Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Viruses Might Be Actual Living Creatures

viruses living creatures organism genome humans

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I had this argument with my Biology teacher in 1984. It's alive because it reproduces and reacts to external stimuli . just because it doesn't have the qualities of other organisms such as bacteria doesn't mean we have the right to say it's not a living thing. And I'll e-slap anyone who says fire qualifies as living as it consumes oxygen, reproduces and reacts to external stimuli. Teacher said that and I almost slapped him!

Edited by Chooky88, 19 March 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#17    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,244 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Post.Betta, on 19 March 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Of course viruses are living things lol
They are concdiered to be neither living nor dead

#18    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 16 March 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Research published last week in Nature appears to add another point to the controversial argument that viruses might be living creatures.

Can they be reasoned with?
Call for truce and offer a bribe?

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#19    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostChooky88, on 19 March 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I had this argument with my Biology teacher in 1984. It's alive because it reproduces and reacts to external stimuli . just because it doesn't have the qualities of other organisms such as bacteria doesn't mean we have the right to say it's not a living thing. And I'll e-slap anyone who says fire qualifies as living as it consumes oxygen, reproduces and reacts to external stimuli. Teacher said that and I almost slapped him!

When I was five years old, I was convinced that fire was alive.  Two houses in my neighborhood burned down, and I just knew that it was after me next.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#20    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,675 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

they are uncomfortable calling 'virus' "Living Creatures" because that would make "Viruses" Immortal

they feel more comfort with viruses not living so viruses not dying doesn't matter

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,341 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 19 March 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

They are concdiered to be neither living nor dead
Undead?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Of course they are. To suggest they're not is as ludicrous as scientists claiming animals have no emotions or personalities like we do.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#23    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Living or not, to be or not to be? Many parisites are simple compared with their free-living relatives. Worms that live in the gut may not posess a digestive system, absorbing nutrients by osmosis as it were. While similar species that live in water or soil have a fully functional digestive system. So the question my be: are viruses degenerate organisms reduced to such a simple state that the require a living cell to reproduce? Perhaps they were once more complex, akin to bacteria or other simple life, but over time only parasitic forms survived. These are very complex little bundles of DNA and it begs the questions could they even have existed before cellular organisms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users