Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reid to defy Bush on foreclosure rescue plan

questionmark

Sen. Reid to defy Bush on foreclosure rescue plan

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30pm EST

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Wednesday he planned to defy a threatened White House veto and try to win passage of a bill to curb rising home foreclosures by changing bankruptcy law.

"I have no expectation of reaching any agreement with the White House," said Reid a day after the administration warned the bill would need changes to get President George W. Bush's signature.

"I have tried for seven years" to reach agreements with Bush on a variety of issues, but have repeatedly failed, said Reid, a Nevada Democrat, at a news conference.

"So we are going to do what we think is best for the country," Reid said. "If we get 67 votes (in the 100-member Senate to override a possible Bush veto), that's great."

The Senate could turn to the housing bill in the next few days, but it must first overcome a possible Republican procedural hurdle that would take 60 votes to clear.

"I think we are going to get more than 60 votes," said Reid, whose fellow Democrats control the Senate, 51-49.

The White House on Tuesday threatened to veto the bill, which is the latest congressional response to the subprime mortgage crisis that threatens to tip the economy into recession and push many Americans out of their homes.

The measure would let bankruptcy judges erase some mortgage debt and provide billions of dollars to rehabilitate abandoned properties. The White House said the bill was too costly and an unacceptable bailout for lenders and speculators.

Full story, source: Reuters

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic