Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The End Of The World Has Begun

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,912 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostSundew, on 25 July 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period. I tend to believe that these things go in cycles and that much of global warming is about transferring wealth through taxation from one country to another (or the oligarchy thereof), but I am sure many would disagree.

I think you are right about how it got its name, I heard another version of its 'naming' as a youngster. That version claimed it was so desolate it was named Greenland in order to trick people into settling there...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#17    DeathRain2012

DeathRain2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

• There's some **** out there bro.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I heard the name came about because the pioneers were trying to fool people. They named the pleasant paradise iceland, and the icy snow-hole greenland to get folks mixed up.

#18    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

View Postjesspy, on 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Ok Ok what is whack. When is something in whack?

Whack

Idiom
9. out of whack, Informal . out of order or alignment; not in proper condition

#19    DeathRain2012

DeathRain2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

• There's some **** out there bro.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Well it looks like you already said that chubb lol but good point on the transfer of wealth through blinding topics...

#20    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,812 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

...If the ice was already floating on the sea then it will not add to sea - level rise (such as the calving of the huge iceberg). This appears to be something different, lets just hope that it does not become an annual event - if it did, then some Island Nations are simply going to disappear.

#21    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postunit, on 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

not bothered in the slightest..

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc, you were a tree hugger, or a hippy... you know what i mean?

so here we are some 20+ years later.. now the system says it's real? says it wants to introduce all the carbon tax **** to offset it... meanwhile their depleted uranium continues to fall in the middle east..

...incase you haven't worked it out yet.. it's all bull**** ;)

Seems to me that if the planet were truly in danger they would have found a way to make the "Green" Tech affordable.
I find it odd that everyone needs to do so much to fix the problem yet the fixing equates into the common folk giving up a lot of their cash.
Spend $40k+ on that cute little Chevy Volt, just ignore the Chevy Camaro convertible sitting next to it on the lot for $38k.
As if.

Maybe i will hinge my worry meter on the Dept of Energy.
They were created back in 1977 to reduce our dependance on foreign oil and fossil fuels.  How have they been doing for the past 35 years?
When they do their part, i will worry about doing mine.
LONG LIVE THE INCANDESCENT BULB!!!!!

#22    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,477 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostSundew, on 25 July 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period.

Nope. It was named Greenland in an effort to get fellow Scandinavian settlers to move there.

View PostParacelse, on 25 July 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Truth is more important, the tax has been created to enrich few people at the expenses of the working class.  In fact dendrochronology proved that earth is cooling.  This is why Roman soldiers went in battle in tuttus and Celts were fighting naked.   The precession of equinox will make weather changes but it's not and will never be man made, unless of course some idiots pushes the red forbidden button and creates a nuclear winter.. but then it wouldn't be a warming but a global freezing. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Firstly, I didn't say that the earth was heating up. That's irrelevant. I'm saying that our effect on the planet is irreversible, and we will make it drastically less inhabitable if we carry on thinking exponential growth can continue indefinitely (it can't). Simply not wanting to pay tax and saying its some upper class conspiracy is selfish and naive.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#23    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 25 July 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Firstly, I didn't say that the earth was heating up. That's irrelevant. I'm saying that our effect on the planet is irreversible, and we will make it drastically less inhabitable if we carry on thinking exponential growth can continue indefinitely (it can't). Simply not wanting to pay tax and saying its some upper class conspiracy is selfish and naive.
Could you esssplain to me why various governments are pushing those clunkers called hybrids when their carbon foot print on a period of 10 years is larger than that of a Hummer H2?
Read more here and this is the interesting part.

Okay, so with almost three times as much greenhouse gas emissions each year, the HUMMER H2 is the clear loser, right? Well, if you are only interested in emissions, then yes, the Prius obviously is a far superior choice. However, recent rumors have indicated that the HUMMER H2 may actually be more environmentally friendly when EVERYTHING is taken into account, from concept to disposal.
CNW Marketing Research, Inc. is a forecasting firm that has taken it upon themselves to estimate and report the approximate energy cost of vehicle models from concept to disposal. The number is calculated based on all amounts of energy that are required to produce, assemble, sell, operate, maintain and dispose of the vehicle over its entire life cycle.
Taking all these factors into account, one might conclude that a vehicle that is more energy efficient on the road actually produces more emissions due to higher energy requirements to build and dispose of the vehicle. At first glance the report indicates exactly that by announcing that the Toyota Prius results in $3.25 of energy costs per mile over the lifetime of the vehicle. In contrast, the HUMMER H2 purportedly operates with $3.03 energy costs per mile. How can this be?

Calling me selfish would be drastic although I tend to be egotistical and elitist, but naive ... oh dear, everything but.

Edited by Paracelse, 25 July 2012 - 05:59 PM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#24    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 25 July 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Spend $40k+ on that cute little Chevy Volt, just ignore the Chevy Camaro convertible sitting next to it on the lot for $38k.
As if.

We all know the real problem here is that you're buying a Chevy in the first place :D :D :D

LONG LIVE THE INCANDESCENT BULB!!!!!

I'm very glad I wasn't drinking milk at this moment, because it would have come out my nose.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#25    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Welp... I expect floods soonish.

#26    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,627 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 25 July 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I think you are right about how it got its name, I heard another version of its 'naming' as a youngster. That version claimed it was so desolate it was named Greenland in order to trick people into settling there...
This is my memory of the naming as well.  Even as a kid I thought it seemed a little unfair to the settlers   :unsure2:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#27    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,627 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostLookitisoneofthosepeople, on 25 July 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Flooding of coastlines would be catastrophic but not the end of the world.

We have had coastlines change throughout history. Nothing new.

The one thing that will stop anyone from adapting is fear but even if no flooding happened just fearing would erode the quality of our present lives.

Even if flooding does happen we will adapt as we always have.

Carry on. I feel fine.
I live about ten miles from the gulf of mexico and about 20 feet above sea level.  If it works out just right I could have a nice beach out my front door  :w00t:  Of course I would then have to worry about water as well as wind when the hurricanes come a blowin'

Edited by and then, 25 July 2012 - 10:22 PM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#28    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

if the oceans start rising too high.... just start pulling the biggest ships out.. the water they displace will compensate for the rises.

#29    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• 1,950 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostParacelse, on 25 July 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

And the worse part, before running out of it, you weren't sharing.............. shame :innocent:

Funny how I ran out all of the sudden and you sitting there looking (all so) innocent whistling dixie, Paracelse. But thank the chocolate gods I had some forgotten hidden reserves stored away. I think you're trying to bring about the Chocolate Apocalypse. *angels sing deep baritone in the background* So I got my one pyramidal eye on you my friend. Make no mistake.

View Postand then, on 25 July 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

I live about ten miles from the gulf of mexico and about 20 feet above sea level.  If it works out just right I could have a nice beach out my front door  :w00t:  Of course I would then have to worry about water as well as wind when the hurricanes come a blowin'

You hinting at the possiblity of future ocean front property? I've got some of that future ocean front property myself in Arizona, just can't seem to convince anybody yet to buy it. Maybe if I put a large ditch, full of water, around it and claim that it's part of the Pacific Ocean I might get better results.

Edited by Purifier, 25 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#30    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostShabd Mystic, on 25 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

The "end of the world" crowd should love this:  :yes:
Greenland Ice Melt, Measured By NASA Satellites, Reaches Unprecedented Level.

As the end of the year approaches I find myself quite excited.

If the end comes I hope it will be impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users