Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cirque du Soleil acrobat dies in fall

BiffSplitkins

LAS VEGAS -- A Paris-born performer in Cirque du Soleil's "Ka" died after a fall during a show in Las Vegas.

Sarah Guyard-Guillot was pronounced dead late Saturday night at a hospital after falling about 50 feet from the show's stage.

Witnesses told the Las Vegas Sun that the accident occurred near the end of the production Saturday night at the MGM Grand.

Visitor Dan Mosqueda of Colorado Springs, Colo., said the 31-year-old acrobatic performer was being hoisted up the side of the stage when it appeared that she slipped free of her safety wire and plummeted to an open pit below the stage.

"Initially, a lot of people in the audience thought it was part of the (show)," he told the Sun. "But you could hear screaming, then groaning, and we could hear a female artist crying from the stage."

READ MORE

What a terrible way to go.

oh wow thats horrible

i wish robin could have took her place! sorry i had to pun now im going to hell!

nice post third

thanks ... and appreciated

I am a big fan of Cirque du Soleil's from way back ... I'm guttered

`

Edited by third_eye

thanks ... and appreciated

I am a big fan of Cirque du Soleil's from way back ... I'm guttered

`

indeed one of the saddest stories ive seen on UM in a while

indeed one of the saddest stories ive seen on UM in a while

its a high profile act and it does comes with its own sets of dangers ... comes with the territory I guess ... what bugs me is that these performers are so talented and does it so effortlessly that many thinks its a walk in the park and a piece of cake ... they have no idea ... I've never understood the need for the danger element of no 'safety nets' ... granted that it does makes the stage design a bit difficult to assimilate but then it should not be a problem given the level of craftsmanship available today ... I guess the 'audience' expects that level of 'danger' to feel entertained enough to pay ... sickening is what it is ...

`

its a high profile act and it does comes with its own sets of dangers ... comes with the territory I guess ... what bugs me is that these performers are so talented and does it so effortlessly that many thinks its a walk in the park and a piece of cake ... they have no idea ... I've never understood the need for the danger element of no 'safety nets' ... granted that it does makes the stage design a bit difficult to assimilate but then it should not be a problem given the level of craftsmanship available today ... I guess the 'audience' expects that level of 'danger' to feel entertained enough to pay ... sickening is what it is ...

`

we are a violent and bile species at times, gladiators, boxing etc we need blood to be entertained, maybe we are all vampires in a sense that we seek excitment in pain

and a blood lust

we are a violent and bile species at times, gladiators, boxing etc we need blood to be entertained, maybe we are all vampires in a sense that we seek excitment in pain

and a blood lust

it is a culture thing ... the fact is it has become a status thing for the rich and wealthy .. they don't really want or understand to experience the shows ... they just want the bragging rights to say they've been to a show ... while the real fans probably can't afford the tickets ...

they're worse than vampires ... they're just the worse of humans ... and all too real ...

`

Oh gosh that is just awful, with two kids too :(

Do they not have safety nets? I've never been to this type of show but always assumed there were safety nets :(

it is a culture thing ... the fact is it has become a status thing for the rich and wealthy .. they don't really want or understand to experience the shows ... they just want the bragging rights to say they've been to a show ... while the real fans probably can't afford the tickets ...

they're worse than vampires ... they're just the worse of humans ... and all too real ...

`

and its sad that some if not most of these people go to shows like this and racing to witness an accident

and its sad that some if not most of these people go to shows like this and racing to witness an accident

it is a choice ... and each his / her own in the end ...

`

it is a choice ... and each his / her own in the end ...

`

its grotesque though

its grotesque though

Yes it is ... but many livelihood depends on such inclinations ...

~

i guess things classed in blood sport would hurt the economy if they ceased to be as well as any dangerous form of entertainement its funny how both beautiful things and grotesque things need to function so the world turns, i love the irony in life

i guess things classed in blood sport would hurt the economy if they ceased to be as well as any dangerous form of entertainement its funny how both beautiful things and grotesque things need to function so the world turns, i love the irony in life

It is just the state of what has become ... until it becomes something else ...

421326_10152875503720475_1997955926_n.jpg

let's hope someday in the future things are as clear as it is to focus on ...

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

It is just the state of what has become ... until it becomes something else ...

421326_10152875503720475_1997955926_n.jpg

let's hope someday in the future things are as clear as it is to focus on ...

~

the secret to change is to focus,not fighting old, but building the new-socrates

short quote from the original just putting a point

• Like 2

Cirque du Soleil is not, nor has it ever been, a blood sport. I also need to say most people do not attend the show hoping to see a fall or a disaster.

Cirque shows are breathtaking. The storytelling, the costumes, the colors and the dancers are so beautiful on so many levels. They are meant to transport the audience to a wonderful never-ever land. To leave them enthralled and entranced. Sitting on the edge of their seat, staring in disbelief and wonder. Cirque du Soleil takes each audience member on a journey, and I dare say, a journey they never expected and won't soon forget.

Cirque has been in existence for 30 years. In that time one performer, Oleksandr Zhurov, who was training on a trampoline in 2009 fell and died due to head injuries. And the sad accident and tragedy of Sarah Guyard-Guillot on June 29, 2013.

It is very sad because it doesn't really appear to have been a mistake on her own part, if indeed the accident was due to her safety wire failing in some way. Anyway, very sad. Dangerous occupation, but still.