Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The closer we get,...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Why is that, you think?

Information is beautiful,... here are the for and the against. Science VS pseudo-science. Skeptics VS Believers.  http://www.informati...d-of-the-world/

Believe you me, we will be laughing our butts off at these for many years.

Edited by Hazzard, 18 December 2012 - 05:17 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,485 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm ready for Saturday so all of these threads will die.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

If only that was true.

I fear the dumb after-no-apocalypse threads. Silly theories beyond our worst nightmares. ;)

Edited by Jeffertonturner, 18 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't believe anything will happen but skeptics and NASA themselves have been giving out misinformation as well.

Like the fact NASA said in their video that their calender works like a cars mileage meter, but instead of 9's it's 13000 or whatever the exact number is (it's 13 something they said) and when it hits that number it just starts again from 0 in a never ending circle. Well that  is wrong! lol

This Maya calender does end, then the next one begins and they go on for a very long time. BUT they are all DIFFERENT lengths, they do not work like the mileage clock on a car at all. I was completely shocked that NASA actually said that in their video they released the other day. Just as bad as the end of the world believers giving disinformation.

Anyway the Maya did also say at the end of this calender something will happen with the sun. Obviously if their next calender begins it doesn't mean the world will end, but it could mean there is some change. Might not even be noticeable or they where wrong. lol

But yes the Maya never said it was the end of the world, but NASA and others in the science community are also spreading false information which to me is just as bad. At least tell people the real facts and not some half assed attempt.

Anyway worst case scenario is that our Cell phones and stuff are knocked out for a day or 2. Which might actually be peaceful. lol Even though i could see people panicking, which brings me more onto this subject of NASA and the media handling this whole thing so badly.

If they told it how it was, with the real Maya prophecy etc with the sun and how our cell phones and comms could be knocked out for a while and the history channel etc didn't run all these stupid end of the world documentaries. Then maybe nobody would panic etc.

I blame the media mostly.

Edited by Coffey, 18 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

We all have our own doomsday.. it's called death.  If people knew the time of their own death, they wouldn't be concern about all those silly (or not) theories and worried more about living their life to the fullest.  But hey, who am I to judge.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,037 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostCoffey, on 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

I don't believe anything will happen but skeptics and NASA themselves have been giving out misinformation as well.

Like the fact NASA said in their video that their calender works like a cars mileage meter, but instead of 9's it's 13000 or whatever the exact number is (it's 13 something they said) and when it hits that number it just starts again from 0 in a never ending circle. Well that  is wrong! lol

This Maya calender does end, then the next one begins and they go on for a very long time. BUT they are all DIFFERENT lengths, they do not work like the mileage clock on a car at all. I was completely shocked that NASA actually said that in their video they released the other day. Just as bad as the end of the world believers giving disinformation.

After 60 seconds a new minute begins, after 60 minutes a new hour begins, after 24 hours a new day begins, after 7 days a new week begins, after 12 months a new year begins, after 1 year a new year begins, after 100 years a new century begins, after 1000 years a new millenium begins.

And what NASA said is only an attempt to educate the stupid and gullible, but apparently that wasn't even good enough.

You were "completely shocked"??

Jesus.

#7    F3SS

F3SS

Alien Abducter

• 5,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I got engaged tonight. It's been a long time coming and everybody thought the end of the world would come before I'd ask her. Wether that'll happen on Friday or not, everybody was wrong.

Posted Image

#8    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

• "Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science." ~ Henri Bergson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

I was scared to death about Friday but it was just announced that Mitt Romney and Republican pollsters just came out and announced that the world ending Friday is a "sure thing."

#9    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,470 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

If only that was true.

I fear the dumb after-no-apocalypse threads. Silly theories beyond our worst nightmares. ;)

Thats when the fun begins..... all the morons and their crazy behaviour.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#10    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 19 December 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

I got engaged tonight. It's been a long time coming and everybody thought the end of the world would come before I'd ask her. Wether that'll happen on Friday or not, everybody was wrong.

I've got two things to say

1. Congratulations

2. What the hell you doing on the internet at a time like this?

#11    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

If only that was true.

Come friday night/ saturday morning believers will be searching news stories for one disaster or another so they can start and "oh this is clearly what the mayans were talking about" thread. And with over 400 natural disasters a year (according to EM-DAT) chances are they'll find something. If there wasn't a disaster it would probably be more statically significant.

I can't wait for all the 2012 hype to die down sometime next year.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#12    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Its ok the next ones already loaded ready to go. There wont be lack of material http://earthsky.org/...o-earth-in-2013

http://www.swpc.noaa...s_timeline.html

http://earthquake.us...thquakes/map/

take your pick.

Edited by AsteroidX, 19 December 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#13    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,470 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

And Im sure we have the 2014 ones already to go aswell.

There is no end to the silliness.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#14    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 19 December 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

After 60 seconds a new minute begins, after 60 minutes a new hour begins, after 24 hours a new day begins, after 7 days a new week begins, after 12 months a new year begins, after 1 year a new year begins, after 100 years a new century begins, after 1000 years a new millenium begins.

And what NASA said is only an attempt to educate the stupid and gullible, but apparently that wasn't even good enough.

You were "completely shocked"??

Jesus.

That right there ismy exact reason I was shocked. Nasa shouldn't play stupid games, they should say it like it is. Then we wouldn't have all these people running around thinking it's the and of the world. So all you did was back up my point.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#15    lone wolf2

lone wolf2

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Kik messenger id is lonewolf2. Hit me up some time.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostLady Kasey, on 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

They wont die. They will pick a new date and start again:/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users