Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fish cannot feel pain say scientists

fish pain sport angling

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm not sure about pain, but I think I can prove that fish feel discomfort.  Anyone ever heard of Ick or Ich (not German for "I")?  Fish develop spots and start to rub themselves on any abrasive surfaces constantly to relieve the irritation.  If they can't stand this kind of discomfort, then I would think they are probably able to feel pain.  

Another example, my dog was sleeping under the coffee table the other day and when I called him he reared up and bumped his head so hard that it jolted everything on the table.  I know he must've been seeing stars but he still came up to me to say, "What???" even though he didn't display any sign of pain...

Edited by Mantis914, 18 January 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#77    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

We can't even stop the needless torture and killing of millions of fellow human beings each year and yet some of you are worried about if a fish feels pain? Priorities people, priorities.

#78    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostEinsteinium, on 18 January 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

We can't even stop the needless torture and killing of millions of fellow human beings each year and yet some of you are worried about if a fish feels pain? Priorities people, priorities.

That's a false dichotomy.  It's possible to be concerned about both.

#79    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostMantis914, on 18 January 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'm not sure about pain, but I think I can prove that fish feel discomfort.  Anyone ever heard of Ick or Ich (not German for "I")?  Fish develop spots and start to rub themselves on any abrasive surfaces constantly to relieve the irritation.  If they can't stand this kind of discomfort, then I would think they are probably able to feel pain.  

Another example, my dog was sleeping under the coffee table the other day and when I called him he reared up and bumped his head so hard that it jolted everything on the table.  I know he must've been seeing stars but he still came up to me to say, "What???" even though he didn't display any sign of pain...

The fish condition that you mention is more commonly known as 'white spot' and is a parasitic infection. It is easy to cure if treated early but if allowed to go untreated it is fatal. It would most definitely cause the infected fish to feel irritated.

The article from Practical Fishkeeping magazine at the following link gives a much better understanding of the current question of whether or not fish feel pain: http://www.practical...tm_content=html

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#80    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostJoSmith, on 15 January 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

James Rose has been a long-term apologist for the angling industry. This is a review article only, offering opinion. There is a wealth of scientific research that makes it clear that fish do fish pain. For details on the real science see www.fishpain.com

See also: http://www.practical...tm_content=html

Posted Image

​"​A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely fool proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams.

#81    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

This article is bull****, read here: http://www.practical...tm_content=html

#82    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,498 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thank you Mr S for posting. I have gotten to were I really hate reporters.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#83    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 January 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Thank you Mr S for posting. I have gotten to were I really hate reporters.
Reporters love to put a spin on things, if i remember correctly an old lecturer of mine was in the papers with headlines that he had found that a species of invertebrate could save us all from global warming. Turns out in reality he had found that the invertebrate was able to survive large temperature variations, a little less glamorous than saving the world ;)

Heres the paper from the OP i think. http://onlinelibrary....12010/abstract

By the looks of the review its not saying that the don't get the sensory feeling of pain, its more that they dont percieve pain in the way mammals do, although im not an expert from the studies i would say they do.

#84    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thats old agenda which wanted to describe hierarchy in life world.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#85    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Do humans feel pain? There's only one way to find out! :clap:

http://www.youtube.c...&v=Fhm8_1yUqug#!

Edited by MrSerendipity, 20 January 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Posted Image

#86    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

http://www.japantoda...r_2013-01-21_AM

Be kind to sea creatures .

Miss me?

#87    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postskookum, on 14 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

I really can't see the point of capturing something, putting it through a trauma just to look at it and put it back.  Each to their own I guess.
Didn't you catch lightning bugs when you were little?

#88    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 15 January 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

They are highly sort after prize catch over here, on most carp lakes the regulars know the stock well, their size at the last catch, their feeding habits etc....the fish get better treatment then many of the fellas wives ;)
Really?    Interesting.   Are they eaten?   Carp is not a very good fish to eat.  Up and down the Mississippi there are bounties out on asian carp.   I think as much as $1 each in some parts.    The fish is ruining the river and connecting rivers as well as nearby lakes.  
Hopefully they go the way of the thylacine, but I don't see it ever happening.

#89    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postredhen, on 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Not so. It stops  Hindus, Jains, Buddhsts and all the ethical vegans and vegetarians in the world.
But they kill the plants. :tsu:

#90    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,400 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

skookum, on 14 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:
I really can't see the point of capturing something, putting it through a trauma just to look at it and put it back.  Each to their own I guess.

We could ask our alien abductors what their point is.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

Also tagged with fish, pain, sport, angling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users