Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stephen King

Bonecrusher

I've just recently been reading Under The Dome and I've just realised something...

Stephen King is just as good as ever in the autumn of his career.

He can probably retire on what he's done but this guy refuses to rest on his laurels.

I get an absolute buzz when one of his books hits the shelves.

And there's not many of his fellow authors I can mention in the same light.

He's got an impressive CV and I can certainly pick out more than a few highlights.

Edited by Walnut Whip
  • Like 5

I. Freaking. Love. Stephen. King. A brilliant writer, from his first book to his most recent. I own a good many of his books.

• Like 6

I. Freaking. Love. Stephen. King. A brilliant writer, from his first book to his most recent. I own a good many of his books.

I owned quite a few as well but circumstances out of my control meant I had to abandon them.

It was like a Who Who's of Stephen King at one stage including IT,The Stand,Desperation,Dreamcatcher,Salems Lot,Insomnia,Nightmares and Dreamscapes,Four To Midnight,Carrie and Needful Things.

The only dud tbh was Insomnia but I've missed out on a few recent titles including Cell.

I just love his original approach to horror and conjour up blind terror out of nothing.

To show how much this guy is loved even his golden oldies are still in print.

The outstanding book to be honest is IT but The Stand is also a classic.

Btw William Gaunt in Needful Things is definetly the Devil.

To me, his best work is the dark tower series... cept for the last few pages of the series which really ticked me off, lol.

I actually loved the ending.

• Like 3

DUMA KEY was one of his best, IMO. I loved it. I think it was his way of getting over his near death car crash story. Awesome!

• Like 4

I did too.I had heard from friends that I wouldn't like it.But,who needs friends anyway? :geek:

I'm going to be a bad host here...

I've not really read anything in the Dark Tower series.

And I should do because a certain Randall Flagg crops up.

Edited by Walnut Whip
  • Like 1

I'm going to be a bad host here...

I've not really read anything in the Dark Tower series.

And I should do because a certain Randall Flagg crops up.

No one who brings up Stephen King is a bad host.IMO

And yeah.Read the Dark Tower series.I don't think you'll regret it.(or at least,I don't)

Again,my opinion,but I think it's some of his best work.

• Like 1

The Dark Tower Series... :td:

I love his other books, but those I never finished.

I dunno, in alot of ways I expected it to end the way it did, I was just hoping it wouldnt... The whole "Ka" and "life is a wheel" was just to prevelant in the series NOT to end it the way it did I guess... I have yet to go back and read Wind Through The Keyhole though....

And yeah, nearly all of his books are tied into the dark tower series... everything from his short stories to the green mile.

• Like 1

I dunno, in alot of ways I expected it to end the way it did, I was just hoping it wouldnt... The whole "Ka" and "life is a wheel" was just to prevelant in the series NOT to end it the way it did I guess... I have yet to go back and read Wind Through The Keyhole though....

And yeah, nearly all of his books are tied into the dark tower series... everything from his short stories to the green mile.

But there's a slight change to the loop at the end. Remember the Horn of Eld?

His short stories are okay. I find his books to be TERRIBLE. Can't stand them.

Mr King is what you call a " details" man and big on character development.

Be patient and wait for the cliff-hangers because they will come soon enough.

Btw my favourite short story is about that guy who self-cannibalises himself on a desert island.

The Langoliers and The Mist are worthy of a mention as well.

All this talking about the Dark Towers has got me thinking about parallel universes.

The Stand and the ones following it are not set on the same Earth.

Yet there's connections from both Earth's to the Dark Tower series.

Edited by Walnut Whip

I've read a good deal of his stuff, but it seems like I'm always slightly let down by the endings.

He is brilliant at character development and dialogue.

The latest I read, 11-23-63, great at times, slow as hell at others. He really could have used an editor on about 2/3 of that.

It seems that he always sets up such a great villian/conflict only to have a 'magical' ending for the protaganists at the end. Far too convenient endings.

If they were to cast and move forward on a dark tower movie... What actors would you guys pick for the main cast?

No one. I know, I know, many claim certain books or book series can't be filmed but I do believe the Dark Tower series is one of those, the type that can't become a film.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

Mr King is what you call a " details" man and big on character development.

Be patient and wait for the cliff-hangers because they will come soon enough.

Btw my favourite short story is about that guy who self-cannibalises himself on a desert island.

The Langoliers and The Mist are worthy of a mention as well.

All this talking about the Dark Towers has got me thinking about parallel universes.

The Stand and the ones following it are not set on the same Earth.

Yet there's connections from both Earth's to the Dark Tower series.

The sad part is that I've read almost all of his books. I stopped sometime in the mid 2000's and began to question why I didn't earlier. Some masochistic streak, I suppose.

If they were to cast and move forward on a dark tower movie... What actors would you guys pick for the main cast?

It took so many years for him to finish (if he is truly finished) the Dark Tower series. I have always pictured Roland as Clint Eastwood but now there is no way that Eastwood could ever play him at his age. Now I think that Timothy Olyphant who played Sheriff Bullock in the HBO series Deadwood would be an excellent Roland.

I am a HUUUUUUGE Stephen King fan. Have been since I was a pre-teen. I own just about everything he's written except for some of his more recent stuff. I even own The Green Mile in the original separate series of books.

I love how he references characters and events from one book into another. They're like little hidden gems that no one but a true fan will ever notice.

Trivia: What item from "Pet Semetary" is found in a pile of junk in the book "Insominia"?

The movie "Maximum Overdrive" was based on which of his short stories by another name?

The movie "Shawshank Redemption" was based on which of his short stories by another name?

• Like 1

Sneakers!

Trucks!

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption!

Odd, it never saved my first response. YOU ARE AWESOME!! I don't know too many people who can answer those. The blood stained sneaker is correct. Trucks is correct. Shawshank is almost correct. In my book it's called, Influencing the Hell out of Time and Rita Hayworth. :clap::tsu:

I used to own a hardback of all of his stories written under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. It was called the Bachman Books. Unfortunately, I let someone borrow it and it never got returned. I haven't been able to find it in all these years. I've always thought that "The Long Walk" would make an excellent movie.

Edited by Pandora7321
  • Like 2

Odd, it never saved my first response. YOU ARE AWESOME!! I don't know too many people who can answer those. The blood stained sneaker is correct. Trucks is correct. Shawshank is almost correct. In my book it's called, Influencing the Hell out of Time and Rita Hayworth. :clap::tsu:

Oh cool! I've never seen it called that, but his short stories do get thrown around a bit, kind of like Lovecraft's. My dad and I are huge King fans. :D

• Like 1