Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#46    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,524 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 24 January 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

I'm not a huge fan of bear traps really and there are laws governing them and their use, not to mention that if we do a little extrapolation of semi-factual information then you have to consider the following. Bigfoots have big foots, bigger supposedly than grizzly bear by a factor of two as a minimum. They don't make a standard bear trap that freaking large and the old "clam shell" designs with teeth are illegal just about every where.........and I simply would not consider one of those things for the shear inhumanity of the device. Dr. Mengele would probably be ok with it but I have a bit too much conscious for that.

I was hiking up in Alaska once and did happen across grizzly tracks and I don't mind telling you those were enough to send my sphincter into knots, so wounding a Bigfoot then trying to take him alive just left a pucker mark in my chair.

I have all ways hated trapping. It is very in humane, and just wrong. That is why I went with the pit idea. Although, the noose idea sounds good. But, wouldn't a noose tear through a animals skin trying to get out?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#47    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

It can, but that's a function of how violent the captured animal becomes once the trap has him. The biggest issue is blood circulation which is why when you set a trap you have to check it frequently and yes there is a possibility of the trapped animal chewing off a limb as well to consider. There isn't a good way to ensure 100% that you'll not make something like a Bigfoot a cripple, the looped snare is probably the best possibility. Now if one is willing to make a couple of assumptions you could make a stop so the snare proper doesn't cinch but so tight, but I have no idea what the ankle size of a Bigfoot would be.

I just think that advocating the shoot of a Bigfoot outright should only be undertaken when you've at least considered the possibility of a live capture. It's a Karma thing with me, and after thinking about it a bit and contemplating the deeper and ethical sides I thought I should at least give is some serious consideration. Goodness knows I've done enough killing in my life so getting input on something other than a lethal approach is a good thing I think.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting a Bigfoot to get itself caught to begin with and then getting it in a state for transport to a scientific facility......preferably without getting my own arms and legs ripped off or any members of any team I might be part of as well. That's pretty negative too.

#48    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,524 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 24 January 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

It can, but that's a function of how violent the captured animal becomes once the trap has him. The biggest issue is blood circulation which is why when you set a trap you have to check it frequently and yes there is a possibility of the trapped animal chewing off a limb as well to consider. There isn't a good way to ensure 100% that you'll not make something like a Bigfoot a cripple, the looped snare is probably the best possibility. Now if one is willing to make a couple of assumptions you could make a stop so the snare proper doesn't cinch but so tight, but I have no idea what the ankle size of a Bigfoot would be.

I just think that advocating the shoot of a Bigfoot outright should only be undertaken when you've at least considered the possibility of a live capture. It's a Karma thing with me, and after thinking about it a bit and contemplating the deeper and ethical sides I thought I should at least give is some serious consideration. Goodness knows I've done enough killing in my life so getting input on something other than a lethal approach is a good thing I think.

Of course, there is still the issue of getting a Bigfoot to get itself caught to begin with and then getting it in a state for transport to a scientific facility......preferably without getting my own arms and legs ripped off or any members of any team I might be part of as well. That's pretty negative too.

I agree. I am a " ex-Hunter ", and I doubt I would be able to shoot one. ( although I "know" they do not exist )

I would think if one were trapped, just a few phone calls would get the proper people there to take over on the capture.

911 would be my first call.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#49    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostSakari, on 24 January 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

But they will put 1,000 x the effort into a hoax :)
As long as it is mostly bluster and bragging and nothing to do with actual physical activity.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#50    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 24 January 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yeah, there is that, and if you consider that Squatches are supposed to be really intelligent......at least allegedly then the whole thing seems a wasted effort really. That's not to say I couldn't rig a snare using a high strength wire rope and possibly incorporate a one way slip device. One that slips up and cinches quickly and easily but won't loosen unless you release a catch that could be made to prevent it being loosen by a primate. Secure the other end to a large tree and wait and see if you have any luck.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.
Yeah! Maybe something that requires a tool to loosen. Something like a key, that can't be jimmyed open with a stick or rock.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#51    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 24 January 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Even if BF chewed off his foot, you'd have a heck of a large foot to show people. :tu:

Probably BF would take his foot with him, leaving a trail of bloody circles in the dirt and snow, where his foot used to be. He'd then bury his foot in the Rainbow Valley of Eternal Squatchyness, where all BF bones end up.

