Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

Doggerland

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#766    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

**double post**

Edited by Abramelin, 04 February 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#767    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,322 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

You've probably seen all the sites but I did come across this one:

Doggerland and Cantre’r Gwaelod – The Way We Were,
But Who Were We and Who Are We Now?

I’ve not looked at sufficient sea bed maps to work out exactly how much extra land was made available by these two phenomena but certain facts are clear. You could walk from the West coast of Ireland overland to Denmark and Sweden. There was no Irish Sea or North Sea south of a line from Denmark to the East Riding. The Thames, as  was, joined the Seine somewhere near Dover and flowed South towards the Bay of Biscay. Between Wales and Ireland later became “Cantre’r Gwaelod” in the Mabinogion, Welsh folk myth, and the “Southern North Sea” was a huge expanse now termed “Doggerland”, an area roughly equal to the present UK land mass. Elsewhere, where there is now coastline, imagine the sea level being nearly four hundred feet lower – and on the south coast probably more than that (See-saw effect).

http://fivetrilliont...-age-and-celts/

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#768    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I did read that:

Post 752, page 51 (one page back):
http://www.unexplain...9

#769    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,322 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

It seems to me the people and culture at the ancient British site of Star Carr may have been also a kind of 'Doggerlander' - as I read this article, the red antler tips indicated a connection as they also dredged these up (antler tips) at the Doggerland site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Carr

Also where Star Carr is situated seems very likely it would have been connected geographically to Doggerland or at least very near to it. Maybe more investigations around Star Carr will give more answers about the people of Doggerland.

One interesting thing is they actually seem to have made head-dresses out of the red antler skull, with the antlers intact.

Edited by The Puzzler, 09 March 2012 - 02:31 AM.

#770    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 09 March 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

It seems to me the people and culture at the ancient British site of Star Carr may have been also a kind of 'Doggerlander' - as I read this article, the red antler tips indicated a connection as they also dredged these up (antler tips) at the Doggerland site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Carr

Also where Star Carr is situated seems very likely it would have been connected geographically to Doggerland or at least very near to it. Maybe more investigations around Star Carr will give more answers about the people of Doggerland.

One interesting thing is they actually seem to have made head-dresses out of the red antler skull, with the antlers intact.

In an article I quoted from in this thread Doggerland is even mentioned in connection with the Star Car site.

But what I would really love to see is that a Robert Ballard would feel challenged to search for remnants of submerged settlements in the North Sea. Much like he has done in the Black Sea, years ago.

#771    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 30 April 2010 - 02:25 PM, said:

Yeah, I didn't get the date from a scientific paper, and now I know I must have confused it with the date of an early eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in the 7th millenium BC.

But in the next links they say its 7000 +/- 1000 years, lol. A nice big margin..

http://www.search.co...noes_in_Germany
http://en.wikipedia....noes_in_Germany

Oh, and I never suggested any erupting volcano may have caused Doggerland to submerge or something. The reason I started talking about the Laacher See eruption 13,000 years ago, was just because of the effect of its ash: if I have to believe what was said, then people had to move far away from that area because all the food (plants/animals) and water was spoiled.
So my guess was - and again nothing more than that - that people fled into the direction of Doggerland.

=

I still think that a spiralling comet appearing in the night skies (and maybe even followed by an impact in the North Sea) should have been an impressive and scary sight. But of course, then it must have been much closer to the earth than Hale-Bopp ever was. And that is what I said in a former post: IF such a comet appeared, then it must have been huge or very close to earth to be visible with the naked eye.

I only mentioned Hale-Bopp because it actually created spirals; to be honest, I had never heard of that or spiralling comets in general.

Now back to your idea that the petroglyphs could as well have been inspired by a volcanic eruption. Can you explain how that would create concentric circles or spirals in the sky, and visible in many countries?
I posted the Hale-Bopp comet just to show that such spiralling comets exist, and I also posted a scientific paper explaining the how and why of such comets.  Do you have a photo of an erupting volcano giving rise to the same visual effect??

In this thread I have talked quite a lot about a 'spiralling comet' causing the Storegga Slide and subsequent tsunami that flooded Doggerland, a spiralling comet that may have been depicted on stone as socalled 'cup and circle' petroglyphs or even labyrinths.

