Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Haunting in Georgia

NirmalaMaya

Tonight a friend and I watched a show on the discovery channel called "A Haunting In Georiga."

It was about a small GA family where the mother and daughter had natural powers as mediums (they were previously unaware of this power though) and had been experiencing "demonic" activity in their home for quite some time.

They hired multiple psychics and parapsychologists but nothing seemed to help so they sought help from a religious facility.

Did anyone else see this? Or does anyone have any information on the hauntings and the family?

Thanks.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IdahoGhostHunter

• shady_freak99

• Angelblue

• cattail67

I have seen this show a couple of times. I was never able to locate additional info on it. There is also a Haunting in Connecticut, also on Discovery - and it really freaked me out. In Connecticut the family moved into a former furneral home, they had a son with cancer and moved to accommodate his medical needs. Verry spooky.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I saw the show also and have forgotten the name of the man who had died that was watching over the little girl. I am trying to research this because I live in Columbus, GA and am close to Waverly Hall where this happened. I know the man lived on Hilton Ave in Columbus when he died. I was working in DC when I actually saw the show and when I got back home, my family had also seen it but could not remember the man's name. Can ya'll help? I want to find his grave. Thanks Radgal tongue.gif

tongue.gif I did find that the Wyricks still live in the same place in Ellerslie, GA and the man's name that pushed the swing was James Gordy. I will now see if I can find the tongue.gif grave and the house where these people live. Radgal grin2.gif Edited by radgal

There is also a Haunting in Connecticut, also on Discovery - and it really freaked me out. In Connecticut the family moved into a former furneral home, they had a son with cancer and moved to accommodate his medical needs.

I have yet to see this, but it sounds a lot like the book, In A Dark Place by Ed And Lorraine Warren with Carmen and Al Snedeker written by Ray Garton--anyone know if this is the same family?

They need to make a channel just for hauntings and paranormal! Well they probabaly got one but not for cable! NOT SCI FI! Thats fake I'm talking about a real station for real life things not fiction. alien.gif

They need to make a channel just for hauntings and paranormal! Well they probabaly got one but not for cable! NOT SCI FI! Thats fake I'm talking about a real station for real life things not fiction. alien.gif

I'd have to quit my job just so I could stay home and watch it all day!

i saw this show a couple years ago when it was first on. i dont remember much, but i know it was really really good.

• 4 weeks later...
They need to make a channel just for hauntings and paranormal!

Yes, that would kick ass!

There is also a Haunting in Connecticut, also on Discovery - and it really freaked me out. In Connecticut the family moved into a former furneral home, they had a son with cancer and moved to accommodate his medical needs.

I have yet to see this, but it sounds a lot like the book, In A Dark Place by Ed And Lorraine Warren with Carmen and Al Snedeker written by Ray Garton--anyone know if this is the same family?

256409[/snapback]

Yes, it is the same family. I found some info on this haunting at http://www.tangledforest.com/tangledf/parkersnedx.html

I can't wait to watch this one again!

thank you thank you thank you--that is the scariest book ive ever read, and i can't wait to see it--i have my vcr set and ready to go!

thank you thank you thank you--that is the scariest book ive ever read, and i can't wait to see it--i have my vcr set and ready to go!

295570[/snapback]

[/quote

Your welcome! And now that I know that there is a book I'd like to get it. No luck on Amazon by "In A Dark Place" and the Warren's website is having bandwidth issues.

Just to let you know, the book "In a Dark Place" is now out of print so you have to go digging for a copy. I tried ordering the book and even emailed someone who works for the Warren's and they told me its out of print.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I saw the show also and have forgotten the name of the man who had died that was watching over the little girl. I am trying to research this because I live in Columbus, GA and am close to Waverly Hall where this happened. I know the man lived on Hilton Ave in Columbus when he died.  I was working in DC when I actually saw the show and when I got back home, my family had also seen it but could not remember the man's name.  Can ya'll help? I want to find his grave. Thanks  Radgal tongue.gif

251278[/snapback]

The Mans' name was James S. Gordy I believe, although i might have his first name wrong, i'm positive about the S. Gordy part. I love in Columbus too, my husband and i are trying to start a local ghost hunting group at www.meetup.com/314/ you should check it out. We're trying to find some local Columbus Hauntings (besides the springer, everyone knows about the Springer Opera house ghost).

ciao

hannah aka Faygrrl

I read that James Gordy is buried in Park Hill cemetery here in Columbus, GA, but haven't had a chance to check this out. The Wyrick home is only 14 miles from me, so I'm thinking of trick-or-treating there tonight (LOL!)

I've seen the show last night and Im wondering if that poor girl is still hunted by ghosts?

other than that, the show was pretty funy, thanks to the psychics. anyway I think she can get helped for real if she finds the right person.

I have seen this show a couple of times. I was never able to locate additional info on it. There is also a Haunting in Connecticut, also on Discovery - and it really freaked me out. In Connecticut the family moved into a former furneral home, they had a son with cancer and moved to accommodate his medical needs. Verry spooky.

217247[/snapback]

Hi, His name was "James Gordy". Hope this helps.

I just found out the "Gordy" story is a segment on an Unsolved Mysteries episode...its in the new DVD set, Unsolved Mysteries Ghosts thumbsup.gif

Hi all! I also saw the program on the Discovery channel. I was truly fascinated by it. I have also been searching for the book "In a dark place". It is the family that was on the Discovery program. They changed their name to Parker on the show. It is actually Snedeker. If anyone has a copy of the book that they would like to sell, please e-mail me. I am very interested!

Thanks a Million! rolleyes.gif

Edited by n2ponies2

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all! I also saw the program on the Discovery channel. I was truly fascinated by it. I have also been searching for the book "In a dark place". It is the family that was on the Discovery program. They changed their name to Parker on the show. It is actually Snedeker. If anyone has a copy of the book that they would like to sell, please e-mail me. I am very interested!

Thanks a Million! rolleyes.gif

345796[/snapback]

I saw this show today and thought it was very good - although it was more like a TV movie than a documentary

BB

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone! During [attachmentid=10012]this show, A Haunting in Georgia, the mother is looking at some documents that show James Gordy's wife's name as Frances E. Gordy. It is also mentioned that he died in 1974. A quick check of the Social Security Death Index shows that a James Gordy died in Georgia in 1974 and his wife Frances died ten years later. He is real all right, and it is a very interesting story.

post-13224-1104116123.jpg

They also have a Haunting in Conneticut episode running on Discovery as well. I must say, though, it's the most melodramatic, over the top thing I've ever seen. Plus, they use the Amnityville hauntings to establish "credentials" for the paranormal investigators. Unless I am mistaken, that has been pretty much unanimously exposed a fraud. Doesn't lend much credit to these ghost hunters.