Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

London Underground Subterraneans

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    WraithGod

WraithGod

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• "There have been tens of thousands of sightings and experiences... if only one is true the entire case, the non-reality, falls apart."

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

Abandoned man-made anything tends to freak me out, subway stations would be terrible seeing as they're underground.  I have a few beefs with the story though.

1. Creatures that have adapted for underground life tends to be hairless or nearly so.  It just wouldn't make sense for them to grow more hair.
2. Vitamin D deficiencies would weaken and kill the population quickly unless they found some way to get milk.  I really don't see how the population could have sustained itself off of what lives/grows down there.  Even a cultivated moss or lichen wouldn't hold all the nutrition needed.

And no, it's not plausible that they only come out at night and rob marketplaces. tongue.gif

"'But the Devil, when he purports any evil against man, first perverts
his mind.''
Posted Image
"Whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad."

#32    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

This reminds me of the People Under the Stairs, for some reason.

Nothing to see here.

#33    ~Onyx~

~Onyx~

The Wisest of Asses

• 7,141 posts

• They gave me life, I gave 'em hell.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

I hear the words "London Underground" and immediately think of The Clash. I'm a child of the 80's, sue me.

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be unconfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

#34    saturn9876

saturn9876

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

People do live underground in the cities of the world....there called bums. The ones in NY where I grew up come up for food, liquor, etc. They don't hunch over they just smell bad and stumble a lot.

#35    makaya325

makaya325

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,716 posts

• uncle phil: geoffrey, fetch me my tools

geoffrey: you mean your knife and fork, sir?

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

how do we test the belief that their r underground subterraneans?

#36    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Spambot strikes again!

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#37    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,176 posts

• Question everything

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Three pages and no one mentioned "C.H.U.D." outright yet ? *Tsk* (besides otterclaw's link)

That said, the "London's Lost Cities" episode of "Cities of the Underworld" from the History channel may be relevant to the discussion.

A city as old and large as London is, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few things that aren't on the plans anymore. An new evolutionary sub-type developing there though, not so likely. The whole thing sounds too Lamarckian for one.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#38    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostHAJiME, on 09 September 2008 - 08:58 PM, said:

People living in The Underground is stupid.

Aprt from when they did it during the Blitz, of course.

#39    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

A colony of people living underground? Nah. There would be little sunlight, which is not healthy. Not to mention how would they get sufficient water and food to survive and breed? Growing things can't be done because crops need sunlight and water. Animals would be hard to raise as they need food, water, and general care in order to survive. For one person it's hard enough. Add fifty people to that equation and you got a problem. And (I'm a little ignorant on the subject so I could be wrong) how do people living in these conditions evolve into another sub-species of humans? In this amount of time?

I can see a couple of homeless people maybe living in it for a period of time, though.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#40    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,442 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

A forumite wrote a book called "Eerie Britain" that touches upon this.
It's a good solid work, little speculation as to "what" and more the facts/legends leaving you to make your own decision.

#41    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

Haha, I absolutely love this topic. It's all nonsense, of course, but it's the kind of nonsense you can really learn to love. Like the alligators in the sewers of New York, wonderful local folklore. A good starting point for this (if you haven't read Nick Redfern's book Keep Out!) is an old Fortean Times article I spent a great deal of time trying to dig up a while ago. It's totally gone from their current site, but I managed to dig up a copy of it via the Wayback Machine.

Now, here's the more macabre part, that might have inspired Death Line. In an interview with the aforementioned author of Keep Out, a former London police officer by the name of Frank Wiley claims to have investigated a series of bizarre murders in the Underground. Now, of course, I've been able to find approximately no evidence to corroborate his story, but hey, it's an urban legend of the purest sort. Wiley said that between 1967 and 1969, seven bodies were found horribly mutilated deep within the tunnels. Now, that of course says one thing: suicide. But no, these bodies were mauled in more ways than a subway train could account for. Throats were torn open, guts ripped out, and limbs removed (possibly gnawed off). Even better, in 1968 a pair of workmen in a section of tunnel on the Bakerloo Line supposedly saw a wild-eyed, hairy man in the tunnels, wearing filthy rags. One of the workers stepped up and challenged the creature with a large wrench, at which point it fled. The two men, of course, took off in the opposite direction. To put an even stranger twist on things, the orders to cover up the investigation supposedly came down directly from the Home Office.

