Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46    jimmylives

jimmylives

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

• “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”--Mark Twain

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

View PostMstrMsn, on 09 October 2010 - 04:56 PM, said:

Eduardo Sanchez, one of the film's writers/directors was from Montgomery County, Maryland. He is an alumnus of Montgomery College. There is also a Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, MD. There is not now, nor ever was a town in Maryland called "Blair".
Thanks for the correction! I have searched on Google Map the area in WV for any references with the name "Blair". Nothing have found, only a road called Blair. See the map
Has this place anything to do with the Blair Wich Legend?  :rolleyes:

Posted Image
~~~I'm not a cryptozoologist, but equally I'm not part of the Skeptics Society either.~~~

#47    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

View Postjimmylives, on 09 October 2010 - 07:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the correction! I have searched on Google Map the area in WV for any references with the name "Blair". Nothing have found, only a road called Blair. See the map

I highly doubt it. The Blair Witch Legend is made up. I'm sure given enough time, everything that made up the legend can be found. That does, however, depend on whether or not the legend was entirely made up.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#48    cj2o

cj2o

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

deleted!!

Edited by cj2o, 10 October 2011 - 06:43 AM.

#49    cj2o

cj2o

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

The Blair Witch Project was developed in 1994[3] by the filmmakers. The script began with a 68 page outline, with the dialogue to be improvised.[3] Accordingly, the directors advertised in Back Stage magazine for actors with strong improvisational abilities.[4] There was a very informal improvisational audition process to narrow the pool of 2,000 actors.[5][6] In developing the mythology behind the movie, the filmmakers used many inspirations. Several character names are near-anagrams; Elly Kedward (The Blair Witch) is Edward Kelley, a 16th century mystic. Rustin Parr, the fictional 1940s child-murderer, began as an anagram for Rasputin.[7] In talks with investors, they presented an eight-minute documentary along with newspapers and news footage.[8] This documentary, originally called The Blair Witch Project: The Story of Black Hills Disappearances was produced by Haxan Films.  
Source: http://en.wikipedia....r_Witch_Project  Look under the section that says PRODUCTION

Edited by cj2o, 10 October 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#50    Average Fallacy

Average Fallacy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious that people are still questioning whether or not there's any truth to the Blair Witch nearly a decade after the fact. Of course, it's all fictitious, but regardless of that, I think that it shows how much talent and effort was behind The Blair Witch Project, and is also part of why it will always be one of my favorite films.

Excuse me, you're standing on my neck.

#51    Metaniel

Metaniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

The Blair Witch 'History' was cleverly made but it is a complete myth

#52    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

There was a book that came out that I picked up at a local book shop which has a lot of info.  I don't have it with me now but I'll try to skim through it once I get home but from what I understand, it is entirely fiction yet told as though it was real.  Speaking of which, did they ever settle which came out first?   The Blair Witch Project or The Last Broadcast?  I know there was some speculation and disputes on those 2 films.

#53    _Only

_Only

• 6,508 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostWookietim, on 07 April 2009 - 05:16 PM, said:

The OP is aware that the movie and videogames associated with it were launched with an ad campaign that included a whole slew of fake websites that fleshed out the backstory, isn't he?

There's got to be laws made about this. But fat chance, as the information age created by the Internet is now a marketing tool.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#54    II_XxEnigmaxX_II

II_XxEnigmaxX_II

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• "Im The Best There is
    The Best There Was
    And The Best There Ever Will Be..."

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

IM KINDA A FAN OF THE BLAIR WITCH EVEN THO ITS FAKE...I HAVE IT ON DVD AND EVERYTHING I WAS READING MATCHED UP TO A DOCUMENTED EXTRA ON THE DVD THATS "SUPPOSIDLY TRUE" CALLED "The Curse Of The Blair Witch" ITS A BACK STORY ON THE BLAIR WITCH BUT ITS FAKE =/ THERE IS NO BURRKITS VILLE OR WHATEVER, SO THE MOVIE & DOCUMENTRY IS 100% FAKE BUT THE INSPIRATION FOR THE MOVIE WAS THE BELL WITCH AND SO I GUESS THEY BASED THE MOVIE ON FROM THERE.

Posted Image
*BEST*IN*THE*WORLD*

CAPS IS MY SIGNATURE

#55    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

Take away my breath

• 8,290 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

View Postjimmylives, on 09 October 2010 - 07:42 PM, said:

There's no "Blair Witch." And the story (the movie) takes place in southern Maryland.

