Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

ghost hand

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    alanvat

alanvat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

A few years ago a friend of mine had to have his house exorcised,according to him they had seen lots of ghosts and had lots of strange things happening,well things went quiet for  a while but recently they started back up again,my daughter stayed there a few weeks ago and like all teenage girls was taking photos on her phone and she caught this,let me know what you think

Attached Files

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,800 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looks like a double exposure of some kind. Cell phone cameras aren't exactly the best. I mean more than half the device is dedicated to other tasks.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Could be double exposure, could be manipulated photo, sometimes mobile phone cameras can blur and catch things in different places, could be a curious spirit! There's pretty much no way to figure it out now technology allows us to play around with images etc. The activity in the house might be related, children are full of energy and can provoke and intrigue active ghosts. Interesting shot either way :tu:

Edited by DancingCorpse, 21 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#4    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Here's how to reproduce this. It's a classic...

The flash is set for fill flash. That means that what we see in the photo is a combination of the light of the flash and the ambient light. Note that in this photo the light from the flash and the ambient light are just about even. This is not a powerful flash at all. To compensate for the weak flash, the shutter speed is slow to gather as much ambient light as possible.

Someone put a hand on the girl's shoulder when the flash went off then quickly pulled their hand back right after it went off. The girl stood still for the rest of the exposure which allowed the dim ambient light from her shoulder (where the hand was) to fill in that area. They removed their hand quickly enough so that, after the flash, there's no trace of this motion.

[Looking closer, there does appear to be a blurriness to the hand that indicates motion.]

Edited by scowl, 21 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,875 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

i think the girl in the background is scarier

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#6    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostJGirl, on 21 November 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

i think the girl in the background is scarier

:yes:

It the poster had said that no one saw the girl in the background and they don't know who she is, then that's a house I wouldn't sleep in!

#7    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,505 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

What is the curved white line in the top quarter of the photo?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

#8    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

The photo looks like they were taking a picture of themselves in a mirror. Not only does the mirror have a curved cut at the bottom, it looks like two mirrors with curved cuts hung together (very artistic). The white curve is the small gap of wallpaper between the two mirrors. You can see the fancy wallpaper at the bottom of the photo.

That would also explain why the flash was so weak. It was being bounced off of the mirror(s) and the wallpaper.

#9    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,875 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Postscowl, on 21 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Here's how to reproduce this. It's a classic...

The flash is set for fill flash. That means that what we see in the photo is a combination of the light of the flash and the ambient light. Note that in this photo the light from the flash and the ambient light are just about even. This is not a powerful flash at all. To compensate for the weak flash, the shutter speed is slow to gather as much ambient light as possible.

Someone put a hand on the girl's shoulder when the flash went off then quickly pulled their hand back right after it went off. The girl stood still for the rest of the exposure which allowed the dim ambient light from her shoulder (where the hand was) to fill in that area. They removed their hand quickly enough so that, after the flash, there's no trace of this motion.

[Looking closer, there does appear to be a blurriness to the hand that indicates motion.]
Well you live and learn.  I decided to experiment and see if I could recreate the effect.  I put the camera into manual mode and altered the settings accordingly and here's a couple of attempts at creating a transparent hand:

Posted Image

More useful knowledge for future use.  Thanks scowl.

Edited by Archimedes, 21 November 2012 - 08:13 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users