As for ancient tunnels? Well, London is honeycombed with ruins, that much is true. During the construction of the Underground, several mass graves full of plague victims were accidentally discovered. Several Roman ruins have also been found, albeit no tunnels. London was of course sacked several times, both by Boudica's Iceni and the Saxons, not to mention plagues, fires and other assorted disasters. So any tunnels that might have existed are probably long gone, unfortunately. And even if a group of ancient people fled underground at some point, the Romans, Saxons and Iceni were relatively sophisticated civilizations, unlikely to either stay underground for long, or devolve into cannibals.

Edited by Ravinoff, 28 February 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#42    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Whoa. Necro-thread.

#43    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostRavinoff, on 28 February 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

As for ancient tunnels? Well, London is honeycombed with ruins, that much is true. During the construction of the Underground, several mass graves full of plague victims were accidentally discovered. Several Roman ruins have also been found, albeit no tunnels. London was of course sacked several times, both by Boudica's Iceni and the Saxons, not to mention plagues, fires and other assorted disasters. So any tunnels that might have existed are probably long gone, unfortunately. And even if a group of ancient people fled underground at some point, the Romans, Saxons and Iceni were relatively sophisticated civilizations, unlikely to either stay underground for long, or devolve into cannibals.

I don't think the Anglo-Saxons ever sacked London.

Boudicca - the Queen of the Iceni tribe which lived in what is now Norfolk - sacked the Roman city of Londinium in the year 60 (Londinium was founded by the Romans just 17 years previously) - but, then, the Romans did murder her husband Prasutagus and rape her two daughters Heanua and Lannosea, so you can't blame the tall red-head for being a little bit angry.  Londinium was abandoned to Boudicca's army, who completely burnt and demolished the city to the ground.  The few Londoners who did not flee the city were slaughtered.  Bouddica's army impaled Roman women on spikes, cut off their breasts and sewed them into their mouths to, accoring to Tacitus, "the accompaniment of sacrifices, banquets, and wanton behaviour" in sacred places, particularly the groves of Andraste.

Even to this day, just a few feet below the surface in the area of London where Londinium was (it occupied an area only the size of Hyde Park and was situated in what is now central London from where the Tower of London is now in Tower Hamlets a mile west to Ludgate in the City of London, where St Paul's Cathedral is) there is a thick layer of red ash -the evidence of the burning -  and debris such as coins and pottery.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#44    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,408 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 27 February 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Aprt from when they did it during the Blitz, of course.

Well, no - they slept underground, in the tube stations - different thing to living underground.

Interesting(ish) fact - Jerry Springer was born on the platform of Highgate tube station during the blitz.

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 28 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

I don't think the Anglo-Saxons ever sacked London.

No - think they arrived after London had been abandoned by the Romans.

View PostMisstreeDove, on 27 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I can see a couple of homeless people maybe living in it for a period of time, though.

Not in London as there simply isn't the room (unless you go to the Thames-side sewer outlets, but they flood periodically). Its happened in New York tho - check out the documentary Dark Days.

Edited by Emma_Acid, 28 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#45    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Interesting(ish) fact - Jerry Springer was born on the platform of Highgate tube station during the blitz

Yeah.  Jerry Springer is English-born.

His parents were German Jews who escaped from Germany (although the area is now in Poland) to Britain to escape the Nazis.  He grew up at Chandos Road in East Finchley but emigrated to New York in 1949 with his parents when he was five.  His maternal grandmother Marie Kallmann, who was left behind, died in the gas trucks of Chelmno extermination camp. His paternal grandmother, Selma Springer, died at the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 28 February 2013 - 12:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users