Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 July 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Kids dont have biased minds because they dont have any issues yet.

They can see through the atheist parents and notice the negative impacts of being one on psychology.
And these negative impacts would be...?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#47    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 14 July 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

And these negative impacts would be...?

Being left behind after the 'rapture' can have a negative psychological effect! ;)

Seriously though, I find it completely mystifying when so many religions rely on threats, guilt and general negativity to keep their 'flocks' on the straight and narrow that any religious person would dare to call atheism negative?

Shall we talk about 'original sin'?

#48    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Shall we talk about 'original sin'?

Or even better, let's look at this:
"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."
Good ole' Timothy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#49    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 14 July 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

Or even better, let's look at this:
"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."
Good ole' Timothy.

Timothy needed a slap  lol  He was most likely one who feared women and never got a word in edge ways  :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 July 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#50    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,737 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 14 July 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

I'm a member of a group that splintered off a group centered around atheist and secular parents where the intent is to help raise atheist or secular children.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's only recently that someone could both be an open atheist and have a community to be in and have help raising your kids. If trends continue, it'll be interesting to see where it might stabilize.

If I may ask...what does that entail exactly?

I mean, if a child is raised to be religious the parents are accused of indoctrinating their children. Isn't that a different form of indoctrination?

#51    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostMichelle, on 14 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

If I may ask...what does that entail exactly?

I mean, if a child is raised to be religious the parents are accused of indoctrinating their children. Isn't that a different form of indoctrination?
Generally speaking, how to properly introduce children to the variety of religions in such a way that doesn't induce bias or preference, so as they get older they can come to their own conclusions about religions with a good background.
It's supported through the Unitarian Universalist church in Cantonement, which includes atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, Mulsims, Pagans, and a few other religious groups I can't remember as part of their membership.
As well as to provide a support group for new parents. Most people tend to get this throughtheir churches or similar, there's really not a similar community set up yet for atheist families.
Which might be part of the reason, if this study is valid, behind the low retention rate.
Or it might not.
(I thought there was a shrug emoticon? No? Oh well.)

I also want to note, not having kids myself and the fact that my sister would refuse to let me see my nieces if I took them to one of these things, I only know about these second hand. Either from the person who runs most of the group or the announcements for it that come into my email/group notices as part of the over all newletter.

Edited by ShadowSot, 14 July 2012 - 09:05 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#52    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostWhatsinausername, on 14 July 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

Doh this is going to be another stupid thread, athiests trolling and antagonizing christians, christians biting back, and so on and so forth...

Despite being a christian, I dont think the article holds much weight, it doesnt make me jump for joy. Its just a survey.

It is important to think for yourself, I believe its a God given gift we were given. I dont believe God wants us to be puppets.
but wat about dinosaurs?!!?!? do u believe in dinosaurs!?!?!? evolution?!?! i bet yur gonna say no ^_^

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#53    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Dear God,

I pray that this post will have 10 likes. It must happen within one week or else you're not real.

Sincerely,

me

P.S. i noe this wont work lol but w/e prove me wrong UM members ^_^

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#54    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Postcsspwns, on 15 July 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Dear God,

I pray that this post will have 10 likes. It must happen within one week or else you're not real.

Sincerely,

me

P.S. i noe this wont work lol but w/e prove me wrong UM members ^_^

It won't work because God doesn't understand text speak... and neither do I

#55    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 July 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

It won't work because God doesn't understand text speak... and neither do I
uhh ok. this wasnt meant to be taken seriously btw :no:

#56    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 22 July 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

uhh ok. this wasnt meant to be taken seriously btw :no:

I didn't take it seriously..I never take text speak seriously  lol....Just kidding.. I knew you were only playing, with the post you made praying to God :P   But on a serious note.. I never like to read or use text speak..I am just odd like that.!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 July 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#57    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,339 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 July 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Well this is true for the atheists I have met.. They all say - they want their kids to chose later in life...But that is only the ones I have spoken to...that doesn't mean other atheists would not raise their kids to be atheist  lol

That is exactly right, we want our children to be free to make their own choices without the burden of parents barring down on them with their way of life.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#58    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

im sure if there is a god he could give a rats ass on who believes he is real or not.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#59    Bluefinger

Bluefinger

I am a Christian, and I understand many don't like that. .

• 4,822 posts

• "You'll know them by their fruits."

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 12 July 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Athiests dont raise their children to be athiests. They raise them to think for themselves, unlike many of the religions listed in the OP.

Let the finger pointing and name calling begin.  Or not.  Preferably not.

It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it well.     - Descartes

#60    runekazter

runekazter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

if someone raises a child to think for him/her self does that mean they pretty much don't require parenting? Children are very aware of the thoughts and beliefs of their parents. It will affect them in one way or another. I think it's great that so many that are raised atheist and grow up and become more aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users