#52    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 January 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Even if BF chewed off his foot, you'd have a heck of a large foot to show people. :tu:

Probably BF would take his foot with him, leaving a trail of bloody circles in the dirt and snow, where his foot used to be. He'd then bury his foot in the Rainbow Valley of Eternal Squatchyness, where all BF bones end up.

Hahaha! But at least you'd have blood and hair and skin bits to send off to Kelba Metchum. Oh, _______! I forgot about the MIB Bigfoot Clean Up Crews!

In reality, any mentioned capture method should work, as they have/do for any other natural animal.

The problem is when you are talking about an animal that isn't natural. Even when trying,  it's impossible to cover all the bases.

For example, remember his friends who'll be lurking about nearby with stuff like bulldozers (borrowed from loggers), Craftsman tools, hyperdecomposition spray, and contact with the Mother Ship!

Edited by QuiteContrary, 24 January 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#53    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Sakari: I don't know if I'd call 911, odds are the police aren't going to be in a huge hurry to answer a Bigfoot call in the middle of nowhere. Just saying, and then you'd be out before you could get the critter to real scientist. If I were going to do this I might hook up with a local Vet who'd be willing to dart the creature enough so that we could secure it safely alive for transport. I suddenly got a visual of Hannibal Lecture on his transport cart.

Diechecker: That might be a way to go. I'll have to check and see what's available commercially. I might have to make some modifications myself but fortunately I'm an engineer so that's right up my ally.

QC: God in Heaven girl, what am I going to do with you?

:w00t:

#54    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 24 January 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

QC: God in Heaven girl, what am I going to do with you?

:w00t:

I dunno,,,

#55    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,524 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I figured someone has to answer a 911 call, and when they show up, all hell breaks loose.....Phone calls, radio dispatch, etc...

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#56    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

True enough they will answer them, trouble is whether or not they respond to it or not. They might just chalk it up to a crank call, they get an awful lot of those.

#57    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I've been doing some internet research on snares and as I suspected most snares are designed around common animals. The heaviest built one is for snaring hogs and only has a 1/8 " wire rope.  Looks like if I do this I'm going to have to devote some time to building my own Bigfoot snare. I can easily design one that won't allow the snare to cinch up beyond a certain point, that I can do with a simple and commercially available crimped on stop. The trick is designing a slip device that locks and can hold on fast. Worse case scenario is I'll have to cut the snare off the Biggy's leg, which can be done with bolt cutters really.

It just has to be designed so that a monkey or primate can't get it off, most snares are for catching things that don't have opposable thumbs or hands for that matter.

#58    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 24 January 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

Hahaha! But at least you'd have blood and hair and skin bits to send off to Kelba Metchum. Oh, _______! I forgot about the MIB Bigfoot Clean Up Crews!
Not to mention the porcipines. Apparently they serve some kind of a clean up function with the bigfoots.

#59    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 January 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

It could be made to work, but the effort would be Tremendous. Most BF hunters out "Squatching" aren't going to put a hundreth of that much effort into a trap.

Off topic and probably said but doesn't the term 'squatch' or 'squatching' sound disturbingly like something involving too much alcohol, jerky, sliders, spicy food and perhaps driving on a very washboarded dirt road, recklessly, and those effects the morning after, but preferably at home, and in the loo (but even then VERY unpleasant)?

On topic..... You would have to go with something that would fall over a Bigfoot since most evidence makes it clear that they use a hopping type locomotion (one, and maybe two footprints and no more). It would have to be big and heavy since the force required to leap so far would extreme being 6 to 9 feet tall and weighing so much. :whistle:

#60    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

I thought about that as well, the problem with drop nets is that they have to drop and that takes time and once it's down a creature, any creature really, can easily get out from under it unless you try using some sort of dead weight cinching device. Trouble is with all that is it take a lot of time and effort and the more you have to do the more you're going to disturb the surroundings and the more you're going to make it less likely to have a Bigfoot come in to your trap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users