies but I couldnt resist that.We can always send over Queen Liz to restore order,providing you let us put her image on your postal stamps. ha ha

If it keeps on like it is they will be grateful for some Tories to come back :devil:

about me

#143    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

If Texas officially secedes, they need to establish new states for each corner of their huge landscape and autonomous regions for south and west Texas' large Hispanic majorities. The Texas Panhandle, Northern, Eastern, Central and two other "states" means they need a 6-star flag instead of a Lone Star. I worry parts of Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico wishing to join the new Texas republic, in fact the original republic covered parts of Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming with all of Texarkana extending to Arkansas.

And the governor becomes president, then again the first election held shows George W. Bush wins! LOL! :yes:  Expect Rick Perry switch seats to vice-president. I wonder where's fellow Texan Ross Perot in all this commotion.

Texas might not want to be partisan, try a bicameral federal government free of political party representation, like Nebraska when it was founded a state after the divisive Civil War. The new states should have semi-presidents then for reasons to boost autonomy of Texas' smaller regional governments, more on the level alike the original 13 states of the early USA.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate, 14 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#144    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,472 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

yes, but isn't that how democracy works? Inevitably one side or the other is going to be disappointed; that's exactly what happened in 2000, and I don't recall that pro-Democrat states were so appalled at the prospect of what GW Bush would do the country that they clamoured to withdraw from the union? And considering what GW Bush did do, I'm afraid that people are going to have a hard job to make all the talk of fear of what Mr. O will do to the country sound like anything more than scaremongering.

Edited by 747400, 14 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#145    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Plus a lot of the "fear" surrounding Obama seems to be mostly baseless paranoia. I mean how many threads have we had about how Obama was going to take away everyone's guns? I believe Americans are more heavily armed than ever. Yet the fear remains.

There's a lot of reasonable problems with Obama and his government but these get lost with all the "he's going to destroy the country!!!111" yelling.

Edited by Corp, 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#146    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,441 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

If it keeps on like it is they will be grateful for some Tories to come back :devil:
  Queen Liz as head of the U.K and the Commonwealth (just a few countries some of whom still have our Union flag incorported in their own flag ie :- Australia, New Zealand, etc) is completely Neutral to all politics,which perhaps is just as well these days,because if I was her I would be saying "Off with their heads".

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#147    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

You know all of you talking crap about Texas are just showing your prejudices because the last I saw half the union filed for secession so why are you singling out Texas?  Is it because half of your populations came here to work where your state had and probably still has nothing to offer?  You want to hate us, do so, at least I know where you're coming from now but I have to say, I'm really disappointed in seeing who has responded like this and others I'm not surprised...

#148    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Two issues divide the country. One, when that joker (forgot who) declared that Obamacare was going to be the law of the land (that didn't settle well with folks). And two, tax increases for wealthy and middle class. Both instances reduce the amount of, and circulation of, spendable currency within the economy. As a protest to the ever growing involvement of the Federal Govt. some states are opting to protest it by requesting to leave the union. Yes, I took note of the polarization during the election results.

McGuffin, you may not care if the entire South leaves the union, but I'm willing to bet the bank if we did, you'd retract that statement.

Posted Image

#149    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostMantis914, on 14 November 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

You know all of you talking crap about Texas are just showing your prejudices because the last I saw half the union filed for secession so why are you singling out Texas?  Is it because half of your populations came here to work where your state had and probably still has nothing to offer?  You want to hate us, do so, at least I know where you're coming from now but I have to say, I'm really disappointed in seeing who has responded like this and others I'm not surprised...

Nobody has filed for secession yet, some people have started a signature collection that does not seem to be very popular except in Texas, that is why we are a little amused about the Lone Star State (or should we say country?).

about me

#150    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 24,472 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostStardrive, on 14 November 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

Two issues divide the country. One, when that joker (forgot who) declared that Obamacare was going to be the law of the land (that didn't settle well with folks). And two, tax increases for wealthy and middle class. Both instances reduce the amount of, and circulation of, spendable currency within the economy. As a protest to the ever growing involvement of the Federal Govt. some states are opting to protest it by requesting to leave the union. Yes, I took note of the polarization during the election results.

McGuffin, you may not care if the entire South leaves the union, but I'm willing to bet the bank if we did, you'd retract that statement.
When you compare that with what the last Republican president did, though, they're still going to have a long way to go to convince many people that Obama is so uniquely dangerous that unprecedented steps may have to be taken.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users