Well, what's also quite remarkable is that the Laacher See eruption in Germany, 12900 years ago, coincided with the possible impact of a comet (thanks Waspie Dwarf):

New evidence supporting theory of extraterrestrial impact found
June 11, 2012

These new data are the latest to strongly support the controversial Younger Dryas Boundary (YDB) hypothesis, which proposes that a cosmic impact occurred 12,900 years ago at the onset of an unusual cold climatic period called the Younger Dryas. This episode occurred at or close to the time of major extinction of the North American megafauna, including mammoths and giant ground sloths; and the disappearance of the prehistoric and widely distributed Clovis culture. The researchers' findings appear today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://phys.org/news...ial-impact.html

Btw, I do know this is thousands of years before the Storegga Slide.

++++++++++

EDIT:

The caldera was formed after the Laacher See eruption dated to 12,900 years ago. The remaining crust collapsed into the empty magma chamber below, probably two or three days after the eruption. An estimated 6 km³ of magma was erupted, producing around 16 km³ of tephra. This massive eruption thus had a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6, and was larger than the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo (Philippines) which also had a VEI of 6, approximately 10 km3 (2.4 cu mi).

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Laacher_See

Edited by Abramelin, 14 June 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#772    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

The next has been posted like 4 times in several threads. Apparently the search tool of this site is malfunctioning so I will add it here too:

Some reporter woke up late, and wrote an article about a 'new' discovery

'Britain's Atlantis' found at bottom of North sea - a huge undersea world swallowed by the sea in 6500BC
Divers have found traces of ancient land swallowed by waves 8500 years ago
Doggerland once stretched from Scotland to Denmark
Rivers seen underwater by seismic scans
Britain was not an island - and area under North Sea was roamed by mammoths and other giant animals

Described as the 'real heartland' of Europe
Had population of tens of thousands - but devastated by sea level rises

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1zrMsxQqD

#773    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

And I know it is a long thread, so I wil add a summary I posted in May 2010. All in all it will looke like a scrypt for a good movie (and yes, some points may be a bit too far into la-la-land, but hey, what Sitchin/Blavatsky/Von Däniken could do, I can too. And I did not even make up anything).

=====

-1- Doggerland was a large stretch of land that became inhabited soon after the end of the last ice age, and became a good place for humans to live in, after a couple of thousand years (lets say from 8500 - 6100 BC)

-2- The culture of Doggerland was part of the Maglemosian culture (ca. 9500 BCE–6000) BCE) that existed in Northern Europe (from Britain to the Baltic)

-3- They were very probably seafarers

-4- The language spoken by the ancient Doggerlanders may have been (proto)-Finno-Ugric

-5- Doggerland got flooded and whiped from the map by a giant tsunami at around 6100 BC (the Storegga Slide). At 6100 BC -before it got hit by the Storegga tsunami - all that was left of Doggerland was an island the size of Ireland

-6- Those who survived the deluge (by being at a safe enough distance, or surfing the hell out of there by riding the tsunami, lol) fled to Scotland, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

-7- There are scientific clues (linguistic and genetic) that Doggerland was some sort of original homeland to many peoples now living at the borders of the North Sea

-8- It's possible (is it??) that the ancient Picts were the last remnants of the Doggerlanders who had survived the deluge. Maybe a relation with the Fomorians in the oldest Irish legends

-9- No idea at all, but maybe Nehalennia was the name of an ancient seagoddess worshipped long before the existence of Celtic and Germanic tribes at the coasts of the North Sea and maybe they - Celts and Germans - took over the worship (using slightly altered names, like "Elen", "Holle", "Hel", "Hulda" and so on. Maybe these Celtic and Germanic tribes were nothing but the offspring of these Doggerlanders, and maybe a mix of these Doggerlanders with people who came later to north-western Europe

-10- The Germanic name "Hel" or Celtic "Hal" (and lots of similar names) are the names of the old North Sea. There are even pilgrim roads through Germany and the Netherlands that are called "Hellweg", literally, "Road to Hell", Hell being the old name of the North Sea before the Christians stole it.

Over time the name Hell became synonym for everything evil. Maybe "hell" was connected to the original name of Doggerland, in some proto -IE or proto Finno Ugric language.