Edited by Princess Serenity, 24 November 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#56    Damian Bâthory

Damian Bâthory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• That is not dead wich can eternally live, when abnormal time comes, even Death may die.
    "Abl Al Ashrad, Necronomicon."

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

This is all made up, They did the same thing when they said that the Texas chainsaw massacre movie was based on a true story, their base was ED Gein but Ed had nothing in common with the chainsaw massacre except the human skin mask, but he only made these mask, never wore them, he had more in common with Buffalo Bill from silence of the lamb.

You want it clearer..??.....just look in the mirror...

#57    Lady_Mercury

Lady_Mercury

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• 'What would James Bond do?'
    'He'd probably wear a corset so no one would guess he was sixty.'

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostDamian Bâthory, on 25 November 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

This is all made up, They did the same thing when they said that the Texas chainsaw massacre movie was based on a true story, their base was ED Gein but Ed had nothing in common with the chainsaw massacre except the human skin mask, but he only made these mask, never wore them, he had more in common with Buffalo Bill from silence of the lamb.

Actually Ed Gein did wear human skin, including a woman's breasts.  He made lamps out of bones and a spinal cord, and such contraptions are seen in TCM.  Gein inspired Leatherface, Buffalo Bill and Norman Bates.

Buffalo Bill was also based on Ted Bundy.

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
- T.S. Eliot

#58    lalalalana

lalalalana

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

• Don't waste time 'cause time will waste you.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Have just read this post and although all fake it did make for a very interesting read :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche.

#59    GenerationNine

GenerationNine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

• Never assume.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

The Blair Witch Project was influenced by/based on (the most loosely, mind) the legend of the Bell Witch. Really, there aren't any similarities between the two stories save for a ghost.

The Bell Witch is the supposedly real story of the Bell family in the 1800s. The spirit, called "Kate," was a poltergeist that terrorized the family, particularly the youngest daughter Betsy. The movie An American haunting is legitimately based on the story of the Bell Witch - how accurate the activity in the movie is compared to the actual reports, I don't know, but An American Haunting is an actual portrayal of the legend of the Bell Witch, whereas The Blair Witch Project has a similar sounding name to the legend and that's where the similarities end. No missing search parties, no disembowling, no floating lady with no feet, no nothing.

That being said, I love The Blair Witch Project. It's just in no way true is all :yes:

View PostDamian Bâthory, on 25 November 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

Also, this. Ed Gein inspired Buffalo Bill (The Silence of the Lambs), Norman Bates (Psycho), and Leatherface (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), but in three very different ways. Buffalo Bill represents Gein's gender identity - he wanted to be a woman, and he actually did make a "woman suite" from the skins of recently deceased women. Norman Bates represents Gein's issues pertaining to his mother - she was a very domineering woman, and he became overly dependent on her. Bates' infamous quote "a boy's best friend is his mother" is actually a very accurate description of Gein's relationship with his mother. It was after she died that he began graverobbing and eventually murdering. Leatherface represents what Gein did with the bodies he acquired - masks made from faces (which, you're right, Damian Bathory, he never wore, but instead he used them as wall decorations) lampshades made of skin, furniture made of bones, bowls made of the tops of skulls, etc.

Edited by Madam9, 22 October 2012 - 08:07 PM.

It's important to be both skeptical and open-minded.

#60    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostMirrorImage, on 07 April 2009 - 02:55 PM, said:

QUOTE (JamieSymptom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:28 AM)
I think you just described these video games:

http://en.wikipedia...._1:_Rustin_Parr

The whole Blair Witch Project franchise is notable for its use of elaborate viral marketing to add plausibility to it's back story - fake websites, fake documentaries etc

Sadly thats becoming more and more popular with movies these days. "Based on a true story!" usually means based on a made up story that we will make seem real by spreading a ton of b.s on the news and internet and creating fake documents to back it up. Its a real shame because all it does is hurt any kind of investigation in to incidents that might have a grain of truth to them.

Yeah whatever happened to the good old days of Jason Voorhees, and such. Now we have all these found footage b.s.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users