Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prisoner or Castaway?

Ozner

Choose one  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Prisoner or Castaway?

• Prisoner
    • Castaway

Hypothetical situation: which would you rather choose?

1. You have been arrested for something, and have been sentenced to life in prison. You will have to survive the rough world of prison life, but you will be able to make new friends and allies as time goes on. You will have to do some work sometimes, but overall your food, other supplies, and entertainment will be provided for you. There is only a very small chance of escaping or getting out legally.

2. You were in a small plane that crashed in the ocean and you are the only survivor. You will have to survive by yourself on a deserted tropical island. You will live in solitude but you will also have no enemies or anyone controlling you. The island has enough food to survive but you will have to get what you need for yourself. There is only a very small chance of being rescued or escaping successfully.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eldorado

• HansBolman

• Ozner

• Soul Kitchen

Being a castaway would very soon become worse than solitary confinement in a prison, imo.

The self-dentistry would be exciting though... lol.

Edited by Eldorado

As long as I don't have to talk to a frickin soccer ball, I'll chill on an Island before prison.

Ummm, I choose option 1, wait ... did I already do that? I'm having deja vu ...

Option 2 - The island life. I'd hate it in prison. And I'd end up hating everyone else, then they'd kill me. No, I'll tough it out on the island like our hunter-gatherer ancestors, no worries.

A tropical paradise.. = malaria, giant spiders etc, no coffee, no chocolate. no pain-killers or any other meds... and most significantly, imo... no contact with other people.

May sound idyllic but no contact with your fellow humans for a very long period = schizo.

As for prison... seeing as you're already doing a lifer... stab the top dog to death on your first day and no one will bother you in showers.

Edited by Eldorado

I chose castaway because while island life alone would probably be rougher in the long run, I'd rather be alone and without a cage than in bad company. Overall though I think it is a difficult question for many people. Also, I just realized that this is basically "choose your Tom Hanks movie." :rofl:

Green Mile

tom_hanks_michael_clarke_duncan_the_green_mile_001.jpg

Castaway

castaway.jpg

Edited by Ozner

1. You have been arrested for something, and have been sentenced to life in prison. You will have to survive the rough world of prison life, but you will be able to make new friends and allies as time goes on. You will have to do some work sometimes, but overall your food, other supplies, and entertainment will be provided for you. There is only a very small chance of escaping or getting out legally.

Or be someone elses entertainment.

Never prison, The island would certinly have its set of challenges however life on this earth was not all pillowtop kings and dvrs so i would find the inner beast in me, Be able to eat squrms build a fortress and learn to adapt and im a solitary man anyway so thats an added bonus for me. most People irratate me.. Prison life is not even a choice its hell.

Never prison, The island would certinly have its set of challenges however life on this earth was not all pillowtop kings and dvrs so i would find the inner beast in me, Be able to eat squrms build a fortress and learn to adapt and im a solitary man anyway so thats an added bonus for me. most People irratate me.. Prison life is not even a choice its hell.

Now, you've hit on something there....

What kind of prison we talking about? In Europe a lot of the prisons are like being grounded in your room..... you're pampered.

Hypothetical situation: which would you rather choose?

2. You were in a small plane that crashed in the ocean and you are the only survivor. You will have to survive by yourself on a deserted tropical island. You will live in solitude but you will also have no enemies or anyone controlling you. The island has enough food to survive but you will have to get what you need for yourself. There is only a very small chance of being rescued or escaping successfully.

I'm suprised so many people vote 'castaway'. I don't think they understand how maddening isolation is for such social creatures as human beings.

There's a reason why Solitary Confinement is one of the worst things in prison.

And it's also said that even entertainment will be provided for you. What's so bad about that?

And life in prison has closure. For you and outside loved ones.

I chose castaway because while island life alone would probably be rougher in the long run, I'd rather be alone and without a cage than in bad company. Overall though I think it is a difficult question for many people. Also, I just realized that this is basically "choose your Tom Hanks movie." :rofl:

Green Mile

tom_hanks_michael_clarke_duncan_the_green_mile_001.jpg

Castaway

castaway.jpg

lol, but Tom Hanks wasn't a prisoner. And their prisoners had DEATH sentences, not life sentences. Big difference, philosophically.

I'm suprised so many people vote 'castaway'. I don't think they understand how maddening isolation is for such social creatures as human beings.

There's a reason why Solitary Confinement is one of the worst things in prison.

And it's also said that even entertainment will be provided for you. What's so bad about that?

And life in prison has closure. For you and outside loved ones.

Isolation can be maddening, but have you ever heard the phrase "hell is other people?" Being alone can have its advantages. It depends on what kind of person you are though, which is why I like this question.

lol, but Tom Hanks wasn't a prisoner. And their prisoners had DEATH sentences, not life sentences. Big difference, philosophically.

There's still a Tom Hanks connection regardless ;)

Id actually quite like to be stranded on a desert island sometimes, cant say i've ever fancied a bit of butt-rape.

Id actually quite like to be stranded on a desert island sometimes, cant say i've ever fancied a bit of butt-rape.

Everyone that has done prison time has also been raped? Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Good question but there is not much of a choice to make. Locked inside with hundreds of burly criminals or on an island with the prospect of finding native ladies. Ooh it's a tough one :rolleyes:

Isolation can be maddening, but have you ever heard the phrase "hell is other people?" Being alone can have its advantages. It depends on what kind of person you are though, which is why I like this question.

There's still a Tom Hanks connection regardless ;)

Whoever says that phrase takes people for granted. Think about it...

People in prison PREFER to be around the other prisoners than be in solitary confinement. Even with the risk of... abuse.

You may get 'abused', it's a possibility, but you can still make acquaintances and get taken care of, given the means to live and possibly find some small degree of happiness.

I mean, look at Tom Hanks when he was a castaway.

He befriended a freaking volleyball. He painted a face on it, and grieved it's death.

Would you rather be friends with a felon, or a volleyball?