-11- Doggerland may have been the place of origin of the 'white people' (god knows why, but some geneticists believe this to be true)

-12- The Oera Linda Book, a proven hoax btw, may have used ancient (and unknown Frisian or other) legends as a source. Btw, the Frisians are genetically distinct from other people living around the North Sea, and they were there, very probably millenia ago. And they builded clay/stone mounts to live on, whole villages were on those 'terps'.

-13- (I almost forgot) Some think that ancient seafarers (from the western Mediterreanean) depicted the remnants of Doggerland in petroglyphs in present Portugal ( Aboboreira/ "How the Sungod reached America") as a dangerous area in the North Sea, an area to avoid. But that must have been after Doggerland sank beneath the waves, and only left a dangerous sand bank ("Doggers Bank")

-14- A guess: are the present Frisians the descendants of those Doggerlanders??? And did their ancestors indeed sail the seas and oceans back then, and did they influence the cultures of the countries they landed upon/in (I dont know the right English word for it)??

-15- If Doggerland was the homeland of white people, and if it is true that they fled it when they saw it being submerged, what did they do?? Flee as far as they could? Tell other people they met on their voyages - being seafarers - about what had happened to them or their kin??

-16- Was Doggerland "Hyperborea"? If the surivors of that deluge fled to everywhere, on ship or on land, crossing Europe, they may have met the ancestors of Homer and told them their story. They had already established the amber routes across Europe...

-17- Were they the ones who started the Megalithic culture across western Europe? And if so, why??

-18- Hmmmm......maybe the Celts (of Ireland, Scotland and Wales) had a name for Doggerland ( a name they would much later use for Scandinavia and/or North West Germany), and that name would be "Lochlan" (and lots of different spellings).

-19- Stonehenge may have been a 'healing' culture, and may also have been a sacred burial ground for the Doggerlanders (- they found postholes dating from 8000 BC - )

-20- "Lochlan", an Irish Gaelic word for 'Land of Lakes' is an appropriate word for Doggerland, because scientists have found out Doggerland was a land of rivers, marshes, woodlands, and lakes.

-21- Lochlan/Doggerland may have been the place of origin of the Fo®morians and/or Cuithne, and/or Tuatha De Danann as described in ancient Irish legends

-22- At present the Scots have the following names for the North Sea :

Muir Lochlainn = North Sea
Mhuir a Tuath = North Sea

-23- Heh, maybe good ol'Tolkien dreamt about its destruction by a 'giant, silent Wave' (genetic memory, or something. Well, it earned him a lot of fame and money, right?

-24- Did ancient Native Americans travel to Doggerland along the Gulf Stream ( think "Red Paint People/Maritime Archaic")? Were they the 'dark haired, dark skinned' Fomorians? You tell me... (there are reports dating from Roman times up to just a couple of centuries ago of Inuit arriving in Scotland, Ireland and Holland in their canoes).

-25- There are those who say that Doggerland may have existed long after the Storegga Slide because it's inhabitants build dikes to protect them (Deruelle).

-26- Juergen Spanuth published a book (1953) about his theory that Atlantis was located in the North, and that Atlantis City was nothing but Helgoland. I don't agree with his theory, but he used finds on the bottom of the sea, west of Denmark.

-27- The Megalithic Culture of western Europe may have originated in Doggerland; these people built huge structures using tree trunks; these structures were destroyed by the Storegga Slide; after that they sailed out to the countries they already knew of, and started building using a more durable material: stone.

-28- Submerged megalithic structures have been found òn the bottom of the sea, off the coasts of Orkney.

-29- Doggerlanders were fishers and seafarers, and they may have sailed up the Elbe river into the center of Europe, and thus influencing much of the European culture with their stories and myths.

-29- Volcanoes erupting in the Eifel region of Germany, around 13,000 BC, may have forced people to flee to the north west of that region: Doggerland (and of course the countries near Doggerland. A large area was made uninhabitable for ages across a large stretch of Europe: northern France, west and north Germany. Food was poisened, water was undrinkable, people died.

-30- Long after Doggerland finally sank beneath the waves, people remembered it. They even gave offerings to the sea (the North Sea) in the form of stone age axes, beautifully and smooth tools that were seen as very special around that time.

-31- Stonehenge and similar structures in the other Brittish Isles and Ireland may have been built by the refugees of Doggerland, but now they used stone instead of oak trees that were abundant on Doggerland.
But not immediately: first they used these oaks (Tara Hill, Ireland, or the wooden structures that preceded Stonehenge).

-32- Most of these structures are connected with some death cult, and on the east coast of England they found the remnants of a wooden circular structure, and a scientist said it was made for the dead, and that the ancients may have ferried their dead across the North Sea, to an 'Island of the Dead'. Dogger Island, perhaps??

-33- The Doggerlanders were whalers (amongst other professions), they were not too afraid to sail the oceans. When they fled after their homeland got flooded, they went to the countries they had encountered during their voyages and hunting parties.

-34-  All over the world, but especially in Scotland, the Brittish Isles in general, and Ireland (and Scandinavia) they found socalled 'cup-and-circle' petroglyphs.

Many of these circles are concentric circles with a 'tail' from center to outer circle, accompanied with 'cups'.

From what I gathered around the internet, these symbols could well represent an impact of a spiralling comet (creating a huge and spectacular image across the ancient heavens) that impacted into the north of the present North Sea (west of Norway), causing the Storegga Slide, and subsequently causing the huge tsumani that flooded the remnants of Doggerland.

Petroglyphs like that are found all over the earth, but most in N/W Europe.

-35- According to one theory, around 6100 BC a swarm of 'bolids' impacted on earth (Tollmann).

-36- More recent and circular labyrinths are - according to me - depictions of this same event. The 'entrance' of the labyrinth being equal to the tail of the spiralling comet (like the 'Hale-Bopp' comet) that destroyed land 6100 BC.

Labyrinths all over the earth have to do with 'death at the center', Death, another life, the afterlife, whatever comes after the maggots start eating our flesh. The center of the spiralling comet was of course the comet itself, the rock that eventually impacted into the North Sea, and caused the death of many thousands of people.

These labyrinths are rather similar all over the earth, but in the Americas that socalled 'entrance' is always at the top of the labyrinth, while in Europe and India that entrance is at the bottom. I think that is caused by where the people watching that heavenly event were located on earth.

-37- I think I found a repesentation ( petroglyphs in Wales) of a spiralling comet impacting into the North Sea.... wishfull thinking, no doubt.

Edited by Abramelin, 06 July 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#774    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Some pics I wanted to add to my former post, but alas, I am too late.

Anyway, here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 06 July 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#775    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ormen Lange and the Storegga Slide

The Ormen Lange gas field lies near the headwall of the enormous Storegga submarine landslide that took place for over 8200 years ago. NGI's contribution to the project has been to ensure that no such gigantic landslide is about to occur again.

The Ormen Lange gas field is the second largest gas field in Norway after the Troll gas field. For almost 8200 years ago enormous quantities of stones, gravel, sand and clay material slid out from the Norwegian shelf towards the Storegga area. The landslide scarp is about 300 km long and studies have shown that parts of the landslide scar is more than 800 km out into the deep ocean.

Posted Image

This landslide has also resulted in the destruction of Stone Age communities in Western Norway which was devastated by 10-15 m high waves (tsunami). There are also found marks from this event on land in both Scotland and the Faroe islands. The consequences of a new landslide of this magnitude to the pipeline system and underwater production facilities on the sea floor would be catastrophic.

Norsk Hydro, which was the operator of this gas field, initiated a large project to evaluate the risk of a new landslide in the area, and to investigate what actually caused the Storegga landslide. Before the new Ormen Lange gas field could be developed, reassurances were needed that the chances for a new landslide were minimal and that activities associated with the development and operation of the field would not increasing the risk for a new devastating landslide. Innovative design and construction of the seabed systems were required for the installation on the extremely uneven seabed that was created after the Storegga landslide.

Cause of the Storegga Slide

In order to understand the Storegga slide, we must first consider the facts during the last ice age which ended about 10,000 years ago. When the ice age was at its climax, the sea level was about 120 to 130 m below the sea level today. The melting of the ice, which started about 18,000 years ago, led to movement of enormous quantities of stones, gravel, sand and clay material were dug out from the inner parts of Scandinavia. These masses were transported by the moving icebergs and finally formed gigantic moraine deposits in the so called North Sea Fan (Nordsjøvifta).

The sedimentation process took place relatively quickly, and the water in the sediments (pore water) was not drained out. This resulted in increasing pore pressure in the sediments, significantly higher than the hydrostatic pressure, as the sedimentation process continued. High pore pressure leads to less particle contact in the soil, and the material thereby has less strength. The combination of high pore water pressure, low shear strength and inclination made the area unstable. It is likely that an earthquake was the triggering mechanism for the Storegga landslide. But since this whole area was so unstable, the slide could have been  triggered by less drastic factors.

When the Storegga landslide took place, it also resulted in the mass movement of moraine material that was deposited during several different ice ages in history. Six or seven different slide surfaces with low friction have been identified. The lowest sliding surface lies close to the bottom of the landslide area, which means that the landslide propagated backwards as it continuously ¿jumped¿ to the next sliding area. The landslide is about 700 m deep. Which means that huge quantities of soil mass was in motion. It is very likely that this landslide process took place during some hours, or maximum during a couple of days.

The Ormen Lange gas field was discovered in 1997. Gas production started Thursday 13th September 2007 with gas transport through the pipeline system to the processing unit at Aukra outside Kristiansund in Western Norway. The investigations of the Storegga landslide has shown the necessity for similar type of investigations in other parts of the world. Several oil companies has therefore contacted NGI and requested assistance in connection with the evaluating for submarine landslides and geohazards along other continental shelves.

[images]

http://www.ngi.no/en...e-and-Storegga/

Dutch:

In Nederland kwamen sporen van deze tsunami aan het licht bij bodemonderzoek tijdens het aanleggen van de snelle treinverbinding naar Parijs, de HSL en bij Rotterdam Centraal Station. Onderzoek wees uit dat een onderzeese afglijding van de oceaanbodem ter hoogte van Noorwegen de zogenaamde Storegga Tsunami veroorzaakt had, die bij de Shetland eilanden een golfhoogte van 25 meter bereikt zal hebben.

http://www.ecomare.n...dex.php?id=6697

English:

In the Netherlands traces of this tsunami came to light during a soil survey for the construction of the TGV  fast train connection between Paris and Rotterdam Central Station. Research showed that a submarine sedimentary movement of the ocean floor off Norway had caused the socalled Storegga Tsunami, that must have reached a wave height of 25 meters in the Shetland Islands.

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 09 July 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#776    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Viking Bergen Island is an island which is said to have existed between modern day Shetland, and mainland Norway. The location is now referred to as the Viking Bergen Banks. Like Dogger Bank off England, it was inundated after rising sea levels due to the complications of the Ice Age. It disappeared several thousand years ago.

Oddly it may have survived in folk memory.

http://shetlopedia.c..._Island#_note-0

And this is that 'folk memory' :

The cormorants of Utrøst
Translation into English by Marie Lams.

On their way home, the fishermen of the Northland often find bits of straw on the rudders of their boats, or barley grains in the stomachs of the fish they have caught. Then they say that they have gone through Utrøst or one of the other enchanted lands described in the legends of the Northlands. They are revealed only to the devout, or people with second sight in peril at sea, and they appear in places where there is no real land. The inhabitants of these magic lands till the soil, raise sheep and go fishing like other people, but there the sun shines on greener meadows and richer fields than anywhere else in the Northland: happy the man who lands on one of these sunny little islands, or even gets a glimpse of one. "He’s safe", the people up there will say. An old song in the Peder Dass style gives a complete description of an island off Træna, in Helgeland, called Sandflesa; the water abounds with fish and the woods with all kinds of game.

Read the rest here: http://web.tiscaline...cormo_tale3.htm

I have serious doubts this legend is about the Viking Bergen. The legend mentions the location of this 'mythical' land: "the middle of the Vestfjord". That's just off the coast of Norway, almost glued to the coast and a lot further to the north.

The Viking Bergen (Viking Mountains) are much further offshore, between the Shetland Islands and Norway:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 09 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#777    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

From the same Dutch link:

Dutch:

Op 6 april 1580 heeft een vloedgolf na een onderzeese aardbeving de stad Calais en omgeving overspoeld. De dag erop volgde een tweede tsunami bij Mont St. Michel in Normandië. Volgens overlevenden had die een golfhoogte van meer dan 15 meter.

English:

On April 6, 1580, a tidal wave flooded the town of Calais and its surroundings after an undersea earthquake. On the day that followed a second tsunami occurred at Mont St. Michel in Normandy. According to survivors the wave had a height of more than 15 meters.

And this must have been 'just a minor' earth-quake on/near the Dogger Bank.

The Storegga Slide, however, wasn't just one single event: it occured several times in the past thousands of years in the North Sea area, and long after after the one that flushed Doggerland down the drain.

I lost the link to the paper that mentioned the other slides (not only the Storegga Slide, but others occurring near Norway).

I will find it again.

In the meantine, watch this video again, and know the tsunami caused by the  Storegga Slide  may have lasted for days.......

Edited by Abramelin, 09 July 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#778    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,322 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

All interesting stuff Abe.

#779    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 10 July 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

All interesting stuff Abe.

I hope it gets better, lol.

=

OK, this is what I was searching for:

Evidence for three North Sea tsunamis at the Shetland Islands between 8000 and 1500 years ago
Stein Bondevika, , , Jan Mangerudb, Sue Dawsonc, Alastair Dawsonc, Øystein Lohneb

Abstract
Coastal fen- and lake deposits enclose sand layers that record at least three Holocene tsunamis at the Shetland Islands. The oldest is the well-known Storegga tsunami (ca 8100 cal yr BP), which at the Shetlands invaded coastal lakes and ran up peaty hillsides where it deposited sand layers up to 9.2 m above present high tide level. Because sea level at ca 8100 cal yr BP was at least 10–15 m below present day sea level, the runup exceeded 20 m. In two lakes, we also found deposits from a younger tsunami dated to ca 5500 cal yr BP. The sediment facies are similar to those of the Storegga tsunami—rip-up clasts, sand layers, re-deposited material and marine diatoms. Runup was probably more than 10 m. Yet another sand layer in peat outcrops dates to ca 1500 cal yr BP. This sand layer thins and fines inland and was found at two sites 40 km apart and traced to ca 5–6 m above present high tide. The oldest tsunami was generated by the Storegga slide on the Norwegian continental slope. We do not know what triggered the two younger events

http://www.sciencedi...277379105000739

http://www.mendeley....1500-years-ago/

http://adsabs.harvar...QSRv...24.1757B

So the three dates are: ca, 8100 , 5500 and 1500 cal yr BP.

This is important, for if any sort of legend or myth exists, it could well be about those 2 later tsunamis.

And they also think they can tell in what the season the first tsunami (ca 8100 cal yr BP)  happened:

Propagation of the Storegga tsunami into ice-free lakes along the southern shores of the Barents Sea
Anders Romundset1,*, Stein Bondevik1,2Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011

Abstract
Deposits in coastal lakes in northernmost Norway reveal that the Storegga tsunami propagated well into the Barents Sea ca. 8100–8200 years ago. A tsunami deposit – found in cores from five coastal lakes located near the North Cape in Finnmark – rests on an erosional unconformity and consists of graded sand layers and re-deposited organic remains. Rip-up clasts of lake mud, peat and soil suggest strong erosion of the lake floor and neighbouring land. Inundation reached at least 500 m inland and minimum vertical run-up has been reconstructed to 3–4 m. In this part of the Arctic coastal lakes are usually covered by >1 m of solid lake ice in winter. The significant erosion and deposition of rip-up clasts indicate that the lakes were ice free and that the ground was probably not frozen. We suggest that the Storegga slide and ensuing tsunami happened sometime in the summer season, between April and October. Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd

http://onlinelibrary...ial maintenance

#780    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

If it appears to be true that the tsunami occurred between april and october, then the next (my reply to JohnD) is interesting too:

View PostAbramelin, on 11 July 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Thanks for that great image of the mask, John. Never seen it before.

Yes, I have written about Star Carr in this thread, as you may know, and the people living there may certainy have had close connections with what once was Doggerland at it's greatest extent. I too think Star Carr may have been a settlement that was occupied during summer months when the weather was more agreeable, and that its inhabitants moved back to Doggerland when winter set in.

This would mean that many people were visiting more northen countries to hunt for seal, deer and whatnot when the tsunami flooded Doggerland. When the hunters finally returned to their homeland, they would have seen their country destroyed, their families drowned or simply gone (assuming the hunters had not taken their families along with them). You'd think that those who returned will have talked about it for many generations to come.

About that weather being more agreeable during summer months: the avarage temperature in Doggerland and in the countries directly to its west and east was a couple of degrees Celsius higher than it is now.

Edited by Abramelin, 10 July 2012 - 10:48 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users